2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Phil

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season (yes this includes ALO and VET too!

In my personal opinion, I think Button / Alonso would be the stronger pairing. Button may not shine when the car is fighting among the midfield, but when the car is right and fast (which it just might be), I think he could be quite a contender to Alonso, perhaps similar to how he managed to impress alongside Lewis through smart driving. If anything, he is a very consistent performer, which I think is what the team needs.

Magnussen has not impressed me honestly, but then again; it's always hard to judge two drivers when a car is not performing well. Which is why I think Perez got shafted a bit unfairly out of McLaren a bit quick last year as well, and perhaps why Magnussen may be this year, if he doesn't get to stay on.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

SectorOne

SectorOne wrote:Pretty sure Perez already has a two-three year contract,

edit:
Madrid, Dec 12 (EFE).- Mexican Formula One driver Sergio Perez will race next season for British-based team Sahara Force India after signing a multi-year contract.

http://noticias.alianzanews.com/309_his ... india.html
Scratch that, it seems his deal was for one year only,

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... 5-campaign
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

WaikeCU

Phil wrote:In my personal opinion, I think Button / Alonso would be the stronger pairing. Button may not shine when the car is fighting among the midfield, but when the car is right and fast (which it just might be), I think he could be quite a contender to Alonso, perhaps similar to how he managed to impress alongside Lewis through smart driving. If anything, he is a very consistent performer, which I think is what the team needs.

Magnussen has not impressed me honestly, but then again; it's always hard to judge two drivers when a car is not performing well. Which is why I think Perez got shafted a bit unfairly out of McLaren a bit quick last year as well, and perhaps why Magnussen may be this year, if he doesn't get to stay on.
Yes, on paper a Button/Alonso pairing seems stronger, but you have 2 entirely different drivers. Alonso is more aggressive and wants a more direct car, whereas Button is the smooth British racer. That's why imo the Alonso-Hamilton pairing is far more stronger than a Alonso-Button pairing. Alonso and Hamilton have a similar aggressive style.

Harsha

SectorOne wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Pretty sure Perez already has a two-three year contract,

edit:
Madrid, Dec 12 (EFE).- Mexican Formula One driver Sergio Perez will race next season for British-based team Sahara Force India after signing a multi-year contract.

http://noticias.alianzanews.com/309_his ... india.html
Scratch that, it seems his deal was for one year only,

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... 5-campaign
Perhaps the extension or option time of Multi year deal than entire new contract ??

Jonnycraig

Perez:
There is that possibility (of going to Lotus), its a reality, but my priority and focus is to renew Force India, I want to build, I want to have a second year with better results. "

http://www.excelsior.com.mx/adrenalina/ ... /21/988176

Phil

WaikeCU wrote:Yes, on paper a Button/Alonso pairing seems stronger, but you have 2 entirely different drivers. Alonso is more aggressive and wants a more direct car, whereas Button is the smooth British racer. That's why imo the Alonso-Hamilton pairing is far more stronger than a Alonso-Button pairing. Alonso and Hamilton have a similar aggressive style.
You are right. Their driving styles aren't that similar perhaps. I was more operating on the assumption that if the car proves reasonably competitive that Button might overal perform better. I also think he gets the best out of himself when he is up against a fast team-mate; at least, I think he performed brilliantly against Hamilton and I do think that he would surprise a few up against Alonso. I also think that would be less of a destructive pairing. Both Button and Alonso aren't the youngest anymore though, so assuming Alonso does join McLaren, perhaps it would be wise indeed to go with a younger driver that could develop into a worthy contender.

Somehow, I wonder if the driver quality, potential and prospect will be the deciding factor for their 2nd seat (again; assuming Alonso ends up there). It to me seems a bit that Ron isn't all impressed by Jenson, irregardless how well he seems to be driving.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ollandos

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

fromo pitlanetalks....

La Gazzetta reporting that McLaren will announce Fernando Alonso at the U.S. Grand Prix next weekend.

