What did Senna mean to you? (long read, feel free to flame)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Richard

Re: What did Senna mean to you? (long read, feel free to fla

Indeed, early violent deaths do seem to strike a chord that echoes for many years. Its the combination of tragedy and that they've not lived long enough to show us that they are mortals. For example compare John Lennon and Paul McCartney. One of them a genius who's life was tragically cut short, the other is an old grandad who can't quite hit the notes anymore.

The almost necrophllic pouring over every detail of Senna's death is sad too. While I think it is tragic that Ratzenberger's death is forgotten, at least he has been allowed to rest in peace.

ChrisF1

richard_leeds wrote:The almost necrophllic pouring over every detail of Senna's death is sad too. While I think it is tragic that Ratzenberger's death is forgotten, at least he has been allowed to rest in peace.
Only natural that it would happen this way. People are far more willing to accept the reason for Ratzenberger's death as "driver error causing a structural failure" and an unquestionable cause of death. The fact that Senna's accident is not fully answered (still speculation is rife on here and around the world) will only lead to more armchair Forensic fans looking for answers that aren't there.

What did Senna mean to me? I was only 4 at the time but my parents say I watched the races with them and was very sad that somebody had been hurt. The accident itself had no impact on me as it is before any memories that I have.

What I have learned of Senna in the 20 years that follow lead me purely to: No compromise, win at any cost, total self belief and confidence. All of which are marks of a winner.

FoxHound

In fairness, Ratzenberger's death has been acknowledged and remembered by many people recently.
It could even be that Ratzenberger is remembered more now than he would otherwise have been.

What Senna means to me? The absolute pinnacle, the epitome of a racing driver.
A pretty decent philanthropist with a legacy outside of the sport that is pretty much unrivalled by any of his peers, today or yesteryear.

But unequivocally, he made you love or hate him. He made you have your say on him. He drew you closer to a sport you liked, but you now love.

My cerveja tonight is in his memory.
JET set

Writinglife

Let's see. I remember the Monday after the event. I was a young (18) year old apprentice mechanic in Toyota Dealership in Wales. One of the mechanics was a Senna fan, but I wasn't into F1 as much as he was. I woke up late and started to watch just after the crash. I sat in silence hoping that Ayrton would be ok. Ratzenberger's death the day before was something else I had missed due to work, and I hoped that this one would turn out better. Once the news got out that Senna was gone, I spent the rest of the day quietly wondering what had happened, and what would happen next.

THat Monday I came into work and it was a little sombre, my colleague was down about it and we all talked about the race, the accident and Senna.

I've learnt more about Ayrton Senna in the following years. I've seen the accident so many times and wondered, like everyone else, what happened. I don't think anyone, Not even Senna himself, really knew what went wrong in that corner. I am grateful that it was a huge catalyst for change. Jackie Stewart's work in the preceding years was a slow fuse and Ayrton and Roland's passing blew real fire into the sport.

Whilst I'm sad at his loss, I think he would have been proud of how the sport matured, but would have been saddened at the "on rails" situation we have now. Racing is still dangerous, but some of the drama and spectacle has been lost. I wonder how many of our lost heroes would react to the sport now. Would they say it's lost the sport in favour of sanitised driving. or would they have wished to be driving the new cars in their era.

Jersey Tom

I was only 9 when he passed, and I wasn't into racing at the time. Wasn't until many years later, talking with [former] coworkers who'd worked with him that I had an appreciation for the guy's level of talent.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

schick

I don't as a rule get involved in fanboy behaviour, but as someone who saw his first Grand Prix in 1954, personally met Fangio, and Stirling Moss among others, raced in the same era as Alan Jones (but nowhere as successful), I consider my thoughts on the anniversary of Ayrton's passing as worthwhile, he was quite simply the best, a fierce racer with personal flaws like everybody, I was devastated to watch my idol die especially following Ratzenbergers the day before. Don't forget I had already been preconditioned to death in motor racing, earlier years we would loose a couple a year!!!.....but not Ayrton....he was supreme, surely it couldn't happen to him? alas. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to thank Ayrton for all the wonderful,exciting, controversial, years of the sport I still love.