Teflon coating

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Edax wrote: For a similar reason a lot of people spray their racing bike frames with PTFE (Well the hardcore racers do it to prevent having to carry a few grams of dirt around, I just do it because I'm quite lazy when it comes to cleaning after a ride)
They spray it with a load of lubricating/silicone oil that may or may not have a little bit of PTFE powder in it.....it's not the PTFE keeping the dirt off :D

PlatinumZealot

People can buy the teflon sprays off Amazon. I think they are good as long as you you don't scratch away the coating which is very easy to scratch away mind you. I think the coating is really there to prevent rubber sticking to the FW more than to help reduce drag.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

turbof1 wrote:I'm not going to vouch for either of you, but I do have my own theory about it.

First off, have you ever seen gasoline in water in broad daylight? The mixture breaks the sunlight into its color spectrum. It's because the gasoline top reflects light differently then the water underneath.

I believe the purple is the same: the coating is colorless, but due the bottom paint reflecting light differently, and perhaps also the shadows from the garage play in it, the color spectrum splits and that is causing the purple hue. Obviously Tedt would be seeing this too.

It is known that teams use these coats, no question about it that Mercedes has one.

EDIT: I feel this doesn't belong here and is worthy enough for its own topic. I'll split it off later on.
I think you're talking about iridescence. I'd agree.
On the full-width photo SectorOne posted of the front end, the left side (right of frame) of the wing shows the colouration on the silver trailing edges, whereas it's far less (if at all) visible on the right side.

Think pearlescent paints, insect wings etc. No pigment, but visibly coloured due to their optical properties (variously: scattering/refraction/polarisation) rather than absorption/reflection that pigments use.

P.s. I've no clue what the coating is - could just be a funky pearlescent paint job, or something more functional - no idea!

turbof1

avatar wrote: I think you're talking about iridescence. I'd agree.
On the full-width photo SectorOne posted of the front end, the left side (right of frame) of the wing shows the colouration on the silver trailing edges, whereas it's far less (if at all) visible on the right side.

Think pearlescent paints, insect wings etc. No pigment, but visibly coloured due to their optical properties (variously: scattering/refraction/polarisation) rather than absorption/reflection that pigments use.

P.s. I've no clue what the coating is - could just be a funky pearlescent paint job, or something more functional - no idea!
Bigno! Iridescence is what I meant. +1:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridescence
#AeroFrodo

Edax
Edax

PhillipM wrote:
Edax wrote: For a similar reason a lot of people spray their racing bike frames with PTFE (Well the hardcore racers do it to prevent having to carry a few grams of dirt around, I just do it because I'm quite lazy when it comes to cleaning after a ride)
They spray it with a load of lubricating/silicone oil that may or may not have a little bit of PTFE powder in it.....it's not the PTFE keeping the dirt off :D
Indeed there is a lot of stuff around. But the stuff I'm using is PTFE particles with an acrylic binder and solvent, so not oil based, and the end result is (supposed to be) a highly packed dry layer.

I have a professional dislike for silicone oils so I would never let that stuff anywhere near my house.

Just thinking about the color. Could it be a fluorescent dye? They can light up a bit depending on the lighting conditions.

One of the things with these kind of sprays is that it is hard to see which surface is alread covered. Adding a bit of dye, would make it easy to check with an UV lamp.

PlatinumZealot

Re: Teflon coating

Why do you hate silicone oils?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

PhillipM
PhillipM

Edax wrote: Indeed there is a lot of stuff around. But the stuff I'm using is PTFE particles with an acrylic binder and solvent, so not oil based, and the end result is (supposed to be) a highly packed dry layer.
Well, just as an experiment, you can buy acrylic binder from most art/paint shops, and PTFE powder from many locksmiths. If you wish to try it, see what the durability is like of PTFE staying bonded to a thin surface coating of acrylic binder - even when it's acid etched, it's not good. Especially if it's being hit by debris at 200mph. The thing about a non-stick powder is, it works both ways :)

