2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mcalex
mcalex

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season

It says that R.G is in contact with McLaren via Eric B. It seems that they want to pursue J.B to sign an 1 year deal for much less money

iotar__

Contact means nothing but about RG to McL:
The very fact they dared to put Ham and especially Vettel on their rumoured wish-list would mean that I wouldn't bother with McLaren if I were him ;-). It's easy to say of course but it's also practical: 1. if that's their level of approach and expertise it may transfer to incompetence in other areas (cough, Ferrari, cough...). 2. It might be also Honda and marketing, with unlimited budget they ended up with Barrichello/Button and their neighbours with Ralf(Glock)/Trulli. 3. McLaren's driver management and choices were nothing but awful recently, Kova, Perez's firing, Button's contract and this season, Magnussen too early and of course Ham over Alonso, not a good place. 4. Both McL's chassis and engine are unknown and although you can't expect much from Lotus either with Merc engine it might be half-decent for another year=it doesn't matter. BTW: 2+2=4.

gary123

mcalex wrote:It says that R.G is in contact with McLaren via Eric B. It seems that they want to pursue J.B to sign an 1 year deal for much less money
Boullier denied the fact that mclaren was contacting grosjean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH_dI-J ... OkF0bv6VKg

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Sauber situation is making a good bit of reading into for 2015. We have Sutil, Guiteriez, Van Der Garde, Sirokin & Di Silvestro in the loop for the seats.

Personally, id ditch SUT/GUT as they are boring and don't warrant another chance. VDG/DSV may be a good and interesting pairing, VDG bringing his €25m cheque and DSV bringing a sizeable cheque in a similar size to VDG. With SIR bringing €10m-€15m for 2 days pre season, 3 days during the season & 10 FP1s that would bring €65m in budget with the €55m they have at the moment for their P10 in the Constructors Table, they will get a budget of about €110m. However... GUT will get a third season, and depending on how Saubers finances fair in the next 6 months, and its looking bad for them as they are indebted to the sum of €170m, they might be sold to the Slim family and renamed Telmex Sauber-Ferrari in 2015. Sauber has a lot of interesting factors for a team at the back end of the grid. SUT i think will be gone for Singapore, VDG to replace as Sutil isn't doing it, heck Heidfeild may be the better bet there.

Caterham i think will be a Ericson and Lotterer/1 A-N-Other driver, apart from Japan when KOB will take back his seat. Its gonna be a revolving door of 3 drivers in that seat, id give Sainz Jr a chance as a consolation prize.

iotar__

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115604 "It is understood that McLaren has been told it will get an answer from Vettel and Alonso very soon, and it wants to sort out its 2015 driver plans before the final flyaway races that begin with the Singapore Grand Prix next month."

No Hamilton and do they really consider McLaren? I hope it happens, I mean Vettel although I doubt he would leave safe RB for any risks, maybe for money? Magnussen-Vettel, one from Dennis, one from Honda, perfect. I think Alonso is staying but if RB seat was available and offered would it make sense to take it? I don't think so unless Ferrari engine is beyond recovery and rules remain the same.

ScottB
ScottB

iotar__ wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115604 "It is understood that McLaren has been told it will get an answer from Vettel and Alonso very soon, and it wants to sort out its 2015 driver plans before the final flyaway races that begin with the Singapore Grand Prix next month."

No Hamilton and do they really consider McLaren? I hope it happens, I mean Vettel although I doubt he would leave safe RB for any risks, maybe for money? Magnussen-Vettel, one from Dennis, one from Honda, perfect. I think Alonso is staying but if RB seat was available and offered would it make sense to take it? I don't think so unless Ferrari engine is beyond recovery and rules remain the same.
Don't see why RBR would go outwith their programme, and pay Alonso a fortune when they've got Ricciardo already who is more than capable of being team leader, and a whole heap of youngsters to promote.

Turning down the chance to go for Kimi worked out pretty well, I think they'd do the same again.

