2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season (yes this includes ALO and VET too!

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/536188548941352961 Interesting, but then again, not really.

In the sky interview with Ron Dennis, there was some intersting remarks. It's been said that there definately has 'not made a decision yet' at Mclaren, and quite frankly, I believed Ron when he said that.

There have been interesting questions aimed at Ron, and Ron said they need to expand their vision to not 3 but 4 drivers. Crofty replied on a question whether that might include Lewis Hamilton, that it was in regards to Stoffel Vandoorne.
Interestingly, Vandoorne also was directly mentioned by Sky to RonDennis during the interview, but Ron seemed to slightly wave that away just aswell.

Now some guy with a french accent in the drivers press conference caught alonso off guard with a very neat question whether Fred would like to have Jenson at his side next year - upon which there was a laugh and a lot of silence, too.

The timing and way the question was asked had a do in this but the silence took quite a awkwardly long pauze, and there were some taps on the shoulders between Alonso and Jenson.

Meanwhile, the interview between Jenson and Sky sports imho was - as much as i don't like that - a tell tale signal that Jenson will not be @ Mclaren next year.

Then again, this all revolves around the - allthough highly probable - idea that Alonso indeed will race in F1 in 2015 for Mclaren. This however, is not a given guarantee, despite it seems much more possible for Alonso to be there next year than Jenson still to race @ Macca.

Question that makes me wonder though, is - who will be the Mclaren test driver next year?

Gary Paffett is out, so somebody will have to replace him.Then again, Stoffel is a test/reserve driver. Vandoorne just as much could maintain his position as a Mclaren test driver and not as a racing driver at all.

Oliver Turvey has aimed his arrows more at the WEC, and with vandoorne 'just' having 1051 test km's over 207 test laps in 2 test days - i have a genuine doubt about him actually being remotely concidered as a racing driver.

Meanwhile, i'm finding the total silence around K-Mag really confusing, too. Understandably Jenson is having much more attention, but are there any signs Kevin is looking for an option outside of F1 should he be sacked - regardless of whether Alonso comes, or Button stays.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

scratch that, i've missed this:

team boss Eric Boullier played down the Vandoorne rumours,
suggesting the 22-year-old will spend another year in GP2 to try to win the title.

on McLaren fielding an Alonso-Magnussen lineup in 2015:

"I have a strong desire for Denmark to wake up," Dennis told Danish television TV3, "and realise that they have an unique opportunity to support someone who could easily become a sporting legend of the country.

"I hope that one of the multinationals realises that life is not always about money but also national pride.

"I've done my part," added Dennis, "and I think it's time that Denmark does the same."
In other words, if Magnussen wants to have a seat for 2015, he'll have to bring sponsors/backers [ and not a tiny one ].
If no Denmark brand would be interested to 'sponsor' Mclaren, can we then assume there will be no place for K-Mag?
And then, for which construction will MCL go then?
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Mesteño

It seems that old King Juan Carlos of Spain just confirmed on TV that Alonso is going to McLaren. Too Silly for my body all this matter XDD

Antonio Lobato has just asked Alonso about this and he was laughing. You can't deny a King :D =D> :D

https://vine.co/v/O1mgPQuwYW6

mika vs michael

Ron Dennis knows that if Hamilton has a mechanical failure today, things will escalate. I am sure he prefers Lewis back than Alonso. Alonso is probably the best but brings too much politics and he is much older...So if he gets Hamilton to return it will be pivotal for McLaren.
Hamilton wants to win the race to stamp his authority in Mercedes. 31 pts difference if he wins, 11 wins to 5...is a clear statement...
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

JimClarkFan

mika vs michael wrote:Ron Dennis knows that if Hamilton has a mechanical failure today, things will escalate. I am sure he prefers Lewis back than Alonso. Alonso is probably the best but brings too much politics and he is much older...So if he gets Hamilton to return it will be pivotal for McLaren.
Hamilton wants to win the race to stamp his authority in Mercedes. 31 pts difference if he wins, 11 wins to 5...is a clear statement...
No chance of that happening I think lol

zeph

ringo wrote:Make sense, since Matiaci is Montezelomo's choice and Monty is now out. Might as well remove any remnants of Luca's.
I'm pretty sure Mattiacci is Marchionne's man, not Montezemolo's.

Miguel

Mesteño wrote:It seems that old King Juan Carlos of Spain just confirmed on TV that Alonso is going to McLaren. Too Silly for my body all this matter XDD

Antonio Lobato has just asked Alonso about this and he was laughing. You can't deny a King :D =D> :D

https://vine.co/v/O1mgPQuwYW6
Except, you know, he isn't the king. Not anymore.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Avocado

mika vs michael wrote:and he is much older...
Lewis is 30 and Fernando is 33. Yeah, MUCH OLDER! :lol:

ollandos

if mclaren think WCC for the next year button is the best No2 driver on the grid for many years ......

and mclaren looking for No2 driver.....

with honda supplier other team in 2016 its easy to find seat from youngs project drivers....

if they think for 2015 only some wins and with luck driver on fight for WDC button is unneccesary

Redragon

How Button was crying on BBC interview after race shows that he is not in F1 next year.
And Ted's Notebook was mention that Brawn to Ferrari a really strong rumour taking shape.
Alo of how he reacted on Thursday interview it is more likely he is finishing in Mclaren, that or Ham/Mercedes renovation goes horribly wrong

Manoah2u

I saw Button performing a donut as the ultimate proof he's not in F1 in 2015, unfortunately.

Alain Frost

Avocado wrote:
mika vs michael wrote:and he is much older...
Lewis is 30 and Fernando is 33. Yeah, MUCH OLDER! :lol:
It is if kept in the context of the sport. In a career that the retirement age seems to be shrinking those three or four years are three or for more chances to win the WDC that the older guy doesn't have.

But you are right, it is not much in the real world.

BTW Lewis is still 29.

Mesteño

I don't think there's room to breaking the deal, not this far on the season.

PS: Just saw TV Fernando sayin to a guy with McLaren cap 'nice cap'.

ollandos

for the next 2 years mclaren duo is alonso button......
and wants from kevin to buy seat for 2015 and help with engine supplie for 2016 .....

alonso button for the next 2
hamilton-alonso for other 2 ....

that the target

aterren

lebesset wrote:McLarens shop say jenson is out ...they are selling off his team shirts .....but not Kmag's
Or no one want's a Kmag shirt... Or they bought too many shirts after the season opener.

Any way you slice it, I don't see how this tells us much.