Edax
Edax

PhillipM wrote:
Edax wrote: Indeed there is a lot of stuff around. But the stuff I'm using is PTFE particles with an acrylic binder and solvent, so not oil based, and the end result is (supposed to be) a highly packed dry layer.
Well, just as an experiment, you can buy acrylic binder from most art/paint shops, and PTFE powder from many locksmiths. If you wish to try it, see what the durability is like of PTFE staying bonded to a thin surface coating of acrylic binder - even when it's acid etched, it's not good. Especially if it's being hit by debris at 200mph. The thing about a non-stick powder is, it works both ways :)
Well I'm not doing 200 on my bike and the chances of me accidentally cycling into a hurricane are pretty slim, so I don't really worry about 200 mph debris. :D

I agree that such a coating (if used) would not be durable, but it would help. And if you look how how the cars are for instance affected by a blocked slot in the FW, then I'd say better than nothing is still worth doing. And they only need to work for a couple of hours.

Etching indeed wouldn't help, no need to try it. But if you want to go really fancy you could graft it on there. There are some curable PFTE composites around which really form a coating. But I guess that would probably affect the non-stick properties somewhat.

Who knows perhaps they are just using turtle wax with some coloring added, to avoid the embarrasment of using an off-the-shelf component, and to have the competition (and us) guessing about a miracle "speed coating". :lol:
n smikle wrote:Why do you hate silicone oils?
OT.. Worked with ultra high vacuum applications. In vacuum it is agressive, mobile and non-cleanable. If you get some silicone contamination, then your equipment is a write-off.

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

Based on a couple of decades around military aerospace composites, I seriously doubt if there is any Teflon coating on the composite surfaces because it would prohibit a bonded repair. It wouldn't even surprise me if Teflon suspended in sprays or liquids is actually banned from anywhere in the vicinity of the car, if not the entire factory, because of the potential for contaminating composite fabrication and repairs.

Ramdrive
Ramdrive

I know Ted said it is a spray but I would find that hard to believe.

For this application I would use a thermoplastic film as it needs to be hard wearing and aerodynamically efficient, In fact we developed such a film for another industry.

Edax
Edax

flyboy2160 wrote:Based on a couple of decades around military aerospace composites, I seriously doubt if there is any Teflon coating on the composite surfaces because it would prohibit a bonded repair. It wouldn't even surprise me if Teflon suspended in sprays or liquids is actually banned from anywhere in the vicinity of the car, if not the entire factory, because of the potential for contaminating composite fabrication and repairs.
That's interesting. Could be true, if something is harmful for production then it is usually banned from the whole facility. I know a few places where you rather want to get caught arriving at work drunk than carrying the wrong materials.

I'm not at all familiar with CRFP production. Do you happen to know what they would use as a mold release system. By nature that needs to be something which does not combine well with the laminate and have good anti sticking properties.

Other thing I'm wonder would they actually risk making a bonded repair on a used and painted component in F1? Scrapping a plane or taking it apart for a bit of ramp rash is a bit overdone, but for F1 I would expect them just to constuct a new component.

Ramdrive
Ramdrive

If it is a spray it could be something as simple as a PTFE Mold Release Agent.

basti313
basti313

I like this discussion, but sorry...different angles, different reflections from the metallic paint. Just not enough to see any special coatings.

Ramdrive wrote:I know Ted said it is a spray but I would find that hard to believe.

For this application I would use a thermoplastic film as it needs to be hard wearing and aerodynamically efficient, In fact we developed such a film for another industry.
But you do not need them to be that hard wearing, the surface must only be very smooth. You can do this with the clear coat, Mercedes has a lot of experience in this field, maybe the best clear coats on road cars.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Ramdrive
Ramdrive

Force India use something called C0 Aerocoat:-

http://www.forceindiaf1.com/news/detail ... y-gtechniq

This looks like a standard ceramic coating that is used on road cars, I doubt it is thick or slippery enough for the job.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Ramdrive wrote:I know Ted said it is a spray but I would find that hard to believe.

It's not hard to believe, most teams use off-the-shelf paint treatment systems, as I said earlier, I know for a fact Force India have been using Gtechniqs Crystal Coatings for the past few years, and their C2 spray as a top up, and I've seen their bottles in other garages too, albiet with stickers removed from those that have other companies sponsoring them which are competing in the same field.

Why use a teflon oil spray when there's sealants and coatings which are more durable and do a better job ;)