Monaco 2014 - Hamilton wanted immediate pitstop

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Rodzilla

Monaco 2014 - Hamilton wanted immediate pitstop

Hamilton wanted the pitstop as soon as he saw the crash from the tunnel and he was complaining about it during and after the race, he wanted a straight undercut on rosberg to try to get ahead and didnt want to stack up in the pitlane

Lewis is wrong in more ways than one, of course his evil plan to undercut Rosberg is incorrect, it goes against the established idea that the lead driver gets priority, but even if mercedes gave him that pitstop then he would have lost alot of time compared to people around him

Lets break it down, Rosberg continues on as Hamilton pits behind him, Raikkonen is 12s behind and he continues on

Hamilton exits the pitane in 5th place, around 25 seconds behind Rosberg who is at Mirabeau, 13 seconds behind Raikkonen and 12 behind Ricciardo

So now the safety car comes out 10 seconds later as Hamilton is on his way up the hill, he and everyone else immediately needs to slow down to a delta time, almost safety car pace, at this time Kimi is 13 seconds ahead lets say around Mirabeau but because Hamilton now has to crawl around to that part of the track it now takes him much longer to get there (I did a comparison of how long it takes drivers to exit the tunnel and reach tabac in normal conditions and while slowed to a delta time and its just less than double) kimi now has a much larger lead over lewis and might even exit the pits ahead of him

In conclusion lewis isnt smart and should leave the tactics to others

Gaz.

Re: Hamilton wanted immediate pitstop

"In conclusion lewis isnt smart and should leave the tactics to others"

Well I guess that's the difference between a spur of the moment call that has to be decided in 20 seconds max, and having a full day to come up with a counter argument that it was better to stay out after all.
Forza Jules

beelsebob

While you put it in a distinctly flame filled way, yes, this would never have paid off. It would trade time on track going at racing speed for time on track going at safety car delta speed. That's never going to pay off.

Rodzilla

Gaz. wrote:"In conclusion lewis isnt smart and should leave the tactics to others"

Well I guess that's the difference between a spur of the moment call that has to be decided in 20 seconds max, and having a full day to come up with a counter argument that it was better to stay out after all.
trust me he doesnt understand the situation, even after the race he was going on about it and he probably still feels the team kept him down

a professional driver should know that an undercut wouldnt work if he has to drive slowly on his outlap lol, hopefully someone from the team explains it to him

Rodzilla

beelsebob wrote:While you put it in a distinctly flame filled way, yes, this would never have paid off. It would trade time on track going at racing speed for time on track going at safety car delta speed. That's never going to pay off.
I think there is a confusion that pitting earliest under the safety car is better, there have been situations in the past when leaders didnt pit and got picked up by the safety car, also the rule set when you couldnt pit under safety car situations meant that getting in before the safety car was deployed was huge

beelsebob

Rodzilla wrote:
beelsebob wrote:While you put it in a distinctly flame filled way, yes, this would never have paid off. It would trade time on track going at racing speed for time on track going at safety car delta speed. That's never going to pay off.
I think there is a confusion that pitting earliest under the safety car is better, there have been situations in the past when leaders didnt pit and got picked up by the safety car, also the rule set when you couldnt pit under safety car situations meant that getting in before the safety car was deployed was huge
The other significant change is within the past few years the drivers have had to stop going at racing speed as soon as the SC has been deployed, rather than when they're picked up by it.

turbof1

It did took a short while though before the safety car was announced. I don't know where the mercedes cars were at the moment when Sutil crashed. Does anybody? If they were close to the pits at the moment it happened, Hamilton could perhaps have pitted and be back out before the safety car was announced. Or not, depending on where he was.
#AeroFrodo

Rodzilla

turbof1 wrote:It did took a short while though before the safety car was announced. I don't know where the mercedes cars were at the moment when Sutil crashed. Does anybody? If they were close to the pits at the moment it happened, Hamilton could perhaps have pitted and be back out before the safety car was announced. Or not, depending on where he was.
they were passing him a few seconds after he crashed, but the leaders passed the pitlane before the safety car was deployed, button was who 38 seconds behind the leader was the first guy to pit as it was deployed, so thats how i got my calculations that hamilton would be about 5-10 seconds into his outlap when the safety car was announced and that rosberg would have been at about Mirabeau

thomin

turbof1 wrote:It did took a short while though before the safety car was announced. I don't know where the mercedes cars were at the moment when Sutil crashed. Does anybody? If they were close to the pits at the moment it happened, Hamilton could perhaps have pitted and be back out before the safety car was announced. Or not, depending on where he was.

