Do you want to ask a question to anyone in F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dayzer
dayzer

Do you want to ask a question to anyone in F1?

Heya everybody,

I don't think ive introduced myself here when I joined! Silly me! My name is Aron Day, and I run FormulaSpy.com

It's mainly news, but we try to write unique content such as our Team Mate Battles features.

Anyway we are attending the Monaco GP as Media. This is my first event as a journalist! It is going to be scary :o

Ive got two interviews lined up - Graham Watson,Team Manager of Caterham, and a tour of the Caterham Garage.
Tom McCullough, Chief engineer of Sahara Force India, with a tour of their garage too.

I will be in Monaco from Wednesday so if anyone has any questions for anyone let me know, and ill try get them answered!

Remember we are representing you, allow us to be your voice, and we'll do our best to get answers!

On a side note, are any of you attending the MonacoGP?

MODs - hope this is ok to post.
For all your F1 needs - FormulaSpy.com

Cam

Re: Do you want to ask a question to anyone in F1?

My question, which is perfect for both teams - two parts: why do smaller teams join F1, only to then complain about the cost? Is it a deliberate tactic to try to reduce the costs and level the field, knowing they've entered F1 and can't compete at the top level at their current budget rates, or have the teams simply bitten off more than they can chew and now try to force change to maintain their own survival?
โ€œThere is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.โ€
โ€• Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. ยฉ all rights reserved.

dayzer
dayzer

Cam wrote:My question, which is perfect for both teams - two parts: why do smaller teams join F1, only to then complain about the cost? Is it a deliberate tactic to try to reduce the costs and level the field, knowing they've entered F1 and can't compete at the top level at their current budget rates, or have the teams simply bitten off more than they can chew and now try to force change to maintain their own survival?
Great question Cam!

This would be better answered by the Team Principles, so ill try and ask it at the press conference on Thursday!

Thanks

Aron

kakarat
kakarat

I have a couple

1) When can the new nose announced at the at the time of launch be expected

2) Update on the following article from August 2013 on the plans to expand the factory and upgradation of wind tunnel

Force India set to upgrade facilities once F1 spending rules clear
Mallya added that the team also has plans to expand its factory, located across the road from the main entrance of Silverstone.

"We are looking at some land adjacent to the factory to cater for future expansion," he said. "You can't get a better location."

PlatinumZealot

From the technical side, I want to the pros and cons of air or water intercooling, and which one do they use.

Thanks, Aron.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Mine is rather a debate of the technical aspects of the engine, primarily around valve timing.

Is there any scope to freeing up the regulations around valve timing with the future engine regulations? There are obvious performance gains to be made by introducing a system in which the valve dynamics is independent of engine speed in the search for further fuel economy and even potentially turbo scavenging efficiency.

The other question is in relation to Mercedes engine and chassis domination: Is there any scope for freeing up engine development in season, however any updates must be as part of a teams allotment for the year. This 'advantage' that Mercedes have with the positioning of their turbo might be enough on its own to dominate the season. This is obviously against FOM and the sports best interests with creating close and competitive racing. I understand currently that incremental upgrades, in the pursuit of reliability and economy are being introduced this way, but wholesale changes to the turbo placement / MGU-H fundamental design are banned? It seems to me that it would be inherently more costly for a engine manufacturer to lose the potential places in the constructors by having a design weakness enforced for the entirety of the season.

I'm not sure who would be best to answer these questions, but if you manage to get some dialogue from anyone in the F1 circus on these topics I would be very interested to hear their views.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Moxie
Moxie

Cam wrote:My question, which is perfect for both teams - two parts: why do smaller teams join F1, only to then complain about the cost? Is it a deliberate tactic to try to reduce the costs and level the field, knowing they've entered F1 and can't compete at the top level at their current budget rates, or have the teams simply bitten off more than they can chew and now try to force change to maintain their own survival?
And a few follow up questions:

What do you think about F1 prize money structure?
Why do you continue to shovel money into Bernie Eccelstone's personal profit machine?
With a 10/1 financial disadvantage (Caterham), what do you really hope to achieve?

dayzer
dayzer

Thanks for all the questions guys!

Keep them coming! 8)

Ill try and get as many asked as possible and report back my findings!

Tim.Wright

Why don't the cars fill up with water when it rains?
Not the engineer at Force India

mikeerfol

To Caterham's Team manager: What exactly is the situation between your team and Renault in terms of payment for the engines?

turbof1

To both: what SPECIFIC ideas do they have to reduce costs without standarization and homologation, to avoid turning f1 into a spec series while keeping it sustainable?

They might try to avoid a direct answer, so how you'll pose the question will be very important.
#AeroFrodo

Kiril Varbanov

Tim.Wright wrote:Why don't the cars fill up with water when it rains?
May I intervene? It's because of the aerodynamics and the ariflow which does not allow the drops to fall into the cockpit. There's certainly no drainage as this would hurt the underside flow. On the standing grid position there are umbrellas, but even if there aren't any, the racing suits are water-proof, while the drivers are squeezed into the survival cell and there's no much room anyway.
My personal experience on a test drive was with BMW Z4 the entire afternoon in the rain - let's say that above 60 km/h there's literally no water going inside the car.
mikeerfol wrote:To Caterham's Team manager: What exactly is the situation between your team and Renault in terms of payment for the engines?
The contract details are, of course, confidential, but I have got reinforcement of the latest team statement that they are not late with payment.

Certainly, I'd love to hear the people from the paddock.

dayzer
dayzer

Thanks Guys!

Anyone have any questions for the drivers?

Will be at the press conference tomorrow! :)

http://www.formulaspy.com/galleries/photos/monaco-gp

mikeerfol

Can you ask Kimi if everything is clarified in terms of strategy etc regarding what happened at the previous race?

EDIT: Will you also be at the Thurday Press Conference?

dayzer
dayzer

mikeerfol wrote:Can you ask Kimi if everything is clarified in terms of strategy etc regarding what happened at the previous race?

EDIT: Will you also be at the Thurday Press Conference?
Yes I will also be at the Thursday Press Conference :)