WaikeCU

iotar__ wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115604 "It is understood that McLaren has been told it will get an answer from Vettel and Alonso very soon, and it wants to sort out its 2015 driver plans before the final flyaway races that begin with the Singapore Grand Prix next month."

http://www.gpupdate.net/nl/f1-nieuws/31 ... ij-het-zo/

The link reports that 2014 could be JB's last season and if so then so be it he thinks. His opinion is that he still has lots to offer in F1, so he would feel it like an abrupt end of his F1 career. Let's say if this happening, I could see him becoming a Mclaren test driver though. I'm sure he offers good feedback, but he has good relationships with Japan, so he could also offer feedback to Honda. Think about it, this is pretty realistic tbh.

It would be mad to see Vettel-Alonso in a Mclaren though. This would leave a spot at RB. The logical choice would be to put JEV in that car, but I'm waiting to see what will develop at Mercedes. I find it hard to think that the line up at Mercedes will remain the same for next season when the team spirit is on a low. If Nico wins the WDC, I would believe Hamilton will leave the team, because there are spots open at other teams. If this happens (Vettel goes to Mclaren), then I think Lewis will go to Red Bull and JEV will unluckily lose out. If it was the other way around I think Nico might go to Ferrari.

So I think key moment is Vettel's decision and I think it's a pretty hard one. Mercedes have build a great foundation in this new era of F1, so they will remain strong for a couple of season I think. I believe he's looking at Mercedes, hoping a seat will come available. Mclaren could be gamble, since it's unclear what the outcome would be with the Honda PU. I think Alonso could be set for Mclaren, because I think he wants to end his career on a high note and he probably thinks worse than Ferrari is impossible if I go to Mclaren. Ferrari degrades from the time he arrived till present. They've became worse and worse in building a championship winning car. The empty spot at Ferrari would be filled by either Nico Rosberg or Nico Hulkenberg, which will lead to Magnussen going to FI potentially.

SilverArrow10

The only reason they should get rid of Button is if they can get Alonso. If they cant get Alonso Button is as good as they can get.

Also imagine If Vettel leaves Red bull and Vergne gets the second seat.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

monsi
monsi

Ferrari will sort their problems (no shortage of money etc.). McLaren may sort their problems given the inherent uncertainties of a new engine supplier. I can't see any reason for Alonso to move unless the situation he is moving to is a dead cert. So 1 year contract to JB by McLaren, with the aim of proving over next season that they will have a championship winning car the one after to let them convince Alonso to move sounds reasonable. If I were Alonso I would be thinking about a good chance of fighting for the championship next year in an improved Ferrari, followed by a potential move to McLaren the year after to do the same in an improved McLaren Honda if McLaren raise their game.
Last edited by monsi on 28 Aug 2014, 13:43, edited 4 times in total.

CHT
CHT

SilverArrow10 wrote:The only reason they should get rid of Button is if they can get Alonso. If they cant get Alonso Button is as good as they can get.

Also imagine If Vettel leaves Red bull and Vergne gets the second seat.
I expect Button to leave the team regardless of who join Mclaren. Mclaren first choice will be Hamilton, then Alonso. If they can get anyone of them, I expect Mclaren to pair them with a young driver.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

SilverArrow10 wrote: Also imagine If Vettel leaves Red bull and Vergne gets the second seat.
That won't happen, they've already publicly wished Vergne the best for the future. More realistic is them bumping Kvyat up and Sainz into the TR.

adrianjordan

monsi wrote:Ferrari will sort their problems (no shortage of money etc.). McLaren may sort their problems given the inherent uncertainties of a new engine supplier.
Personally I would put them both on about equal probabilities of sorting out their problems. If anything, the fact of Peter P coming in to McLaren should boost their aero quite substantially.

To my mind, Ferrari are a few months behind McLaren. By that I mean that both teams have realised that changes are needed and both are doing so, but McLaren started earlier in the year... I fully expect to see both teams back fighting at the front within a few years.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

BMW_F1
BMW_F1

Alonso should wait until 2016 before making a move to Mclaren.

stefan_
stefan_

gary123 wrote:
mcalex wrote:It says that R.G is in contact with McLaren via Eric B. It seems that they want to pursue J.B to sign an 1 year deal for much less money
Boullier denied the fact that mclaren was contacting grosjean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH_dI-J ... OkF0bv6VKg
Just saying - Boullier also was completely denying the fact that he was going to leave Lotus last year. Shortly after that he actually left Lotus.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Kiril Varbanov

James Allen has done analysis on the current driver market - http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/08/s ... -run-deep/