I'm pretty sure that the SC was only deployed after both Lewis and Nico passed to pit entry...it certainly took quite a while until it appeared. The first car that pitted was Button and he was 40 seconds down on the two Mercedes at that point.

CHT
CHT

Both nico and Lewis were just about to enter the tunnel when sutil crash and they are the first two drivers that saw the crash. I think Lewis was calling for pit the moment when he saw sutil.

siskue2005

Many of you are immediately ready to bash Lewis, just understand what happened

He said he knew there will be a safety car for that crash as they both passed the crashed car....Lewis wanted to pit immediately but they couldn't do it coz Nico gets choice as he is leading
All he is implying is Nico or team didn't call to come into pits immediately as the second time they all stacked up and could have lost lewis second place to Ricardo ...which was pretty much the risk In stacking up (similar to what happened to Schumacher at turkey 2006)

MercedesAMGSpy

Rodzilla wrote:
Gaz. wrote:"In conclusion lewis isnt smart and should leave the tactics to others"

trust me he doesnt understand the situation, even after the race he was going on about it and he probably still feels the team kept him down

a professional driver should know that an undercut wouldnt work if he has to drive slowly on his outlap lol, hopefully someone from the team explains it to him
Oh guys you are so smart, analysing everything in hindsight. I understand his questions, it was his only chance to try something to pass Rosberg. Now they did nothing and he couldn't do anything.

MrBlacky

The SC was deployed when Nico and Lewis arrived at the Mirabeau. So let's say that about 30 seconds from the pit entry to Mirabeau. A pitstop took about 25 seconds. His gap to Rosberg would have been at around 20 seconds when leaving the pits.*

I don't know what exactly the SC delta is, but I don't see the point why Hamilton could not have passed Rosberg that way.

*According to the F1 App.

Rodzilla

siskue2005 wrote:Many of you are immediately ready to bash Lewis, just understand what happened

He said he knew there will be a safety car for that crash as they both passed the crashed car....Lewis wanted to pit immediately but they couldn't do it coz Nico gets choice as he is leading
All he is implying is Nico or team didn't call to come into pits immediately as the second time they all stacked up and could have lost lewis second place to Ricardo ...which was pretty much the risk In stacking up (similar to what happened to Schumacher at turkey 2006)
I understand what happened completely and my example is what would happen if lewis got what he wanted and pitted immediately, he was in no danger of losing 2nd place the way it worked out, kimi entered his pit as lewis exited even after lewis backed off too much again (same as what happened in 2013 Monaco GP)

But if lewis got what he wanted he could have lost more time, maybe it would come down to who could cheat the delta time the most between himself and kimi, also another thing that could have worked against lewis was that alonso might have backed himself off not wanting to stack up behind kimi and that would have lost lewis the position (But it would have to be a major back off from Alonso)

Rodzilla

MrBlacky wrote:The SC was deployed when Nico and Lewis arrived at the Mirabeau. So let's say that about 30 seconds from the pit entry to Mirabeau. A pitstop took about 25 seconds. His gap to Rosberg would have been at around 20 seconds when leaving the pits.*

I don't know what exactly the SC delta is, but I don't see the point why Hamilton could not have passed Rosberg that way.

*According to the F1 App.
The pitstop took 25 seconds so he would be about 25 seconds behind Rosberg?

I guarantee that he would not have beaten Rosberg with that strategy, that is entirely out of the question according to logic