If you thought F1 was dead today, just wait...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
CBeck113

Re: If you thought F1 was dead today, just wait...

I think this is important, since I automatically focused on the FiA with this announcement.
The F1 Strategy Group is a new body which has been born out of the bilateral agreement between the FIA and the commercial rights holders CVC and Bernie Ecclestone, signed last month.

Where previously, the teams would all meet to have an input into new ideas and directions for the sport, now it will be a group of just six teams; Mercedes, Red Bull, McLaren, Ferrari, Williams and a floating member, which is currently Lotus due to championship position.
Taken from James Allen | 19 Oct 2013 | 8:12 am GMT

I don't think that this will go well, but would love to be surprised...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Gaz.

On the other hand more tyre manufacturers will be interested to supply F1 again if they can use the same or similar tyres as from WEC. Michelin have made no secret that they would come back if F1 moved away from 13 inch wheels. I wouldn't be surprised if in 2018 F1 has multiple tyre suppliers.
Forza Jules

Manoah2u

to be honest, i think might be getting a bit too carried away negatively on the lotus 'example'. that lotus is genuinely the most horrible ugly car of the field this year, by FAR. so, these wheels are put on the ugliest car out there. Surely doesn't help.
Second of all, the wheels themselves are ugly. With all do respect, they look lumpy and like they come off one of the team's own megane trophy aftermarket rims.

The pirelli 'impression shots' in CGI photos look much better imho. A decent looking wheel will improve, too.

The negativity about being 10 secs off the pace is a bit unnecesary, too. Surely this test was not aiming on beating current times, but as a platform both visually and for data. I'd say they made the safest tire out there.

Now let's go for all the pro's :

1. on the short term, high-quality professional carbon lightweight road wheels. There are almost none around. Lightweight 'alloys' still are heavy and carbon versions are extremely expensive and fragile like glass. The research and experience gained here will be that of pleasement of the entire car industry and especially car enthusiasts.

2. tire improvements. Though there have been low-profile tires around for a while, the extreme amount of forces applied in F1 will bring experience and knowledge to the participants. Knowledge which, in turn, will be finally transferred to the customer when he is going to get the tires for his 18" dubs. And perhaps they can get a little cheaper thanks to that, too.

3. modernity. Though i don't think there's anything wrong with F1's wheels, i do agree its a tad 'outdated' running 13". Especially because modern technology allows what couldnt be achieved a long while back. F1's been losing out on this department and this is a step into 'the future'.

4. public interest. Suddenly you might be wanting to buy BBS or Volk because Vettel won the championship on it. = money.

5. Aero development and brake development surrounding larger rims. how about putting hybrid technology inside the wheel area? or KERS/ERS technology inside the wheel itself?

as for the tires themselves, imho, the wheels just look a tad too flat. Perhaps just increase the front tire diamater by an inch, and for the rears add 2 inches. 8)
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

sennaf1god.94

Gaz. wrote:On the other hand more tyre manufacturers will be interested to supply F1 again if they can use the same or similar tyres as from WEC. Michelin have made no secret that they would come back if F1 moved away from 13 inch wheels. I wouldn't be surprised if in 2018 F1 has multiple tyre suppliers.
This is the first thing I though when the 18" tyre became public. Competition!

I don't get why this should be bad for the sport (18"), sure Pirelli are not on the same level of Michelin or Bridgestone to develop such tyre, Formula E shoes are pretty similar to this Pirelli Concept tyres, and the manufacturer is Michelin...nobody is crying there yet.

So I guess people are overreacting to this new F1 direction, if that means opening the gate for tyre competition.

The problem is not the idea, but the way to implement it. Aka Rules.

Rules have to obey the only F1 principle: Pinnacle of Motorsport. In plain words the fastest form of Motor COMPETITION.

Follow that principle and F1 will always be F1. No matter if turbo or atmosferic, 13" or 18", 2WD or 4WD, etc...as long as competition is intrinsically on each part of a F1 car.

Therefore rules limiting competition are the only ones that should be blamed.
I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's.

Ayrton Senna da Silva

mrluke

TBH its about time.

In 20 years time are F1 cars still going to be the same open wheeled, open cockpit just with even tighter bodywork?

No, probably not and if they are they will have been replaced by a new series as the pinnacle of motorsport. Within the current restrictive rules there is no chance that this change in design will evolve naturally so something more radical is going to be required.

Im watching the dunlop 2139 challenge with interest waiting to see what comes out of it but if we want to get to here:

We aren't going to do it in one step or through design by the FIA.

Manoah2u

this was a cosworth 4WD gp car, back in 69. maybe doesn't sound special now, back then, it did. Hell, today still would
be an enormeous benefit, 4WD in f1. wheel electric engines could do the trick up front. The rules won't allow it though.
Doesn't mean it's too bad, because, to be honest, somewhere the balance between driver and car gets lost.
Too much mechanical 'innovation' will (logically) take away driver input.

It's simple;
zero driver aides + 1000hp on the rear wheels and low aero = huge driver input to keep it on the track and win.
innovative tech + 1000hp on all wheels with smart technology and active aero = sit back and relax.

We don't want the last, but we do want to be awed by amazing design stuff, whether that's technical or visual.

In any case, F1 today is too 'bland'. It's grey. Change is good. This change of wheels is one thing about it, and more things to come is good news.

i'm a huge fan of this artwork (even though all it needs is a rear wing). Its retro and futuristic all in one. Love it.

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

zenji

Yeah, or canyon racing with small experimental delta wing planes powered by a small williams turbofan would keep me chewing popcorn for 2 hours.

beelsebob

These pointy designs won't ever happen until the cars are travelling at supersonic speeds. Until then, bulgy curvy designs will work better.

lebesset

sennaf1god.94 wrote:
Gaz. wrote:On the other hand more tyre manufacturers will be interested to supply F1 again if they can use the same or similar tyres as from WEC. Michelin have made no secret that they would come back if F1 moved away from 13 inch wheels. I wouldn't be surprised if in 2018 F1 has multiple tyre suppliers.
This is the first thing I though when the 18" tyre became public. Competition!

I don't get why this should be bad for the sport (18"), sure Pirelli are not on the same level of Michelin or Bridgestone to develop such tyre, Formula E shoes are pretty similar to this Pirelli Concept tyres, and the manufacturer is Michelin...nobody is crying there yet.

So I guess people are overreacting to this new F1 direction, if that means opening the gate for tyre competition.

The problem is not the idea, but the way to implement it. Aka Rules.

Rules have to obey the only F1 principle: Pinnacle of Motorsport. In plain words the fastest form of Motor COMPETITION.

Follow that principle and F1 will always be F1. No matter if turbo or atmosferic, 13" or 18", 2WD or 4WD, etc...as long as competition is intrinsically on each part of a F1 car.

Therefore rules limiting competition are the only ones that should be blamed.
pirelli may not be at the same level as bridgestone or michelin , but those companies are competent enough to catch up given the incentive ...getting some of pirelli's share of the supercar market should provide that
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be