Breathing cars imagined as the future of F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Kiril Varbanov

Breathing cars imagined as the future of F1

Perhaps something to chew in between:
http://www.cnet.com/news/oculus-rift-an ... ure-of-f1/

Manoah2u

Re: Breathing cars imagined as the future of F1

rather have something like this: (even though i don't)

besides, it would never work. how could 'augmented reality' helmets envision the wake of the car in front?
it would need data of the actual car to provide a realistic 'wake/slipstream'. So it's useless.

Besides that, it would cost too much research for it to happen - apart from the fact it is 100% fantasy and 0% actually working, there is no way 'gasping air' is going to result in some miracle boost after the corner. if any, it generates drag.

It's far more efficient and cost-saving to use flexi floors, ground effects, etc.

Even more, it'll never be allowed because they are concidered 'moving aerodynamics' which is banned.

So Lotus spent money on some unbased fantasy stuff instead of spending it on their f1 personnel.

I see f1 using Nitro boost before that. and that will never happen.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

mertol

Great. More artificial crap was exactly what F1 needed.

Lycoming

Not gonna lie, when I saw the headline, I thought they wanted to make them race in evangelions. Which would probably be pretty cool.

machin

"Breathing" sounds a bit weird... but active aerodynamics in which the side-pod openings open and close in accordance with road speed (i.e close up a bit at high speed), makes perfect sense... active cooling aerodynamics is already fitted on some roadcars (http://www.greencarreports.com/news/107 ... mprove-mpg) and would allow racecars to do the same lap times whilst using less fuel.
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH