Engine pecking order 2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Engine pecking order 2015

This is not meant to be a technical engineering thread, so I thought it was better suited to this here general chat forum.

Where do we see Renault, Mercedes, Ferrari and - most interestingly - Honda PUs stacking up?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

henra

Re: Engine pecking order 2015

raymondu999 wrote: Where do we see Renault, Mercedes, Ferrari and - most interestingly - Honda PUs stacking up?
My Crystal ball is under repair at the Moment.
But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Renault and Ferrari don't seem to have much of a clue what to do to catch up with the Mercs.
Honda could at least avoid some mistakes of Renault and Ferrari and should be warned that there is still much potential (loss) in the Turbo/ICE combination.
My Guess:
Merc
Honda
Ferrari
Renault (if they are still in F1)

SectorOne

I think the Honda engine might match the mighty Merc unit on power but i think they will have more reliability issues.
Ferrari i like to think i see some progress but i´m not so sure about Renault.

Crystal ball predictions,

Merc
Honda
-
Ferrari
-
-
Renault
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

FrukostScones

MERCEDES
FERRARI
RENAULT
HONDA
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Juzh

merc, ferrari/honda.......... renault.

Harsha

I think Merc will still lead the race in terms of engine but except Renault other 2 Ferrari and Honda will close the Merc to have a fight for Victories

sennaf1god.94

MERCEDES:
ICE=680bhp
MGU-H=180bhp (while customer teams have less than 170bhp available)
Total: 860bhp
FERRARI:
ICE=660bhp
MGU-H=190bhp
PU: 850bhp
RENAULT:
ICE=640bhp
MGU-H=160bhp
PU: 800bhp
HONDA:
ICE=670bhp
MGU-H=170bhp
PU: 840bhp
8)
I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's.

Ayrton Senna da Silva

Juzh

You realize mgu-h transfers power to mgu-k which is limited to 160bhp? The only advantage merc could have is to use those 160 bhp for more time over a lap, but not overall more peak power.

sennaf1god.94

Juzh wrote:You realize mgu-h transfers power to mgu-k which is limited to 160bhp? The only advantage merc could have is to use those 160 bhp for more time over a lap, but not overall more peak power.
Then cames the L-word:

Loophole!!!

:o
I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's.

Ayrton Senna da Silva

langwadt

sennaf1god.94 wrote:
Juzh wrote:You realize mgu-h transfers power to mgu-k which is limited to 160bhp? The only advantage merc could have is to use those 160 bhp for more time over a lap, but not overall more peak power.
Then cames the L-word:

Loophole!!!

what loop hole? FIA has sensors measuring energy in and out of the MGU-K so how are you going to go over the limit of 120KW with out getting caught?

sennaf1god.94

langwadt wrote:
sennaf1god.94 wrote:
Then cames the L-word:

Loophole!!!

what loop hole? FIA has sensors measuring energy in and out of the MGU-K so how are you going to go over the limit of 120KW with out getting caught?
Yup, there´s also a sensor that measures the fuelflow. And what?

I guarantee you that both sensors can be overridden. Then "failures" start appearing...

You got where the term FARCE comes from.

No limits-no farce (or chance for it)

Ayrton Senna da Silva

JimClarkFan

Impossible to know and pointless to speculate.

Only thing I am sure of is that the gap will close.

langwadt

sennaf1god.94 wrote:
langwadt wrote:
sennaf1god.94 wrote:
Then cames the L-word:

Loophole!!!

Yup, there´s also a sensor that measures the fuelflow. And what?

I guarantee you that both sensors can be overridden. Then "failures" start appearing...

You got where the term FARCE comes from.

No limits-no farce (or chance for it)
measuring electric power is much much simpler than measuring fuel flow

sennaf1god.94

langwadt wrote:measuring electric power is much much simpler than measuring fuel flow
Overriding electric sensors is a much much simpler action that cheating piezo-electric sensors...

:roll:

But that´s not the issue, the big one is that all this "limits" open a whole new world for loopholes and cheats. And F1 is Cheaters Club... an enormous advantage in terms of performance can be gained by overriding this systems.

No limits, clearer competition.

:arrow:

Ayrton Senna da Silva

Lycoming

By that logic, we shouldn't test sprinters for steroids.