The quickest F1 car ever built

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
beelsebob

Re: The quickest F1 car ever built

mrluke wrote:Couldn't you get the cockpit to tilt under high G loads so it would all be vertical, then you could have a fighter pilot G suit.
That's the worst thing you could possibly do. As I said above – vertical g forces are what the human body is worst at dealing with.

WaikeCU

If we say that the indycar drivers were fainting because of the banking, what about fighter jet pilots banking to the left or right? they are flying way faster and they can bank as well through the air. Perhaps in this case drivers of this 'quickest' F1 car should wear oxygen face masks too?

SectorOne

They have G-suits designed to keep the blood in the brain. Racing drivers don´t so when there´s a banking you will start to experience problems with blood going away from your brain.

The biggest problem for fighter pilots is redout because the G-suit does not work in that direction.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

PlatinumZealot

ESPImperium wrote:My specs would be like this:

Red Bull RB9 chassis
Renault RS25 engine (1100hp)
Mercedes PU106A Hybrid Systems (200hp)
Bridgestone 2010 slick tyres
Exhaust Blown Diffuser
Double Deck Diffuser
Active Suspension
Various other aerodynamic ducts and deformations
Active two way electronics so that engineers can change maps for the driver.
Weight at 705Kg

Target Lap for Monza: 1:10.000
Target Lap for Spa: 1:32.500
Target Lap for Monaco: 1:08.700
Target Lap for Red Bull Ring: 54:350

Anything that develops about 7.5 to 8 tons of downforce and not the present leading at 3.5 to 3.7 tons of downforce.

However, the car would either have to be driverless or have the driver in a G Suit as Au Rouge would be taken at 340kmh flat, and at the speed trap at Monza you would be pushing 450kmh with all that horsepower and drag being dumped from aero devices. Breaking for Paribolica would only be about 35m in total as Aero would be powerful enough to almost flat line that corner.

The budget for one car would be at about €400m. The present budget for Ferrari for a single years racing in F1.
Hey no need for a double diffuser if you have a ground effects fan sucking the car to the ground! 8)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mrluke

beelsebob wrote:
mrluke wrote:Couldn't you get the cockpit to tilt under high G loads so it would all be vertical, then you could have a fighter pilot G suit.
That's the worst thing you could possibly do. As I said above – vertical g forces are what the human body is worst at dealing with.
If drivers can deal with 35g -lat then there is no issue at all over cornering speeds causing blackouts which makes much of the discussion moot.

strad

Quickest or fastest???
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pieoter

I can not see a human neck sustaining 10g+ horizontally for the duration of a race

argyll

Pilot it remotly from the pits and you'll gain a few more seconds.

Webber2011

Pieoter wrote:I can not see a human neck sustaining 10g+ horizontally for the duration of a race
Surely there's a way to have the helmet completely fixed to the cockpit so the neck doesn't have to take the load ?

crazyguru94

i'd like to add a robot for your unlimited car

second

Sorry for raising an old topic but couldn't resist.

Anyways I just wanted to say I think you'd need to define "fast" a lot better. Is it single lap or race distance? Because if it is just one lap then you can basically build a fancar which has just enough fuel and electricity capacity that it can barely make one full lap before it runs out of fuel, electricity and tires. You could use glued tires, active aero is pretty much given. Use all the drag racing tricks to extract all the power from the engine (nitrous, water injection etc.). With electronics you can basically program the car for each metre of the track

As far as g-forces go the indycar (or was it champcar race) was problematic because the corners were too long in one direction. Also due to the banked nature of the corners this meant a lot of the g-forces were vertical and pushed blood away from the brain. Looking at silverstone map all the longer corners are slow and all the faster corners are about 90 degrees. Sure it would be very physical drive but on the surface I don't see any reason to expect blackouts that are caused by long periods of constant high vertical Gs.

I think the main driver issue would be the extreme vibrations (caused by the road surface bumps) causing the driver not be able to see where he is going. Also if the straightline speeds are going over 400kph then that surely puts some pretty heft requirements for the active suspension. Maybe it might be better to laserscan the track and program the road surface into the active suspension electronics so that it simply predicts the road surface that the tire is about to go over instead of just trying to react to the surface changes.

Most of this of course goes out of the window if we want to do a race.

PlatinumZealot

Since the car would be so fast you could get away with adding some weight. You can put in suspended seats and actively damped headrests and gforce suit to absorb the bumps and gforces.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