FRIC Could Be Banned As Soon As Germany

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PhillipM

Re: FRIC Could Be Banned As Soon As Germany

mikeerfol wrote:
FoxHound wrote:
I think Bernie has found his team to vote for the change. And my guess is they flounder at the back of the grid.
Marussia? :?:
They have had FRIC on their car from the word go...

Cam

Illegal is illegal - what, so now there is wriggle room? Interesting to see the range of opinions when the rules turn-about-face on another team that's dominating. :lol:

Personally, I reckon it's Ferrari. I've been saying for ages how they don't compete in the court rooms like the others do, maybe they start today - although that whole Caterham deal timing is suspicious too - where's Brawn in all this. He's the cat that likes to swoop on a bargain team and loop hole a rule or two FTW!

Stunning move by whoever did it =D> I am in awe.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Gaz.

PhillipM wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:
FoxHound wrote:
I think Bernie has found his team to vote for the change. And my guess is they flounder at the back of the grid.
Marussia? :?:
They have had FRIC on their car from the word go...
The question is, whose is not as good as it could be?
Forza Jules

FoxHound

It wont be Red Bull, Mercedes, Ferrari, Marussia, Lotus or Force India. Unsure as to what Mclaren have. Williams wouldn't tread on Mercedes toes and Torro Rosso Red Bull's. Caterham have something which would be illegal in the event of a ban, so can't see it coming from them.

Leaving the possibility of a cash strapped and under Performing Sauber. Or it could be anyone wanting to see a competitors advantage nullified.
Or...common sense prevails and they wait until next year.
JET set

beelsebob

Cam wrote:Illegal is illegal - what, so now there is wriggle room? Interesting to see the range of opinions when the rules turn-about-face on another team that's dominating. :lol:
The question is... why are the current cars illegal? What specifically makes them violate the rules.

Cam

beelsebob wrote:
Cam wrote:Illegal is illegal - what, so now there is wriggle room? Interesting to see the range of opinions when the rules turn-about-face on another team that's dominating. :lol:
The question is... why are the current cars illegal? What specifically makes them violate the rules.
Does it matter? Has it ever mattered? The precedence is that the strict wording of the regulations can be altered by the FIA's definition. Regardless of what was 'understood' by the rules at any given time, the FIA can (and does) change it's mind.

I think trying to understand what is the issues is pointless - this is a political issue now - that is how it will be resolved.
If unanimous support is not reached, then Whiting has made it clear that from the next race in Germany, any team running FRIC risks being reported to the stewards by the FIA for non-compliance with the regulations.

The fact that the FIA has indicated it believes FRIC to be illegal also opens the door for a team to protest one of its rivals from the next race.

It has asked teams to vote on whether or not they will be in favour of delaying the ban until the start of 2015 rather than it coming into force for the German GP.

However, for that to happen it would require unanimous support from all the teams on the grid.
This thing is done. One team has the card. They may not play it - but they'll want something pretty special in return.

Love it!
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Shrieker

Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch...

Love it !

Corruption to the core.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Cam

The only other 'wild' idea is this: Caterham turns up with a standard Suspension at germany. The new 'silent' owners are swiss right? The new livery and the name - Rot Stier. That's payback for Silverstone 2012 and Austria 2014 :lol:
― Socrates

bill shoe

Tim.Wright wrote:A quick look at the Caterham suggests that they have pro-dive on their front suspension, so I'd expect the ban to kick them hard in the balls.

http://f1tcdn.net/gallery/var/resizes/2 ... 8/nose.jpg

The control arms are largely parallel and slope down to the back of the car so this would put the IC below the ground which means negative anti dive.
Yep, I stand corrected. I was only remembering the upper arm without noticing the lower arm had same angle.

EDIT- someone else said it is anti-dive. On further thought I think the anti vs pro-dive thing probably depends on assumptions about CG height/location relative to effective line-of-action of front wishbones. I don't have accurate geometry or info on CG location so I will now officially be agnostic. I think it's not as simple looking at the usual anti-dive tricks on a street car where a quick glance can tell you what's going on. Anyway, sorry for bringing technical issues into a discussion about an FIA political ploy. :)

Cam

bill shoe wrote:Anyway, sorry for bringing technical issues into a discussion about an FIA political ploy. :)
Why are you apologising? Are you being facetious? Most of us are adult enough to allow both forms of discussion, simultaneously. Where's the harm in that?

No-one yet nows exactly what the problem is specifically that has caused the illegaility question - so everyone is 'hypothesising'. That's ok. It's good to see a range of views and angles on that.

F1 is more than just 'nuts & bolts' though. So it would be remiss to ignore other areas that can effect performance - unless you disagree?

As the man himself says:
MrE wrote:Don't sit down at a poker game if you can't ante up.
― Socrates

FW17

Come on Ron! get it banned!

bhall II

FoxHound wrote:[...]

Or...common sense prevails and they wait until next year.
That would be a first, no?

PlatinumZealot

Cam wrote:Beautiful. Why would any team not vote that down. A massive change like this could level the field, what do you have to loose - unless you're Mercedes. I'd theorise someone has been sitting on this for a while, just waiting to play the card if they weren't performing. With Merc clearly 2 seconds a lap faster - what else can the teams do?

Remember, when you can't find performance on the track, you can find it in the court rooms - by hobbling others. :lol:
Yes, I also think it is more than hobbling. I think this is a ploy by Ferrari or Redbull to try to single out in the most legal, way (without having to spy) where Mercedes is getting their speed from and doing that by starting with their suspension. It's is a devious but very clever move. Imagine the FRICS banned in Germany and Mercedes are back down to earth running 2 tenths slower than the RedBulls! Horner would be like: AHA! that's where you silver livered crooks get your 2 seconds a lap!
However if Mercedes are still 2 seconds in front even without FRICS then good, Ferrari and RedBull will have gotten their answer will just have to keep on their long arduous journeys working on their retarded engines.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Cam

Not sure the ultimate goal of this is to glean where Mercedes power advantage is - it is an attempt to disrupt Mercedes though. Or is it?

The ultimate twist: Mercedes build up a huge advantage for the first half, then dob themselves in (and everyone else by default) and gets FRIC banned. Meanwhile, in Germany (Mercedes' home race), Mercedes launch the spec B car with no FRIC. Mercedes win with no FRIC, thereby confirming once and for all they have the best engine and chassis. The best or nothing!

Wow, my imagination is full the fric out there...... that would be genius though.

But no, seriously, someone has been planning this one superbly.
― Socrates

FW17

Was missing the political ploy in F1, glad to see it back after many years.
:D

Merc will still have an advantage of some 40-80hp over the others, should keep them a second in front.