=D>

Manoah2u

WaikeCU wrote:
Yes, on paper a Button/Alonso pairing seems stronger, but you have 2 entirely different drivers. Alonso is more aggressive and wants a more direct car, whereas Button is the smooth British racer. That's why imo the Alonso-Hamilton pairing is far more stronger than a Alonso-Button pairing. Alonso and Hamilton have a similar aggressive style.
except history has proven the pairing Button-Hamilton worked perfectly, and they both were fighting at the front. Button even came second in the WDC in 2011. I'd say having 2 different drivers actually has it's benefits; making the need to have an allround strong car even more important.

Apart from that, Button is a level-headed guy, whom doesn't go diva out of the smallest fuss. Lewis 'famously' clashed with Alonso (or vise versa whatever) and so did with Rosberg. You won't see that happening with Button, so i'd say that makes the pairing much stronger.

A guy that doesn't feel offended and whine like 2 girls about their nails. Which actually cools the other one down, too. Button isn't a dirty player. I'd say he's quite the adversary. Calm, cool and calculated. Works way better than 2 diva cats that start a b*tchfight over the tiniest point of stress.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

skoop

AMuS reports rumors that alonso hasn't officially retired from ferrari. that's why they haven't announced vettel yet.

CjC
CjC

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

ollandos wrote:fromo pitlanetalks....

La Gazzetta reporting that McLaren will announce Fernando Alonso at the U.S. Grand Prix next weekend.

=D>
Alonso said at the last race what it 'would be obvious' the decision he has made.
I can't see how mclaren would be that obvious decision unless he has a crystal ball and can see mclaren/honda package up against the merc and red bull.

I'm very curious to see what his 'obvious' decision is.
Last edited by CjC on 22 Oct 2014, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Just a fan's point of view

Alexgtt

Has anyone apart from Horner actually said Vettel is going to Ferrari? Has anyone apart from Luca di Montezemolo said Alonso is leaving Ferrari?

Could it be possible Vettel is McLaren bound with Alonso sticking?

zeph

skoop wrote:AMuS reports rumors that alonso hasn't officially retired from ferrari. that's why they haven't announced vettel yet.
Lol, that's what I said two weeks ago:
zeph wrote:What if after things went south between Mattiacci and Alonso, Alonso said he'll just sit out his contract until 2016? :lol:

Then Mattiacci has a real problem, he can't fire Alonso or Raikkonen and has a pre-contract with Vettel! :lol:

marcush.

alonso said he´d do what is best for Ferrari .I think that´s his way of accepting their decision ....maybe he is waiting for Marccione to commmit to something more than a 3 year plan .More in the sense of -just two years ?

Racer X

Jonnycraig wrote:Perez:
There is that possibility (of going to Lotus), its a reality, but my priority and focus is to renew Force India, I want to build, I want to have a second year with better results. "

http://www.excelsior.com.mx/adrenalina/ ... /21/988176

Lotus should be strong next year. with the Merc Engine lets pretend they do take Perez who do they oust?
Also it appears the offer is from Lotus to Perez. I think Perez should move teams i think Lotus can push harder then Force India on the same Engine..

If i could chose i kick out Maldonado and take Perez...

But both those drivers have money but keep in mind Grosjean isnt there for free either he aslo brings in sponsorship and keep in mind the Cost of having Pastor is also very high. He might bring in millions but he crashes and costs the team money too. You might en up with more money at the end of the year with a driver who you hire then Pastor that brings in money but then you spend so much of it building cars he will crash..... So Maldonado might bring in more money then Romain but in the end he costs too much as well and Perex + Romain would be as good a driver Pairing as Hulk and Perez i think Perez at this point is a solid enough driver and brings in money so hes not bad in any team.
One more year at Force India if they can build a solid enough car and one more year working with Hulk could be good for both Hulk and Perez they can push next years car to its limits both of them helping develop next years car. Dam both sound good to me. He will do good in Lotus or Force India..
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

pob

^I think Maldonado is already confirmed for 2015 so it would be Grosjean making way for Perez unless it's 3-car teams. (edit: he was confirmed after Quali in Germany in July)