2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season

Nathanael F1 wrote:
efuloni wrote:I'm gonna repeat: I think that if Bottas moves to Ferrari next year, we might see a pretty cool williams with Mas/Rai or Mas/But. Either way would be a very nice pair, mainly if its Mas/But. Two old guys for one last season.

Nasr, if keeps going well, could move back to Williams to replace his fellow brazilian in 2017.
I don't get the feeling that Raikkonen will go on after he loses his Ferrari seat. For me, I'd like Bottas to move to Ferrari in 2016/17 and Hulk to Williams.
Frustrating to think that Hulk was at Williams once... he took two steps forward and four steps back. Anyway I am liking Hulk at Ferrari so don't spoil it! :mrgreen:
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Nathanael F1 wrote:
efuloni wrote:I'm gonna repeat: I think that if Bottas moves to Ferrari next year, we might see a pretty cool williams with Mas/Rai or Mas/But. Either way would be a very nice pair, mainly if its Mas/But. Two old guys for one last season.

Nasr, if keeps going well, could move back to Williams to replace his fellow brazilian in 2017.
I don't get the feeling that Raikkonen will go on after he loses his Ferrari seat. For me, I'd like Bottas to move to Ferrari in 2016/17 and Hulk to Williams.
Frustrating to think that Hulk was at Williams once... he took two steps forward and four steps back. Anyway I am liking Hulk at Ferrari so don't spoil it! :mrgreen:
After some thought, I'd also prefer Hulk at Ferrari rather than Bottas. Bottas didn't really impress me until last year, and arguably because the Williams was so competitive. In contrast, the fact that Hulk was able to qualify on pole (which Bottas has yet to achieve), set the fastest lap, and nearly win a race in a good midfield car is hugely impressive, I think. I just hope he gets the attention of a big team soon. [-o<
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hรผlkenberg

efuloni
efuloni

PlatinumZealot wrote: Frustrating to think that Hulk was at Williams once... he took two steps forward and four steps back. Anyway I am liking Hulk at Ferrari so don't spoil it! :mrgreen:
Would it really be a step back? It would probably be his best car ever. lol

But I understand. Two years ago we all had a lot of expectations around him. I think that both HUL and Ferrari look back with sadness to the end of 2013 thinking about what could have been if he had been picked instead of RAI.

Phil

Isn't one of Hulks disadvantages that he is relative tall (and heavy) compared to other drivers? He might be quick, but teams perhaps look at him knowing that when they put him into a car, he might be losing a bit of time simply because of the deficit he has in regards to other (smaller) drivers that are lighter...

For a midfield team, who also has to consider costs, this might simply not be the dominant factor so are happy to run him as long as he performs well and favourably to his team-mate(s).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. โ€” bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

Phil wrote:Isn't one of Hulks disadvantages that he is relative tall (and heavy) compared to other drivers? He might be quick, but teams perhaps look at him knowing that when they put him into a car, he might be losing a bit of time simply because of the deficit he has in regards to other (smaller) drivers that are lighter...

For a midfield team, who also has to consider costs, this might simply not be the dominant factor so are happy to run him as long as he performs well and favourably to his team-mate(s).
Yes, he is one of the tallest and heaviest F1 drivers right now. But Button is about the same height and weight, too, though. So if what you're saying is correct, why has Button gotten a seat at McLaren for so many years? Because he won the WDC?
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hรผlkenberg

PlatinumZealot

Webber was even heavier when the cars were lighter... I think its not a deal breaker.

iotar__

PlatinumZealot wrote:Webber was even heavier when the cars were lighter... I think its not a deal breaker.
They raised minimum weight in 2015 and I don't think it was the reason for teams not hiring Hulkenberg.

This weight argument only appears when it's needed, recently mostly with Hulkenberg. Webber -Vettel is a good one, Vettel everyone else and of course Kubica - Heidfeld like in 2009 when only one car had KERS.

Emmcee

iotar__ wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Webber was even heavier when the cars were lighter... I think its not a deal breaker.
They raised minimum weight in 2015 and I don't think it was the reason for teams not hiring Hulkenberg.

This weight argument only appears when it's needed, recently mostly with Hulkenberg. Webber -Vettel is a good one, Vettel everyone else and of course Kubica - Heidfeld like in 2009 when only one car had KERS.
This is a few years old but gives you some idea
Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.

PlatinumZealot

Some of those weights are lies! LOL

I am the same height as Vettel and I am a slim guy.. Vettel visually has more body than me I just can't see him being 59kg!!

George-Jung
George-Jung

I find that hard to believe as well.. just look at Massa.. he is smaller and about the same weight?
But than again, just look at Charles Pic.. :wtf:

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Don't underestimate personal physical 'unique qualities'. 2 people can be the same height and the same weight but have a completely different build. Similarly, people can have a similar build but different weight.

I agree that the estimates are probably a bit off, and I do agree i have trouble believing vettel is lighter than 'tiny' massa.

I myself am 1.86 m and i've weighed 67 kgs at a certain point, and yet i was far from skin over bones. After some workout i've gained 13 kg's of nearly only muscle gain and now weigh about 80k. obviously, this is spread throughout the body offcourse.

one thing however i would imagine F1 drivers to avoid having lots of muscle is leg muscle. Legs make up a huge portion of the body and thus training leg muscles delivers in a huge weight gain. Since F1 drivers do need leg muscles, but in reality have a far greater need for neck and back muscles, i would think they have a training where they offcourse do train leg muscles, but they probably could be concidered 'weak' when you compare it to the severity on how neck muscles are trained.

if you look at JB, he'll do a triathlon with 'hardly a sweat' and is 1.84 with 70kgs estimate.

I'm not sure whether these figures are correct. However, truth be told, kimi is similar in height but a whopping 12 kg's heavier according to the figures. If true, that grants Vettel a serious advantage regarding weight.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

George-Jung
George-Jung

@Manoah, drivers do have to press the brake pedals with,if I am correct, approx 180kg.. so for sure they do not have 'weak' legs.. But I agree with the rest you are saying.

And regarding Massa, perhaps he is a bit chubby.. :lol:

Hail22

George-Jung wrote:

What you talkin' bout Willis? :lol:
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

George-Jung wrote:@Manoah, drivers do have to press the brake pedals with,if I am correct, approx 180kg.. so for sure they do not have 'weak' legs.. But I agree with the rest you are saying.

obviously they do, but you'd be surprised how 'little' effort pressing brake pedals will cost (think about G-forces helping out).
they get 5 G under braking, so if we're dealing with 180/5 then we're at 36 kgs lateral kg's of pressure that drivers have to generate with 1 leg under braking. that's not hard at all.

granted, it's not like they have stick legs and that would suffice, but it's hardly like they need to have 'man of the world' legs.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

zoro_f1

Image โ€œThe force can have a strong influence on the weak-mindedโ€: [Obi Wan Kenobi]