How can racing in Formula 1 be improved?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
flyboy2160

Re: How can racing in Formula 1 be improved?

I second Moxie's appreciation for watching those sprint cars. I saw a WOO race from the infield - it was a staggering sight and experience. Watching the skill it takes to slide those cars with all that hp was thoroughly enjoyable. Some years ago a group of F1 drivers visited a WOO race and came away with nothing but praise for the driving skill. All those praising the current lawnmower sounding F1 cars need to experience something like that bunch of sprint cars: the deep sound feels like it shakes your guts and even your bones. I agree, bring all that sliding and sound back to F1.

Cam

It's interesting seeing people's opinion. Mostly, it seems to be 'aero performance' is a secondary consideration (I agree). So would it be fair to suggest that the majority of fans be happy to see all the aero scale right back? This would leave a very basic aero on the tub (no front/rear wings) and then mechanical grip, engine drive-ability combined driver skill, being the a more prominent feature?

Edit: would removing the front wings allow the cars to run nose to tail through corners?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Mamba

What is it with you guys and the aero??
Nobody seems to think that aero along with the engine is what makes a good car! Open development for the engine and increase the wind tunnel testing and so on. The sport is dying already, do not kill it completely by removing key parts as to what makes it interesting and what has kept it at the forefront of development!

MAMBA

Pieoter

Allow full ground effects and reduce the complexity of the front + rear wing.

IIRC this will help a lot of the "dirty air" problems that stops close racing.

Cam

Mamba wrote:What is it with you guys and the aero??
Nobody seems to think that aero along with the engine is what makes a good car!
I guess some people might suggest that aero has gone to far? When you cannot follow a car through a corner, you loose the ability to be right his tail - to try a legitimate (old school) pass, at the next corner.

Personally, I think aero is awesome - for a track car. Fans, diffusers, EDB, ducts, bang on, have em all and blitz every lap time. But when aero gets maxed, the FIA keep toning it back to stop the cars going too fast. So you can't max it and you can't overtake.

F1 went full aero. Never go full aero. You go home empty handed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WHBO_Qc-Q&feature=kp[/youtube]
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Mamba

Cam wrote: I guess some people might suggest that aero has gone to far? When you cannot follow a car through a corner, you loose the ability to be right his tail - to try a legitimate (old school) pass.
Now that is what we need! Less complex but they should still be able to play and improve the cars. It is only the more modern cars with these immensely complex wings that gives us this is the problem. Go to the 2009/2010 type of wings, still complex but not to the extent we have them now.

MAMBA

flyboy2160

I don't see F1 changing from it's current path - which many here decry - without a major shock to the system. A major decline in TV revenues or sponsor funding or fan following will be required. They're able to rationalize away the current small declines.

So, I'm hoping that Ferrari (temporarily, but don't tell them that) quits F1, announcing that F1 has lost its great heritage, that it now sees the WEC as the pinnacle of motorsport, is switching its racing priority to the WEC, and encourages its fans to do likewise. When F1 returns to its senses, Ferrari will return.

Let's see Monty put his money where his mouth is instead of just grabbing publicity headlines and making idle threats.

I see such a move by Ferrari also as a great boon to the WEC, hopefully spurring more races and manufacturer entries.

flmkane

I think F1 the source of bad racing in F1 lies within Bernie Ecclestone.

All the gimmicks that he's pushed for recently (DRS, cheesecake tyres, etc) seems to me that he's completely out of touch with what current and potential fans want/hope to see.

Let's face it, he's old and has difficulty understanding how to appeal to teenagers and 20 year olds, which is EXACTLY what you need to do to build a fanbase.

Furthermore, the guy seeks short term profit maximization. They long term damage which that can cause has started appearing.

By boosting ticket prices, selling races to the highest bidding circuit and attempting to go after the super wealthy elite who only care to show off money, he's alienated the real fan base- and directly resulted in it's decline.

Thus F1 is dying out. Because Bernie has ruined the racing with bad gimmicks, --- circuits, and destroyed the overall spectacle by jacking up the prices too much.

(sorry if this post is a bit ill written. In a hurry)

Mamba

Pardon my asking but what are the cheesecake tyres you are talking of? I have not heard of that before...

MAMBA

Waywardism

The flimsy Pirelli tyres we saw the last few seasons.

FoxHound

I understand the fact that louder noise = wasted energy.
But the FIA could implement a minimum sound policy for the engines.

Say 130dB.
JET set

Ciro Pabón

1. There is no way to improve Formula 1, stop whining

These are works of art, every year they are perfect and racing in them cannot be improved by aficionados, only enjoyed, people!

For example, how could we improve the Mona Lisa? By changing the colour of the background, modernizing the attire and changing the hairdo?

Leonardo laughs at you
Ciro

bhall II

Ciro Pabón wrote:[...]

Leonardo laughs at you
http://www.syndicatelofts.com/wp-conten ... 29x640.jpg

Cam

Ciro Pabón wrote:These are works of art, every year they are perfect and racing in them cannot be improved by aficionados, only enjoyed, people!
Ciro, perhaps we have another 'furry jesus'?
The original attempt to fix the 'broken' artwork, was a monumental f*&# up. Yet, it has since become famous as an 'artwork' in it's own right.

What is art?
― Socrates

Sombrero

What is art?

GP2, GP3, FR2.0, Endurance, Karting... Almost everything else F-1 yet !

http://www.art-grandprix.com/