Standing starts after an SC Period in 2015, do you like it?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Standing starts after an SC Period in 2015, do you like it?

Yes.
16%
No.
70%
Maybe a bit.
14%

Total votes: 135

bhall II

Re: Standing starts after an SC Period in 2015, do you like

MOWOG wrote:
You know how an animal will sometimes twitch for a few moments after it dies? Double points, exhaust megaphones, sparky skid blocks, and standing restarts are Formula One's post-mortem spasms.
That's quite droll. :wink: Pithy, even.
Yeah, but what did you think of the bouquet?

adrianjordan

Aesto wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:So let me get this straight.

There's an accident that warrant the Safety Car coming out. The reason for the Safety Car is that it controls the field and makes it safer for the Marshals and any other staff attending the accident, am I right?

So what they're now proposing is that they will bring out the safety car, control the field while the staff are working and THEN bring the field to a halt for a restart..??

Why not simply stop the race whenever there's an accident big enough to warrant the Safety Car?? Apply a limiter to control the pace of the cars back to the grid, stop the race until the accident is cleared up and then restart the race. I cannot see the logic in still having the field drive past the accident if they're going to have a standing restart anyway. Okay so it means that they'll need to turn off the engines etc, but surely that would still be far safer than lapping under the safety car when they're going to stop for the restart anyway...

What am I missing??
I was thinking about this as well, as it really would have helped after the first Safety Car in Canada, with the debris and oil from the Marussias right on the racing line. I think the main problem with this concept is brake, tyre and engine temps, which need to be managed. This requires team personnel to be on the grid, as well as a warm-up lap. That's quite a significant delay. That's another problem in itself: many TV stations have quite a rigid schedule, and if an F1 race drags on significantly longer than expected, they won't be too fond of that.

If all these problems can be solved, I think that red-flagging races instead of sending out the SC would be a good idea, but that's easier said than done.
bhall II wrote:You know how an animal will sometimes twitch for a few moments after it dies? Double points, exhaust megaphones, sparky skid blocks, and standing restarts are Formula One's post-mortem spasms.
Bahrain and Canada were easily the best two races in the last five, possibly even ten years. All this doomsday-talk is getting old :roll:
Logically if you don't have the field passing by every couple of minutes then you can have more people and machinery working to clear the track etc...which could, in theory, reduce delays...even if there was then a warm up lap prior to the restart...

Also, would this apply when the safety car is brought out due to heavy rain? Presumably they wouldn't use this rule when they wanted a rolling start on safety grounds...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

donskar

Sad. Very sad. RIP F1.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Mamba

adrianjordan wrote: Logically if you don't have the field passing by every couple of minutes then you can have more people and machinery working to clear the track etc...which could, in theory, reduce delays...even if there was then a warm up lap prior to the restart...
You do have a point here but would it not be easier to keep the cars running rather than risking another incident when they restart. This does most certainly not happen often yes , but when the cars are all bunched up together at the start that sets the ideal time for an accident to happen.
If the cars are all following it will be easier to restart without the danger of an accident. Also if they stop the cars then we have lots of personnel on the track again with all the equipment needed to restart the cars and so on.

This is very sad for F1 and I am new to the sport but even I can see that the way things are going with no real goal it sets the stage for a very bad ending indeed.

MAMBA

SectorOne

Everytime you increase the chance for overtakes you increase the risk of crashes. In fact, most crashes are probably because of overtakes.
Standing start will provide lots and lots of overtaking possibilies, and consequently lots and lots of crashes.

I´m not sure who runs Formula 1 but it seems the goal is to destroy what´s left of it.
There seems to be a clear disconnect in terms of what people actually want to see and what the strategic group thinks we want, after every meeting they are confused why people revolt which is quite funny.

Give a medal to the person who came up with the idea of fake sparks.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

FrukostScones

it's complicated (the new rule with loads of exceptions)
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 16745.html

but it is confirmed:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114655

:roll: :roll:
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

WaikeCU

I rather have a rolling start when the safety car comes in the pit. A rolling start like in the indycars with 2 cars along eachother, but a standing start?! I've never even seen that before in autosport.

Cuky

I don't get why there is a SC than if they will need to stop on the grid for a restart. Wouldn't it be safer (and maybe even quicker) to stop them on the grid instantly in order they are on track and when track is cleared engineers go on track, restart their engines and they start like at the start of the race.

BanMeToo

How vile. I cannot believe it went through so easily. What a crock. I can't even find the words.

SectorOne

F1 is also set to adopt 'sparking' titanium skid planks for next season, which were trialled successfully by Nico Rosberg and Kimi Raikkonen during the recent Austrian Grand Prix.
This is an utter joke. What´s next? Michael Bay explosions?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

the user

Parc ferme will start from the beginning of FP3 from next year. What a stupid change. I don't understand why the teams think that such changes will be any good

GitanesBlondes

F1 is pretty much dead.

It bears no resemblance to the first 44 seasons of existence any longer.

The people making decisions are a bunch of stupid ---. Imagine playing football and rarely being allowed to practice, or to have to hold back from giving your maximum potential in a match? Hell insert any sport into that equation. You wouldn't see it. F1 drivers do so little driving these days that I don't even consider them to be the best drivers out there any longer.

2014 was a joke. 2015 and on will be an even bigger joke.

Awesome.

I can't wait till the whole sport collapses on itself.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

Cam

I cannot help but think of some of the current 'great' moments we will lose, with this new rule. As an example, seeing a faster driver come through on fresh tires to 'hunt down' a car. Lap after lap, you can see the gap diminish. 1 sec a lap quicker. 1.6 secs a lap quicker. Will there be enough laps left to catch and pass? Can the lead driver pull something from somewhere to find some speed and hold the chasing driver off?

Piece of debris on the track - safety car.

It's hard enough to find stuff to like in F1 anymore, but that tension was one of them.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Cam

GitanesBlondes wrote:F1 drivers do so little driving these days that I don't even consider them to be the best drivers out there any longer.
They're not. Anyone want to disagree and state that the current grid of drivers in F1 are the best drivers on the planet?

With F1 obviously moving to a 4 wheeled form of 'professional' WWE :
As in other professional wrestling promotions, WWE shows are not legitimate sporting contests, but purely entertainment-based, featuring storyline-driven, scripted and choreographed matches.....
Might as well finish it off for the fans and changed the name from F1 to FU.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

GitanesBlondes

Cam wrote:
GitanesBlondes wrote:F1 drivers do so little driving these days that I don't even consider them to be the best drivers out there any longer.
They're not. Anyone want to disagree and state that the current grid of drivers in F1 are the best drivers on the planet?

With F1 obviously moving to a 4 wheeled form of 'professional' WWE :
As in other professional wrestling promotions, WWE shows are not legitimate sporting contests, but purely entertainment-based, featuring storyline-driven, scripted and choreographed matches.....
Might as well finish it off for the fans and changed the name from F1 to FU.
There's plenty of people out there that still hold onto some desperate idea that F1 drivers along with F1 still remain as the pinnacle of both those respective things.

People are in love with the idea of F1 nowadays, while trying to ignore the reality of F1. It's a --- show through and through. This obsession with "the show" and having "spectacle" is what reduced the entire thing from a serious form of motorsport to poorly run version of the WWE that happens to involve cars.

Newey deciding to step back tells you everything you need to know about this farce. That guys like John Barnard and Gordon Murray who were two of the greatest F1 car designers of all-time want nothing to do with the "sport" says it all. Imagine that though too, there's a whole new breed of moron F1 fans out there who have no idea who John Barnard is.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet