2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
emaren

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season (yes this includes ALO and VET too!

AliMadsen wrote:It seems that the decision on 2015 drivers is to be taken by the board of McLaren.
Ron: OK, we can offer Hamilton £150M to come back for a couple of years, plus permit him to have as many tattoo's and gold chains as he wants and almost certainly make the British public happy and annoy Mercedes and Ferrari and make Honda super happy, except maybe regarding his appearance, or we can pay Alonso, Jenson and the other guy a combined £60M and carry on as normal.

Board: ?????

Ron: OK, I'll get the cheque book out, Hamilton and Magnusson then it is.....

SectorOne

Curious to know how many years Hamilton will sign for..
I would probably aim for a 2 year deal on top of the already in place one.

So you do 15, 16 and 17 then see what the performance of the Merc is and how other teams are looking, particularly Ferrari which i think will be his next team.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Shakeman

emaren wrote:
AliMadsen wrote:It seems that the decision on 2015 drivers is to be taken by the board of McLaren.
Ron: OK, we can offer Hamilton £150M to come back for a couple of years, plus permit him to have as many tattoo's and gold chains as he wants and almost certainly make the British public happy and annoy Mercedes and Ferrari and make Honda super happy, except maybe regarding his appearance, or we can pay Alonso, Jenson and the other guy a combined £60M and carry on as normal.

Board: ?????

Ron: OK, I'll get the cheque book out, Hamilton and Magnusson then it is.....
If I were Lewis no amount of money would entice me back to drive another batch of also rans. Merc is going to have to slip a long way to become uncompetitive. They could have a more dominant run than RedBull did and while he has got stiffer competition than Vettel ever had he could be a multi WDC at the end of a very long Merc contract.

Then he'll head to Williams to finish his career to complete the Senna thing.

Jonnycraig

SectorOne wrote: So you do 15, 16 and 17 then see what the performance of the Merc is and how other teams are looking, particularly Ferrari which i think will be his next team.
The only way he will go to Ferrari is if Vettel decides to retire young, albeit that's not too wild a possibility as it's something he has suggested several times.

SectorOne

Jonnycraig wrote:The only way he will go to Ferrari is if Vettel decides to retire young, albeit that's not too wild a possibility as it's something he has suggested several times.
So you think either Ferrari or Vettel himself would block such a move?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Jonnycraig

SectorOne wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:The only way he will go to Ferrari is if Vettel decides to retire young, albeit that's not too wild a possibility as it's something he has suggested several times.
So you think either Ferrari or Vettel himself would block such a move?
Well as Ferrari have operated a 1 driver policy during the modern F1 era, the prospect of Hamilton going there as #2 to Vettel is a tad unlikely don't you think..

CBeck113

Jonnycraig wrote:
SectorOne wrote: Well as Ferrari have operated a 1 driver policy during the modern F1 era, the prospect of Hamilton going there as #2 to Vettel is a tad unlikely don't you think..
Like this year, with Kimi & Alonso? :D
I'm sure that they will not be 100% cured of their old bad habbits, but don't expect Ferrari to keep all their traditions in tact for next season and those following. There is adefinitive reason for them getting two drivers with the same car preferences - so both of them can be fast. I can very well see Lewis with Vettel at Ferrari in 2017, after Kimi "retires" like Schumi, so we get at least one year of Lewis vs. Seb. We'll then also see if Seb has had enough of Ferrari by then...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Writinglife

Stupid question probably, but I was thinking about Vettel to Ferrari. Are Schumacher and Hamilton the only drivers in the last 20 years that won their titles with different teams. Vettel and Alonso won theirs with a single team. How far back do we have ot go to find a driver that won multiple titles with different teams.

Richard

Wiki has the answer .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fo ... #By_season

Hamilton
Schumacher
Prost
Piquet
Fittipaldi
Lauda
Hill
Stewart
Brabham
Fangio
Last edited by Richard on 26 Nov 2014, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: oops - how did Alonso creep in there? Corrected.

mikeerfol

Alonso? :P

Writinglife

So Hamilton (McLaren and Mercedes), Schumacher (Benneton & Ferrari), Prost (Williams and McLaren) then back into the 70's with Lauda (Ferrari & McLaren). Rarified air (sorry for derailing the thread though.)

lebesset

mikeerfol wrote:Alonso? :P
I must have been asleep that season
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

WaikeCU

lebesset wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:Alonso? :P
I must have been asleep that season
Alonso hasn't won it with 2 teams. Both titles came with Renault.

Richard

oops - how did Alonso creep in there? Corrected.

Writinglife

Richard wrote:oops - how did Alonso creep in there? Corrected.
Started the drinking early today? or still celebrating the end of the season?