2014 Barcelona test (13-14 May)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Rikhart

Re: 2014 Barcelona test (13-14 May)

1 P. Maldonado 1:24.871 102
2 N. Rosberg 1:25.805 102
3 K. Räikkönen 1:26.480 93
4 E. Gutiérrez 1:26.972 84
5 S. Wolff 1:27.280 55
6 J. Bianchi 1:27.718 55
7 S. Vettel 1:27.973 72
8 D. Juncadella 1:28.278 91
9 S. Vandoorne 1:28.441 136
10 D. Kvyat 1:28.910 21

Results with number of laps at the end.

aleks_ader

In my opinion Chiltons time on SS tire (red marks) is normal and shows clearly the coumpound difference...
Pirelli after Bahrain test no2 wrote:The Super-soft (red) is around 0.7s per lap faster that Soft (yelow)
Soft is aorund 1.3 – 1.5s per lap quicker than Medium(silver)
Medium are around 1.3-1.5s per lap quicker that Hard (orange)

Review of "expected" coumpound differences:
SS<->Soft = -0.7s
SS<->Med =-2.2s
SS<->Hard= -3.7s

So reason behind Chiltons huge time difference no doubt lies in SS tire coumpouds. That tire also suited to the Mr03 and the track. At that prettly low apshalt temp, average DF levels of 2014 grid and many other still existing drivebility issiues was last weekend in Catalunya edvident that the choosen harden coumpounds was maybe wrong Pirelli decision afterall.

There were a lot of graining (colder tires; not in optimum working range) and for coincidence many cars were dancing around a lot. That appeared on both tires. So overall the compounds doesn't work properly so the extraction of optimum time lap was less likely. So from setup point of view we could easily add another 0.7s.

So if we add additional 0.7s from wrong tire choice and 2.2s from sticky rubber we get exaclty 3s witch we looking for. So all factors togehter clicked for Marussia. Cudos for them, nice sponsorship boost. Nice try from their side.

Source of data http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/03/03/ ... n-bahrain/
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

godlameroso

Testing has definitely revealed something interesting about the tires, so good find. We notice that perhaps the hard compound is redundant. I think for the remainder of the year Pirelli should keep to the super soft, soft, and medium compounds.
Saishū kōnā

sennaf1god.94

SchumacherM wrote:SS-Med difference can't be 3 seconds and not between the worst and the best car on the grid? What on earth happened? :lol:
Current Supersofts are based on 2013 Soft compound...
Current Mediums are based on 2013 Hard compound...

3 seconds is actually the gap between these two compounds, so what´s the fuss about?

Just realizing that Pirelli is ruling and ruining the sport simply by choosing tyres overly conservative (two steps harder than a year ago) at each race? Ask Sergio Perez his opinion...
Sergio Perez says GP2 is embarrassing F1, blames Pirelli
Sergio Perez has blamed tyre supplier Pirelli for what he calls the "embarrassing" gap between the pace of this year's Formula 1 and GP2 cars.

Perez has already criticised this year's new breed of F1 racing as "boring" and urged Pirelli to be more aggressive with its compound choices to improve the spectacle for fans and the driving experience for the racers.

"When you look at the difference with GP2 I think it's a little bit embarrassing that the GP2 cars are so close to us with the budgets they have," said Perez, whose fastest time in Spanish Grand Prix practice was only half a second quicker than the fastest time set in GP2 practice.

"Pirelli needs to be more aggressive on their compounds because on Sunday you will see a race where everyone follows each other and it will be just a boring race.

"It's not good for the sport."

Perez said the harder tyres introduced for this season do not match with the levels of downforce on the cars, which have substantially reduced thanks to winter regulation changes.

"We have less downforce than last year but I think the [tyre] compound effect is far too big," Perez added.

"Pirelli is not helping us at all to be able to push and enjoy more the driving.

"I think they overreacted last year to the issues they had with tyre delaminations.

"I hope they will listen to us. All the drivers in the briefing we have are complaining we are sliding all the time and [it's] difficult to find any grip.

"I hope Pirelli reacts to this, listens to the drivers and the fans, and does something to have more interesting racing, because like this it will be a boring Sunday for the fans."
I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's.

Ayrton Senna da Silva

beelsebob

sennaf1god.94 wrote:
SchumacherM wrote:SS-Med difference can't be 3 seconds and not between the worst and the best car on the grid? What on earth happened? :lol:
Current Supersofts are based on 2013 Soft compound...
Current Mediums are based on 2013 Hard compound...

3 seconds is actually the gap between these two compounds, so what´s the fuss about?

Just realizing that Pirelli is ruling and ruining the sport simply by choosing tyres overly conservative (two steps harder than a year ago) at each race? Ask Sergio Perez his opinion...
FFS, They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't...

6 months ago Pirelli were "ruling and ruining" the sport simply by choosing tyres that disintegrated at the mere sight of tarmac! (at least that's what this forum's message was, loud and clear). Now, apparently, they provide the same tyres, but exactly 1 step more conservative, and they're again to blame for all it's woes? :shock: :roll:

Is it not possible perhaps that you lot got exactly what you asked for, rather than pirelli "ruling and ruining" anything?

Aside: I'm glad you got exactly what you asked for - we're now seeing cars sliding about, and dancing, and doing all kinds of fun things.