2014 low downforce opinions?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
loweyz

2014 low downforce opinions?

I for one love seeing a little bit of squirm out of the corners, some of the drivers seem to love it, some are not adapting as well as there teams would hope.

I am opening this thread in the hopes of hearing all your opinions, do you believe its all heading in the right direction or do you prefer teams to use the utmost of technology making them faster

Wether you prefer cars on rails like the monstrous rb9 or a possibility of a future were we are better off putting sebastian loeb behind the wheel, tell me how you feel.
enjoy!
The problem with a rat race is, even if you win your stiil a rat.

beelsebob

Re: 2014 low downforce opinions?

We already have plenty of threads for people to whine about how 2014 is slower. Why don't we use them?

loweyz

I was trying to stick away from the whole performance thing and go for the personal entertainment views of people, and what there hopes are for the future of this amazing sport

Jersey Tom

For entertainment value? I'd rather see a closer field so it's not practically a given who will have front row or win every week...
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

loweyz

Jersey Tom wrote:For entertainment value? I'd rather see a closer field so it's not practically a given who will have front row or win every week...
A great view if it wasnt for the silver arrow this year what an amazing season it would be

beelsebob

Jersey Tom wrote:For entertainment value? I'd rather see a closer field so it's not practically a given who will have front row or win every week...
That's an odd thing to say after RedBull just won a race ;).

mnmracer

Although it was helped by the rainy conditions, I liked how in qualifying for the Australian Grand Prix it really seemed like they were just trying to tame this monster of a machine, dragging it around the corners (especially the one leading up to the main straight). It also seems like you have more drivers taking different lines now (especially following each other during the race); I think the lower downforce might contribute to this because the dirty air has less of an impact.

Sevach

I actually enjoy the low downforce.
These engines however...

Powerslide

Watching formula one strictly for entertainment, there are many other methods of entertainment to go about. I do agree with low downforce that is will need the best of drivers to handle but at the same time the car will be far more forgiving. That also means drivers will move around the limit more often. With downforce, especially at mid to high speed corners, grip becomes like a switch the faster the corner, it becomes too downforce dependant and when slip happens, everything goes. Nowdays we only see car control at lower speed corners where in the older days they even slide flat out.

They still do need downforce but enough for high speed stability. Other than that, with cars having such low center of gravity and width, stability would not much of an issue. If there was ever a very effective way to cut cost, this would be it. Even fuel consumption will be reduced. Today's car, the suspension, side-pods, exhaust outlet, wing mirrors, brake ducts which use to cool brakes, wheel nut, suspension arms and even seating position all have much more to do with downforce rather than a mechanical advantage
speed

SiLo

I'm loving the racing this year, but I think one of the big causes is actually the tracks themselves. I'd like to see the old Hockenheim come back, with more open tracks and less need for downforce.

Please don't tell me to go watch Nascar or Indycar though!
Felipe Baby!

liamsondave

theres some very valid points in this thread though, let the man whine lol i get 3 off this list so everyones entitled to moan psychological disorders list
Last edited by liamsondave on 11 Jun 2014, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

Jersey Tom

beelsebob wrote:
That's an odd thing to say after RedBull just won a race ;).
I don't think it is..
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

MOWOG

First, this is a useful thread.

Second, there have been some worthwhile posts already.

Third, and this is just my opinion and I have no data or specs to back it up, personally I love to see a race car squirming around on the track, scrabbling for traction. But then I grew up in an era where executing a perfect 4 wheel drift was a mark of distinction. I know sliding around overheats the tires and the teams hate it from an engineering perspective because they want everything about the car to be predictable and precise, but I love it! :D
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

loweyz

I vote for a twisty formula 1 mountain stage maybe bathurst, it would be great to see but a nightmare for engi's

mertol

Why have low downforce when you can slide around because of high power.