Teflon coating

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PhillipM

Re: Teflon coating

Ramdrive wrote: This looks like a standard ceramic coating that is used on road cars, I doubt it is thick or slippery enough for the job.
Why does it need to be thick? You don't want a layer of weight-adding film over the extremities of the car...

flyboy2160

Re: Teflon coating

Edax wrote:
flyboy2160 wrote:...Do you happen to know what they would use as a mold release system. By nature that needs to be something which does not combine well with the laminate and have good anti sticking properties.

Other thing I'm wonder would they actually risk making a bonded repair on a used and painted component in F1? Scrapping a plane or taking it apart for a bit of ramp rash is a bit overdone, but for F1 I would expect them just to constuct a new component.
There are a variety of chemicals used as mold releases, including waxes and proprietary resin systems dissolved in solvents. I'm most familiar with the Frekote resin cure systems from Henkel http://www.henkelna.com/brands-1556.htm ... 7571973262 These are essentially 'cured' to the surface of the tool and have been shown over decades to not contaminate the cured part. Even so, the mold release application and curing is almost always done in a separate room from the 'clean' layup room. The mold uncured releases and any used rags, gloves, tools, and smocks aren't permitted in the 'clean' layup room.

There are actually PTFE based systems, but they're more applicable to releasing parts that aren't ever intended to be repaired or painted, like perhaps a molded rubber part.

Like you, I can't see repairing something like a suspension arm or wing that is extensively damaged, but I'm sure I've read about in the field composite repairs.