Roland Ratzenberger

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
beatbot
beatbot

Roland Ratzenberger

This past week I have enjoyed all the Senna coverage, however I feel most people do not realise Roland. I did see Remembering Roland by Sky which was awesome to see. Top lad I could pick up.

But most I appreciate about him was he never gave up. He did not have money to getting to F1, but he gave it his all until the very end. And his will to learn and understand to get to and stay in F1. For me as a person who comes from a background of financial difficulty, his legacy will always stay with me to never give up on my dreams. No matter how old I get.

Any thoughts?

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Re: Roland Ratzenberger

I find it difficult to view any story about somebody who died young without being sceptical about how romanticised the story is, but Roland seemed to be a genuinely lovely person, skilled all round racing driver and had a gift with words - the story about him sending back a 'testing debrief' which was actually a report on a night of lovemaking with a lady from MTV was classic.

I thought that the piece Sky did about Roland was very good, really nicely put together.

timbo
timbo

beatbot wrote:This past week I have enjoyed all the Senna coverage, however I feel most people do not realise Roland. I did see Remembering Roland by Sky which was awesome to see. Top lad I could pick up.

But most I appreciate about him was he never gave up. He did not have money to getting to F1, but he gave it his all until the very end. And his will to learn and understand to get to and stay in F1. For me as a person who comes from a background of financial difficulty, his legacy will always stay with me to never give up on my dreams. No matter how old I get.

Any thoughts?
Yes. I think there is an inspiration in his story.
Never give up.

Alpha Zero
Alpha Zero

Does anyone know if there was ever a court trial to investigate Ratzenberger's death? Or his demise was not worth of such procedures as Senna's was?

Wasn't his accident (opposed to Senna's!) witnessed to have been caused by a mechanical failure?

NathanOlder

As far as I remember, Roland's accident was mechanical, but its just one of those things, a large % of driver deaths are caused by something breaking. I think the difference was largely down to the black boxes in the williams. Being destroyed and put back just made the whole thing a sticky mess, and ended up in court.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC