They might neuter ERS, too

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bhall II

They might neuter ERS, too

grandprix.com wrote:If the latest developments are any indication, Mercedes' dominance might not last for too long.

Last year, we reported that a secret under the skin of the silver car is 'Fric' -- standing for 'front and rear interconnected'.

Emulating active suspension, the system is now widespread up and down the pitlane, but the FIA's Charlie Whiting has sent a letter to teams warning that Fric's legality "could be called into question".

An immediate ban is reportedly on the cards. And that is not all.

The Spanish sports newspaper Marca reports that the FIA is also considering clamping down on the rate and flow of hybrid power from the new 2014 'power units'.

A source was quoted as saying that while the actual combustion engines produced by Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault this year are remarkably close in performance, the big advantage enjoyed by Mercedes is in the 'hybrid' areas.

The source said Mercedes' advantage could be as much as "between 110 to 130 horse power on the straights".

Finally, Mercedes could be set to lose a first-lap advantage over its rivals, after Williams' Felipe Massa complained about the behaviour of the silver cars on the formation lap at Silverstone.

"I had to stop twice, pulling in the clutch," the Brazilian is quoted by Spain's sports daily AS.

"They're doing it (driving slowly) for some reason. We always complain, and Charlie said he was going to fix it, but no one has been penalised yet," Massa added.
Last edited by bhall II on 10 Jul 2014, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

Gaz.

Re: They might neuter ERS, too.

Surely if the Mercedes ERS is better than Ferrari & Renaults, then any restriction will hinder the weakest the most? Please correct me if I've got the wrong end of the stick, but surely this would be like the USPGA telling competitors that Bubba Watson hits his driver too far so they are banning the use of the driver for everyone, old Bubba is going to be laughing that he hits his 5 wood further than anyone else can so that's ok....
Forza Jules

Phil

bhall II wrote:
grandprix.com wrote:"I had to stop twice, pulling in the clutch," the Brazilian is quoted by Spain's sports daily AS.

"They're doing it (driving slowly) for some reason. We always complain, and Charlie said he was going to fix it, but no one has been penalised yet," Massa added.
I always thought they were doing it to not have to wait too long at the grid until the race starts... I didn't think this had anything to do with ERS.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

astracrazy

If this is changed as well as FRIC you can say bye bye to Merc in F1

bhall II

Phil wrote:I always thought they were doing it to not have to wait too long at the grid until the race starts... I didn't think this had anything to do with ERS.
I read that as being unrelated to the FIA's potential move to limit ERS flow-rates. But, maybe I read it wrong.

I dunno. None of it makes sense to my simple mind.

JimClarkFan

Formula1 is ridiculous these days. Lauda is right, it is over regulated.

MOWOG

None of it makes sense to my simple mind.
That is because your simple mind and mine have not been steeped for decades in the fine arts described in such delicious detail by Machiavelli. :wtf:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

bhall II

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

SectorOne

What a joke. Red Bull produced some of the finest cars in F1 history, none of the cars were this hampered mid-season because it was too fast.
Now Mercedes has built what is probably the most dominant car in F1 history and all of a sudden that´s not ok anymore.

Ferrari and Renault is 100 E-horses down on straights? Tough luck, at least you know what area to develop next year.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Thunder

I really don't get the 110 - 130 hp advantage? Isn't ERS only allowed to pump 160 hp into the System?

If so are Renault and Ferrari running with Kindergarden Calculators as ERS Units or why should they only have 30 - 50 hp from ERS?
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

WaikeCU

SectorOne wrote:What a joke. Red Bull produced some of the finest cars in F1 history, none of the cars were this hampered mid-season because it was too fast.
Now Mercedes has built what is probably the most dominant car in F1 history and all of a sudden that´s not ok anymore.

Ferrari and Renault is 100 E-horses down on straights? Tough luck, at least you know what area to develop next year.
Exactly, it's like restricting the German NT to 9 onfield players in the World Cup final, because they won 7-1 against Brazil.

WALL_ZACK

SectorOne wrote:What a joke. Red Bull produced some of the finest cars in F1 history, none of the cars were this hampered mid-season because it was too fast.
Didn't they have some of their more aggressive qualifying engine maps outlawed mid season in the blown diffuser era? What about the mass damper being outlawed for Renault? I think there's precedent for this kind of knee-jerk "correction" mid season so I wouldn't be surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised...
Last edited by WALL_ZACK on 09 Jul 2014, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.

Gaz.

WALL_ZACK wrote:
Didn't they have some of their more aggressive qualifying engine maps outlawed mid season in the blown diffuser era?
As I remember it you had to run the same map from Q3 for the first 3 laps of the race. As I understand it this is the first time since Renault's mass damper was banned that the FIA have tried such a drastic mid season changes.
Forza Jules

WALL_ZACK

Gaz. wrote:
WALL_ZACK wrote:
Didn't they have some of their more aggressive qualifying engine maps outlawed mid season in the blown diffuser era?
As I remember it you had to run the same map from Q3 for the first 3 laps of the race. As I understand it this is the first time since Renault's mass damper was banned that the FIA have tried such a drastic mid season changes.
Similar but slightly different: the early season clarifications over the double deck diffuser in 2009 - caused a substantial sh*t storm but created the memorable narrative of Brawn GP winning both titles.

SectorOne

WALL_ZACK wrote:Didn't they have some of their more aggressive qualifying engine maps outlawed mid season in the blown diffuser era? What about the mass damper being outlawed for Renault? I think there's precedent for this kind of knee-jerk "correction" mid season so I wouldn't be surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised...
For Red Bull did they not just ban it for one race, i.e. Silverstone?

With Renault it´s the same messed up reactions from the FIA when they should have waited until after the season.
Thankfully Renault harvested their success that year.

And funnily enough, it was banned at the German GP which happened to be the Hockenheim track.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"