They might neuter ERS, too

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive

Re: They might neuter ERS, too.

RicME85 wrote:What are Mercedes doing differently to Williams seeing as they have the same engine how can Massa be complaining or Merc trickery? Is it just a case of they know their tech better?
Do you seriously believe that MHPE is delivering all power units equal?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

knabbel

xpensive wrote:It didn't, the 5.2.4 clutch was a loophole contradicting 5.1.6 when applied to a split-turbo, why the rules needed to be clarified.

Simple as that.
I still don't see that, yes 5.2.4 states that you can use a clutch to detach the MGU-H from the turbine, but 5.1.6 clearly states that compressor and turbine have to have the same RPM. 1 or 2 clutches between compressor and turbine would always breach rule 5.1.6

That said, I have not had my hands on a Mercedes F1 turbo so I can't say if there is a clutch or not. By the way Ferrari and some other teams have the MGU-H sandwiched between the turbine and compressor housing so technically they are also running a split turbo.

xpensive

Anyways, that's where we are if you ask me.

CBeck113

knabbel wrote:
xpensive wrote:It didn't, the 5.2.4 clutch was a loophole contradicting 5.1.6 when applied to a split-turbo, why the rules needed to be clarified.

Simple as that.
I still don't see that, yes 5.2.4 states that you can use a clutch to detach the MGU-H from the turbine, but 5.1.6 clearly states that compressor and turbine have to have the same RPM. 1 or 2 clutches between compressor and turbine would always breach rule 5.1.6

That said, I have not had my hands on a Mercedes F1 turbo so I can't say if there is a clutch or not. By the way Ferrari and some other teams have the MGU-H sandwiched between the turbine and compressor housing so technically they are also running a split turbo.
It states that they have to have the same rpm, but not when (i.e. "at all times")- and we all know that somthing which is unspecified cannot be inforced until it cannot be refuted.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Dragonfly

If they do it it will be the next of many times the FIA finds a "solution" by putting the horse at the back of the cart.
If they want the other to be more competitive from PU aspect, they should ease the 'freezing' limitation on PU development, not handicap the one who made a better one.
I never quite understood why on the first year of a radically new PU they were so eager to 'freeze' the status quo at the start of the season.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Dragonfly

CBeck113 wrote: It states that they have to have the same rpm, but not when (i.e. "at all times")- and we all know that somthing which is unspecified cannot be inforced until it cannot be refuted.
English is not my primary language but as it is formulated I think 'at all times' is implied in a modal way.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

xpensive

Regardless, with the unforesen split turbo, things became a mess, why Whiting has to clean up on what is right and wrong.

I'm sure Honda wants to know as well.

CBeck113

It is implied, I agree, but any decent engineer would need it written out before it is accepted as a limit. Look at it from this side: when you're at work you get paid to work, and your contract specifies how long you work, where you work, how long your lunch break can be, etc. Does it say how long you are allowed to go to the bathroom? So is it forbidden, since your contract says that you clock in and work until you clock out?
Mercedes, or any other team, can claim that a clutch is necessary in a certain situation, i.e. as xpensive stated above but due to reliability reasons. If Charlie say OK, then they're through.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

matt21

Cold Fussion wrote:You're allowed 4 MJ a lap from the ERS to the MGU-K, with the MGU-K being limited to 120 KW. There's no limit on energy transfer from the MGU-H to MGU-K, apart from the 120 KW limit of the MGU-K. Over a race distance I could imagine the Mercedes unit could have a substantial average power advantage, but I would have thought that over a single qualifying lap the 4 MJ limit would have been sufficient, but clearly it isn't.
But IMO Mercedes is able to use the full power of the MGU-K for a longer percentage of the lap time.
xpensive wrote:
RicME85 wrote:What are Mercedes doing differently to Williams seeing as they have the same engine how can Massa be complaining or Merc trickery? Is it just a case of they know their tech better?
Do you seriously believe that MHPE is delivering all power units equal?
They have too!
FIA wrote:2014 F1 Sporting Regulations
APPENDIX 4 POWER UNIT HOMOLOGATION

2. A manufacturer may homologate no more than one specification of power unit.

FW17

CBeck113 wrote:It is implied, I agree, but any decent engineer would need it written out before it is accepted as a limit. Look at it from this side: when you're at work you get paid to work, and your contract specifies how long you work, where you work, how long your lunch break can be, etc. Does it say how long you are allowed to go to the bathroom? So is it forbidden, since your contract says that you clock in and work until you clock out?
Mercedes, or any other team, can claim that a clutch is necessary in a certain situation, i.e. as xpensive stated above but due to reliability reasons. If Charlie say OK, then they're through.
by that logic of yours 100kg/hr need not mean 28grams/sec

Holm86

CBeck113 wrote:It is implied, I agree, but any decent engineer would need it written out before it is accepted as a limit. Look at it from this side: when you're at work you get paid to work, and your contract specifies how long you work, where you work, how long your lunch break can be, etc. Does it say how long you are allowed to go to the bathroom? So is it forbidden, since your contract says that you clock in and work until you clock out?
So if I get a speeding ticket and just say "the sign didn't say 50 km/h was applicable all the time, it just said 50 km/h." you think that would hold up in court?? Otherwise what should the phrase "the turbine and compressor most rotate at the same angular velocity" apply to?? Only Wednesday afternoons between 14.36 and 16.22 ???

FW17

Williams (the closest partner) and Merc are running with same engine power and ERS power, Williams does the race with 90 kgs Merc starts the race with a 100 kgs.

10 kgs is used by merc with a special map to hot blow the turbines there by giving them about 270 MJ (at a modest efficiency of 60%) of energy to pass through the ERS-K i.e 37 min of running ERS-K at 160 hp

jz11

WilliamsF1 wrote:
by that logic of yours 100kg/hr need not mean 28grams/sec
by anyones logic 100kg/hr shouldn't mean 28gr/sec, because one has the measurement done or calculated for a period 3600 times greater than the other

that is what I tried to argue in the fuelgate thread a while back, and people wouldn't understand the difference, but today we somehow have a clarification to that fuel rule which specifies the minimum time period where the flow must not exceed the amount mentioned in the regulation, so no - not all flows that are 100kg/hr great will also meet the 27,7gr/s measurement, but all 27,7gr/sec flows will meet the 100kg/hr one

kptaylor

So please excuse my ignorance, but is the "Mercs running slowly" on the formation lap in actuality them accelerating then coasting to build up charge in the batteries of the MGU-K? Do these F1 cars operate in a limited way like roadgoing hybrids in that respect? By building up a maximum charge, does that help them with their off the line acceleration?

Does Merc use the K to power/prespool the H in a way that wasn't foreseen?

Just_a_fan

I think Massa's moan is a red herring. The Mercs have got their tyres under control so they slow down to cool other teams tyres and thus gain an off-the-line advantage.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.