Imminent F1 shakeup?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bhall II

Re: Imminent F1 shakeup?

Christian Horner is certainly good at spending other people's money, but I'm not sure that makes him qualified to run F1.

I dunno. I can't even hazard a guess at the direction things will take post-Ecclestone. Whatever it is, or whoever takes the reins, I doubt it'll make much sense.

EDIT: Hello, new page. It's been a while.

garrett

bhall II wrote:Classic Joe Saward: only sees what he wants to see.
No in that case he sees all too clear. Like most people do.

Btw, if you want to know how it really is ask Joe. =D>

bhall II

You mean like the time he completely whitewashed the Bahraini uprising after being hoodwinked spectacularly by government loyalists, who, without any prompting whatsoever, just happened to seek him out to offer a tour of the "real" Bahrain in 2012?

By swallowing that propaganda hook, line, and sinker, Joe Saward ignored every major news outlet in the world - read: the real journalists - in favor of two strangers he met at a Starbucks in Manama.

As to your link, Saward sits on Caterham Group's board of directors, so, of course, he's got a problem with the Ferrari vision of Formula One's future: he was paid to see it that way.

The man is an outright disgrace to journalism.

flyboy2160

Please don't let this get sidetracked into a JS debate. [edit] or into journo bashing debate. Start a separate journalist rating thread if you want - leave it out of this one.

bhall II

C'mon, I would never self-righteously venture off-topic with an uncompromising viewpoint. :D

flyboy2160

bhall II wrote:C'mon, I would never self-righteously venture off-topic with an uncompromising viewpoint. :D
:-# Unless He Who Shall Not Be Named is involved. :D

garrett

The problem is: What vision??? LdM`s constant whining about regulations and technologies he is also responsible for, as I don´t know anything about a Ferrari veto? His constant remarks about "taxi drivers" and "need to fix F1" are embarassing and arrogant. Going to the 24h of Le Mans where even more hybrid and efficiency technology is requested than in F1? "Quitting F1, episode 2343"?? Not even his own idea btw:
The old man was not going to walk away quietly. Enzo wanted an end to the 1.5-litre turbo formula in F1, so suggested a new idea to Ecclestone. If F1 would switch to a 3.5-litre normally aspirated formula for 1989, allowing his beloved 12-cylinder engines to compete again, Ferrari would cease work on the IndyCar project.
Source: http://www.motorsportretro.com/2014/05/ferrari-indy/

Additionally, the current Ferrari Turbo V6 is a shame, not because it`s a bad engine but because of the ridiculous mistakes that were made, wrecking the whole 2014 season. And that out of a budget which is enriched by additional 120 billions, paid out before any price money is divided by the teams.....Only Domenicali and Marmorini responsible for it? Who is the CEO?

I would prefer the Mercedes vision if I were him: Concentrate on work and win. :lol:

bhall II

I agree that Montezemolo is probably not the best spokesmodel for those who are troubled by the current direction of the sport, because it's too easy to assume he's just bitter about the state of his team. But, he's far from the only one who thinks F1 is too slow or that the cars sound terrible or that the racing is boring or that the rules are too restrictive. Right or wrong, he's just taken it upon himself to lead the charge.
garrett wrote:Going to the 24h of Le Mans where even more hybrid and efficiency technology is requested than in F1?
That's a Joe Saward line, the origin of which is easy enough to decipher, because the statement misses the point entirely. :lol:
One-Eyed Joe wrote:Firstly, Ferrari’s only real option if it wants to have any exposure in the sport is to go Le Mans, where the key to success is… efficiency.
The reason to compete at Le Mans is because the rules are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar less restrictive than in Formula One. In terms of powertrain development, manufacturers need only comply with progressive fuel and ERS rates; the rest is basically wide open. In other words, it closely resembles what Formula One used to be, which is a very big reason why it's attracting all sorts of interest from manufacturers.

And speaking of manufacturers, don't forget, Ferrari is not the only automaker that's threatened to leave F1 unless its (marketing-driven) demands were met.

Sombrero

No credibility for Ferrari and LdM : just think about the special treatments from FiA (veto) and FOM (extra-payment).

LdM is not happy because Ferrari is going to lose this advantages over the others manufactureers . This is going to be the imminent F1 shakeup EEC driven...

Moxie

Sombrero wrote:No credibility for Ferrari and LdM : just think about the special treatments from FiA (veto) and FOM (extra-payment).

LdM is not happy because Ferrari is going to lose this advantages over the others manufactureers . This is going to be the imminent F1 shakeup EEC driven...
Agreed! The biggest problem Ferrari's in F1 is failing to recognize that Ferrari is a big part of the problem.

Andres125sx

Even when I agree LdM is biased and his words should be taken with a grain of salt, it´s funny to read people who complain about last F1 rules, but also complain about people who agree with them on this :mrgreen:

bhall II

Dissatisfaction doesn't have to be the result of a bias...
grandprix.com wrote:Lauda wants re-think after decade of F1 revolution

Niki Lauda has proposed a sweeping review of every rule change in formula one for the past decade.

For some, the all-new era of quiet turbo V6 engines was the final straw that broke the floodgates of fierce criticism.

The harshest critic has been Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, who has called for an emergency meeting with F1's major stakeholders.

On Thursday, FIA president Jean Todt said he is happy to sit down for such a meeting, inviting other important voices including former F1 drivers to speak up.

The first to accept the invitation is Niki Lauda, an F1 legend and Mercedes' team chairman.

"We should draw up a list of all the rules that have been introduced or rewritten in the last ten years," the great Austrian told Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.

The German magazine says it counts 77 major technical and sporting rule changes since 2005, including to qualifying, points, tyres, spare cars, long-life engines, traction control, testing, KERS, DRS, bodywork, team orders, exhausts, diffusers, and many more.

Lauda said: "We should do a rule-by-rule check of what every change brought to us -- what made sense, what did not."

FoxHound

Lauda in sensible statement shock!

He's right. But what chances the plea falls on deaf ears?
JET set

bhall II

Roughly the same as the odds that Bernie Ecclestone is soulless, I imagine.

iotar__

Lauda is making some random populist, unrealistic noise to draw attention to himself and get applause from good-old-times crowd. I remember 2004, what a year that was, classic, pure F1, everyone was ten years younger, you can't beat that, maybe only with twenty years younger (but less people included?), it all went downhill in 2005. 10 years? What kind of random period is that, what exactly was so great about 2004? Wasn't it traction control and grooved tyres period, WTH? How impure and not classic.

Another Lauda's idea - no penalties for racing incidents, yes - drivers should self-police themselves, or something like that?would work great.