2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
George-Jung

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season

Kiril Varbanov wrote:James Allen has done analysis on the current driver market - http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/08/s ... -run-deep/
And what is your opinion about it, instead of just dumping a link..? 8)

dren

Sounds like Mclaren are going after Newey and Vettel. 2nd choice drivers are Grossjean and Bottas. Eccelstone is helping to broker the Vettel/Newey to Mclaren deal.
Honda!

gray41

Bottas apparently set to sign new deal at Williams, so i doubt he'll be on McLarens list of drivers.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

adrianjordan

Where would that leave Peter P though?? Hasn't he come into McLaren as basically the equivalent of Newey at RBR?

I wonder whether the opportunity to be involved in the Road Car side of things might appeal to AN?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

ScottB

Why would Newey, who basically said he was getting fed up of F1 and its restrictions, leave Red Bull, where he is getting to step back and pursue other projects (with the benefit of Red Bull backing, wouldn't be surprised to see them sponsor his long dreamed of Americas Cup boat for example) and go to Mclaren? Even with the attraction of designing a road car, it just seems strange.

Mclaren getting Vettel or Alonso seems more plausible though.

JimClarkFan

Adrian Newey will never go back to Mclaren, I get the impression that Ron Dennis was the reason that he left in the first place.

Now Ferrari - I think everyone is tempted by Ferrari? I could see him going there, simply because the pull from Ferrari is strong.

alexx_88

Newey already got an offer from Ferrari and rejected. Everyone wants him for F1, he doesn't want to do F1 anymore and with HUGE Red Bull backing, he can basically go ahead and build anything that flows through his mind, which is probably a supreme challenge for a mind like his. Neither Mclaren, nor Ferrari can offer such a freedom with their road car business.

In regards to drivers, I think everything is deadlocked at the top level. The only way to unlock this would be by Hamilton having a meltdown at Mercedes and leaving at the end of the year. On the slim chances of this happening, Alonso will probably get the Mercedes seat, Hamilton the RB seat and Vettel the Mclaren one. However, I think that 2016 will be the first year we'll see movement. Here's why: none of the top guys are motivated by money, but by performance. Besides Mercedes (which can only be unlocked by Hamilton), neither RedBull, Ferrari or Mclaren can offer any guarantees for a competitive car next year. As such, only Mclaren can be expected to change their line-up for 2015 by replacing Button with Grosjean, but even that is not very likely to happen. Then, for 2016, all the big teams will be open to change and it's very possible that we'll see some interesting moves. My bet: Vettel definitely out of RedBull and Alonso definitely out of Ferrari.

Jonnycraig

dren wrote:Sounds like Mclaren are going after Newey and Vettel. 2nd choice drivers are Grossjean and Bottas. Eccelstone is helping to broker the Vettel/Newey to Mclaren deal.
ScottB wrote:Why would Newey, who basically said he was getting fed up of F1 and its restrictions, leave Red Bull, where he is getting to step back and pursue other projects (with the benefit of Red Bull backing, wouldn't be surprised to see them sponsor his long dreamed of Americas Cup boat for example) and go to Mclaren? Even with the attraction of designing a road car, it just seems strange.

Theoretically, McLaren could offer Newey the chance to be involved in the design and build of some form of hypercar, but it's incredibly unlikely he would get free reign there.

For what it's worth, Ted Kravitz said on his notebook that RB will be announcing Newey's next project after Xmas, with a Red Bull supercar and/or Red Bull Technologies being involved in the GB America's Cup entry both rumoured.

ScottB

Jonnycraig wrote:
dren wrote:Sounds like Mclaren are going after Newey and Vettel. 2nd choice drivers are Grossjean and Bottas. Eccelstone is helping to broker the Vettel/Newey to Mclaren deal.
ScottB wrote:Why would Newey, who basically said he was getting fed up of F1 and its restrictions, leave Red Bull, where he is getting to step back and pursue other projects (with the benefit of Red Bull backing, wouldn't be surprised to see them sponsor his long dreamed of Americas Cup boat for example) and go to Mclaren? Even with the attraction of designing a road car, it just seems strange.

Theoretically, McLaren could offer Newey the chance to be involved in the design and build of some form of hypercar, but it's incredibly unlikely he would get free reign there.

For what it's worth, Ted Kravitz said on his notebook that RB will be announcing Newey's next project after Xmas, with a Red Bull supercar and/or Red Bull Technologies being involved in the GB America's Cup entry both rumoured.
As you suggest there, I think if he had a burning desire to design a hypercar, Red Bull and Infiniti would probably be able to help him out. I think Horner has vaguely hinted at possible roadcar projects before also.

Racer X

I think that for Newey moving to Ferrari would make sense but then again why leave RedBull if he must then... i say Ferrari..

Any rumors on Hulk and Perez i expect FI will keep them both and further develop that car and really push next season to their fullest... then next season when more seat open up i can see Hulk or Perez trying to move out but right now no top teams are going to take them either of them.. So staying at FI is a good deal.. for both
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

dren

Sadly I don't think Hulk has a shot at a top team. Ferrari have Bianchi. Mercedes looks to be locked tight for several years unless Hamilton decides to jump ship. The only spot I could see opening up would be at Williams when Massa decides to move on. That drive is looking more respectable now.

As for Vettel being a hot commodity, I think I'd rather look at someone else after his driving this year. He is being handily beaten by his teammate. He doesn't seem as happy with the loose rear ends. He liked the planted EBD cars.
Honda!

Manoah2u

ok here we go

Ricciardo Champion (Vettel out, Kvyat in)
Hamilton to Mclaren with Grosjean (Button & Magnussen out) [thanks to full rosberg clash]
Vettel to Ferrari (Raikkonen out, next year alonso out, Bianchi in)
Bottas joins and beats Rosberg @ Merc
Juncadella replaces Hulk @ FI

Lotus gets Mercedes engine, Pastor stays, Grosjean out, Button in

Newey to Ferrari
Brawn at Honda

Williams sinks again after Bottas out, Felipe Nasr in

Caterham out (ala HRT-style)
Haas F1 with Ferrari engine in
Sauber fumbles mid-season and is sold to some arab investor
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

shelly

Vettel to Mclaren because of Prodromou
twitter: @armchair_aero

iotar__

shelly wrote:Vettel to Mclaren because of Prodromou
So your logic is that one aero person (albeit a chief aero person) is enough for Vettel to change a team? Remarkable, BTW when does he start working at McL? I assume Prodromou is enough to convince him that Honda engine and McL chassis will be better than Renault engine and RB chassis in 2015, how may I ask? Stressing engine part as more questionable.

ScottB

dren wrote:Sadly I don't think Hulk has a shot at a top team. Ferrari have Bianchi. Mercedes looks to be locked tight for several years unless Hamilton decides to jump ship. The only spot I could see opening up would be at Williams when Massa decides to move on. That drive is looking more respectable now.

As for Vettel being a hot commodity, I think I'd rather look at someone else after his driving this year. He is being handily beaten by his teammate. He doesn't seem as happy with the loose rear ends. He liked the planted EBD cars.
I tend to agree, he's been passed up so often, perhaps the top teams don't rate him as highly as a lot of people around here do...

I mean, Ferrari favoured first Massa, then Kimi. Mclaren went for Perez than Kevin. Red Bull obviously are a no no, and Merc would be very unlikely obviously.

Not that I'm saying he's bad, and less talented guys have gotten better seats, but it just seems like his best opportunities have probably already passed him by.