2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Shrieker

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season

What a brain dead move from Ferrari... Alonso is the only guy who take that sh!twagon places maybe with the exception of Hamilton. There are simply no others who can deliver good results in mediocre cars (mediocre for a big team and budget). Who are they going to put in the car now ? They could've very well ended this year with NO PODIUMS if not for Alonso. Has that ever happened ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

siskue2005

Richard

What's happening to the forum? We have talk of moron and idiots as TPs in another thread, now Ferrari are brain dead in this one!

Alonso hasn't moved (yet) so its hard to condemn something that hasn't happened. Also to be fair to Ferrari it's probably not their move. Once a driver decides he wants to move onto another team there's not much the team can do about it.

ScottB

richard_leeds wrote:What's happening to the forum? We have talk of moron and idiots as TPs in another thread, now Ferrari are brain dead in this one!

Alonso hasn't moved (yet) so its hard to condemn something that hasn't happened. Also to be fair to Ferrari it's probably not their move. Once a driver decides he wants to move onto another team there's not much the team can do about it.
Unless you go with the suggestion Mattiacci wants him out to both establish himself as boss and build around a new, younger driver.

Not saying I do, but it's not impossible. Personally I think the idea that Alonso didn't want to commit beyond the end of next season and Ferrari called his bluff might be more likely, thinking he had nowhere better to go, I guess rather like Hamilton and Mclaren, they've possibly played a risky game thinking they had a stronger hand than they really did...

henra

Manoah2u wrote: Nah, Alonso is definately exit at Ferrari.
I wouldn't put any serious money against that statement either (or any Money for that matter).
And McLaren seems like the only logical and available choice.
And he has got nothing to lose there. He doesn't risk being outdriven by a fast rookie with a Team Mate Jenson Button (who is rather sensitive regarding car behaviour and will thus be eays prey for Alonso in these days of cars with twitchy rear ends).
And if the year doesn't work too well, well that's what everybody expected anyway...
So: Why not?!

Shrieker

richard_leeds wrote:What's happening to the forum? We have talk of moron and idiots as TPs in another thread, now Ferrari are brain dead in this one!

They should be doing more to keep Alonso, but aren't. They can't even challenge for wins anymore, i guess they don't want podiums either.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Shrieker

Phil wrote:
Shrieker wrote:Also, it would be daft on Ferrari's part if they're forced to give Alonso a raise to retain him, but aren't. He's literally keeping them afloat atm.
True. Though i do wonder if Ferrari might perform better as a whole without Alonso.

So... If Alonso leaves - yes, they'll be losing a brilliant driver for sure, but maybe as a team, it might do them well too....?
This ironically reminded me of Jacques Villeneuve. After he was ousted at the end of 2003, they were suddenly a lot more competitive the following year. Though the two situations can't really be compared, completely different dynamics at work, basically that team was being rebuilt and they didn't want the old painting on the wall dragging them down. It must be said Alonso isn't suffering from bad form like JV did back then tho. If they think the No.1 driver is standing in the way of rebuilding the team then fair play, but they surely couldn't have scored a podium without him this year and what will they look like if Alonso is let go and the next car isn't substantially better ? No podiums for an entire season for a team like Ferrari...
First pick from the right; three car Merc. team with Ros/Ham/Alo. Talk about fireworks then :P
-Atatürk

Manoah2u

Shrieker wrote:

They should be doing more to keep Alonso, but aren't. They can't even challenge for wins anymore, i guess they don't want podiums either.
Ferrari isn't about alonso. Ferrari wants to win. There is nothing more Ferrari wants than a podium. Unfortunately, the 'recipe' Ferrari has used the past years has gotten worse and worse results, despite having a top-notch World Champion there whom at the beginning was still motivated. Ferrari has cut off big heads and Alonso is no different. Why? because it really doesn't matter anyway, they aren't able to win despite having Fernando there. So the use of fernando is gone.

If something no longer is of use, you dispose of it. The entire F1 team essentialy is disposed of and replaced with a different one, because the former one did not result. Ferrari knows the 'chemistry' with Alonso burned out, and it doesn't really matter whether they are partially responsible for this, all that matters is how to fix a 'broken' Ferrai F1 team.

And that's what Ferrari is doing. Meanwhile, Alonso moves on, too.

Ferrari has to show some balls now and 'get things done'. Painting an image where they 'ditch' alonso paints a picture of Ferrari actually showing leadership and 'power' towards the Tifosi and the market, instead of dwelling in the same standard grey comments and empty words.

If Ferrari ditches Alonso, and contracts Bianchi, they'll save more then 30 million dollars and get a good number 2 driver that can mature enough aside Raikkonen for a 'crossover year' at Ferrari. Then get a top-notch driver for 2016 to get their investment back. Hamilton or Vettel would be the most interesting deal there.

so instead of ferrari 'not wanting any podiums anymore', ferrari is actually ditching the 'weight' that is keeping them from flying again. I think we'll have a completely revised Maranello in just 2 to 3 years, and I think there will be wins in the pipeline just as fast. a Championship? Difficult to say. Ferrari would have had championships with Alonso during the dominant Vettel era if they didn't have weak characters like Domenicali that sugarcoated giant tactic errors.

Redbull surely played some politics, Ferrari did not take it to the same politics as they did in the Schumacher era and that has cost them their championship(s). Instead all people remember is how Alonso missed out to Vettel after being stranded behind Petrov, and how Perez had to hold back because there was a Ferrari engine in the back of that car.

Ferrari needs a new start and new image and Alonso simply can't be a part of that. So ferrari really shouldn't be doing anything to keep alonso, instead, they need to ditch him, it's bad for the image and it's bad for Alonso, too.
No way Ferrari will have sudden magic bullet effects for 2015 and have a Title contender. That means another year of pain and disappointment for Alonso and the fans. All the fans see is Alonso another year not getting where they want to be and vise versa.

So better get rid off Alonso and make a fresh start. They'll be hated for just a tiny moment, but in 2015, nobody will be visually reminded of another year of a non-working Alonso-Ferrari partnership. They might see Alonso either struggling or having fun in Mclaren-Honda, and a new guy at Ferrari whom are in a 'transfer' year and of whom isn't expected too much.

So ditching alonso is a win-win for both. Alonso = out. no doubt about it. I'll eat my hat if he stays and battles for the championship with Ferrari next year. If he becomes WDC + WCC with ferrari next year i will gladly cook and eat my hat and put it on youtube.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

adrianjordan

henra wrote:
Manoah2u wrote: Nah, Alonso is definately exit at Ferrari.
I wouldn't put any serious money against that statement either (or any Money for that matter).
And McLaren seems like the only logical and available choice.
And he has got nothing to lose there. He doesn't risk being outdriven by a fast rookie with a Team Mate Jenson Button (who is rather sensitive regarding car behaviour and will thus be eays prey for Alonso in these days of cars with twitchy rear ends).
And if the year doesn't work too well, well that's what everybody expected anyway...
So: Why not?!
I agree. In fact if he ended up being beaten by Button that's not even that bad as JB IS a former WDC (putting a spin on things) who was able to match Hamilton at times...

I actually think it would be good for JB too - I think he always seems to drive better when his team-mate is pushing him.

As for car characteristics, I seem to remember hearing at one time that JB and FA want similar things in terms of setup - anyone back that up?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

TigerF1

Interesting news - Honda appear to be nowhere with their Powertrain. Both McLaren and Ferrari are incredibly crap at the moment and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. I'd be staying at Fezza if I was Fernando even though a McLaren Honda Alonso combo would bring back romantic memories of the early 90s for some people.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda ... ch-report/

To answer the above question about FB vs. FA driving styles - Alonso is super aggressive like Hamilton while Button is a classic smooth driver. *EDIT - IN terms of car setup between the two then Alonso would probs prefer more oversteer while Jenson understeer. Can't wait for Suzuka!

Kiril Varbanov

Some people really want Alonso out of Ferrari - http://motor.as.com/motor/2014/10/01/fo ... 38534.html

MOWOG

I have to conclude from that article that Mattiacci is an ass. Good luck to Ferrari with that fool at the helm! :?

Basically, the article suggests that Mattiacci wants some schlub in Alonso's seat so when the 2015 car falls flat, he can blame the driver, not the team. Jules Bianchi should be hoping his phone DOESN'T ring! [-o<
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

f1universe

MOWOG wrote:I have to conclude from that article that Mattiacci is an ass. Good luck to Ferrari with that fool at the helm! :?

Basically, the article suggests that Mattiacci wants some schlub in Alonso's seat so when the 2015 car falls flat, he can blame the driver, not the team. Jules Bianchi should be hoping his phone DOESN'T ring! [-o<

Mattiacci want puppets that he can control, Alonso is a lion, if you don't feed him, he will bite you and people will know it and blame you for not giving him food if you know what I mean.

I had a good vibe about Mattiacci at first but know it looks to me like he is Montezemolo 2.0, a guy with a big ego.

Richard

It seems that Alonso and Ferrari fell out of love long before the arrival of Mattiacci. We shouldn't blame Mattiacci for being the mid-wife of what appears to be a foregone conclusion.

Also, I always have a suspicion about the sources of stories like this. Was it made up by journalist with a deadline? If there is a genuine source, then which side of the divorce leaked it to the press?

FW17

f1universe wrote:
MOWOG wrote:I have to conclude from that article that Mattiacci is an ass. Good luck to Ferrari with that fool at the helm! :?

Mattiacci want puppets that he can control, Alonso is a lion, if you don't feed him, he will bite you and people will know it and blame you for not giving him food if you know what I mean.

I had a good vibe about Mattiacci at first but know it looks to me like he is Montezemolo 2.0, a guy with a big ego.
Ferrari started going down hill when the multi ethnic team became more of italiancentric team post schumacher era. When stefano left I thought they will bring someone neutral but they still feel strongly for nationalism