2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Gaz.
Gaz.

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season

WaikeCU wrote:
Gaz. wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:Would be nice if the rules say that the third car can only be driven by a rookie.
Then what happens the following year if that driver isn't illegible for the 3rd car and the two other cars have contracted drivers? They can't go back to GP2 so that would be their single seater career effectively over unless they went to Indycars.
Either one or two of the main drivers will leave, so that the rookie driver can be promoted to main driver or he has proven himself to other teams that (s)he's good enough for a main seat at their teams.

What would be interesting to see is that the business model of F1 should be revised. The revenue of F1 should be shared between the teams evenly each season. Rookies driving the 3rd car, should be picked with a drafting system. Draft ranking is in ascending order. Worst team gets to choose first and the Constructors Champions will pick last. With this system, F1 will remain competitive and guarantee financially healthy! Bernie wouldn't have to go to Azerbijan for a GP and leave classics like Monza for example off the calendar.
So had Pascal Wehrlein driven for Mercedes this year, Merc finish 1-2-3 in the WDC and a land slide WCC victory. Under your model either Rosberg, Hamilton or Wehrlein has a guaranteed sacking at the end of the year... I think that's even worse than the current status quo. It is bad enough that seats have to be sold, it is even worse that they can only be sold or filled by someone meeting a particular criteria that isn't "is this the very best person for the job?"
Forza Jules

Gaz.
Gaz.

f1universe wrote:
ScottB wrote:Sky Italia reporting an Alonso / Vettel seat swap is in the offing.

Seems... Unlikely to me. Vettel to Ferrari, Alonso to Mclaren and an RBR driver to Red Bull would seem a little more likely, but even then.
I looks like a bad deal for Alonso, he can't be that stupid, but he jumped to mclaren-renault-ferrari, so probably that is his thing, endless pain #-o
He's swapping a drive from a team that has finished 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd and currently 4th & in a state of flux, for a team that has finished 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st and currently 2nd and reasonably stable. The form book certainly sides with Red Bull Racing.

It looks like a terrible deal for Vettel, and I cannot believe that Santander would be happy that 'their' driver is leaving yet another team they are committed to for another few years. Mario Mattiachi has already said Raikkonen & Alonso would see out their contracts, which implies those contracts can be bought, would Red Bull really spend all of that money when Kvyat is waiting in the wings for a comparable rock bottom price?
Forza Jules

alexx_88
alexx_88

Yes, if the potential gains in the latin markets that Alonso brings to RB offset the price of his contract. Considering RedBull's (the energy drink) volumes, just a few percent increase in sales in those areas would probably outweigh Alonso's cost.

If Vettel leaves RB, I can't see them promoting young blood again and be left without a powerful driver image to promote their brand.

ScottB
ScottB

alexx_88 wrote:Yes, if the potential gains in the latin markets that Alonso brings to RB offset the price of his contract. Considering RedBull's (the energy drink) volumes, just a few percent increase in sales in those areas would probably outweigh Alonso's cost.

If Vettel leaves RB, I can't see them promoting young blood again and be left without a powerful driver image to promote their brand.
Depends who would sell more juice, Alonso in Spain, or Kyvat in Russia. I've seen some suggestion that Russia is a market Red Bull is keen to expand in...

Also, they went For Ricciardo over Kimi, and look how that worked out, secondly, they need to justify the existence of their feeder program. With Dan seemingly more than capable of leading the line, why not promote Kyvat, thus freeing another STR seat to ease their 'too many rookies' problems, allowing Sainz Jnr. or someone else to come in? Alonso is brilliant, no question, but he is old, and won't come cheap. I could well see RBR opting for one of their rookies, with Mclaren and Honda's chequebook primed to give Nando a new home...
Last edited by ScottB on 16 Sep 2014, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

ScottB
ScottB

Gaz. wrote:
f1universe wrote:
ScottB wrote:Sky Italia reporting an Alonso / Vettel seat swap is in the offing.

Seems... Unlikely to me. Vettel to Ferrari, Alonso to Mclaren and an RBR driver to Red Bull would seem a little more likely, but even then.
I looks like a bad deal for Alonso, he can't be that stupid, but he jumped to mclaren-renault-ferrari, so probably that is his thing, endless pain #-o
He's swapping a drive from a team that has finished 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd and currently 4th & in a state of flux, for a team that has finished 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st and currently 2nd and reasonably stable. The form book certainly sides with Red Bull Racing.

It looks like a terrible deal for Vettel, and I cannot believe that Santander would be happy that 'their' driver is leaving yet another team they are committed to for another few years. Mario Mattiachi has already said Raikkonen & Alonso would see out their contracts, which implies those contracts can be bought, would Red Bull really spend all of that money when Kvyat is waiting in the wings for a comparable rock bottom price?
I suspect the motivation for Vettel would be to show 'it wasn't just the car' plus he could well be a bit rattled with Dan's unexpectedly good showing.

Plus I suppose many drivers simply want to drive for Ferrari at some point in their careers.

stewilkinson
stewilkinson

WaikeCU wrote:
Gaz. wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:Would be nice if the rules say that the third car can only be driven by a rookie.
Then what happens the following year if that driver isn't illegible for the 3rd car and the two other cars have contracted drivers? They can't go back to GP2 so that would be their single seater career effectively over unless they went to Indycars.
Either one or two of the main drivers will leave, so that the rookie driver can be promoted to main driver or he has proven himself to other teams that (s)he's good enough for a main seat at their teams.
Or a more of a "first time driver" scheme rather than a genuine first year rookie, so if a rookie comes in they can keep the rookie seat the next year but if they change teams or don't race the year after then they cannot go into the third car of any team. It would foster building a rookie for a few seasons rather than giving them a sink or swim first season.

mikeerfol

ScottB
ScottB

How long would you need to make that choice!

Surely if Alonso fancies it, the decision would be whether to keep Button or Mag!

George-Jung
George-Jung

Alonso will decide if he wants to go to Honda-Mclaren.. and not the other way around.

They want Alonso, but if he stays at Ferrari, they will keep Button.

PlatinumZealot

Vettel to Mclaren. I don't think he can take another year of this exposure. He should fit quite well over there. When last has Macca had a German driver btw?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SectorOne

PlatinumZealot wrote:When last has Macca had a German driver btw?
Niki in 85 i think.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

mikeerfol

SectorOne wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:When last has Macca had a German driver btw?
Niki in 85 i think.
Lauda is Austrian :P

SectorOne

haha, i´m too tired to be doing this :)
I even skipped Wurz because i knew he was Austrian and somehow forgot it all about Lauda :D
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

mikeerfol

SectorOne wrote:haha, i´m too tired to be doing this :)
I even skipped Wurz because i knew he was Austrian and somehow forgot it all about Lauda :D
I'm surprised you didn't say Berger :P

SectorOne

I missed him completely :D half an hour more and the brain will start working in optimal conditions ;)

I think Jochen Mass was the last German driving for Mclaren, in 1977.