Empty grandstands at Hockenheim?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
basti313

Re: Empty grandstands at Hockenheim?

GitanesBlondes wrote:
basti313 wrote: Well, but there are also no grandstands. I would have expected at least some of the 100000-200000 people standing in the grass round the Nurburgring to go to the Hockenheimring (not far away) and stand also there. But they aren't and there is no regional/seasonal or whatever reason for that.
Limited space at Hockenheim, factoring in both grandstands and standing room only, tickets were only available for around 100,000 or so. You were never going to get a 125,000 turnout because the facilities simply could not support it.
Well, 1970 they had 125000 at Hockenheim. So I doubt that it was lacking of capacity in the 70s.
At the moment you can not get any extra tickets for standing.

I do not think that the redesign was so utterly wrong. I quite like the track layout, except turn 6 everything is quite ok. Especially the hairpin is great. For me the big problem is, that the have build these big grandstands at turn 6,7 and 8 and topped up the grandstands at the south corner...you can't see any action there and they knew that. Nice grandstands at the hairpin would be great, but you can not even stand there with you 250Euro ticket and see what is happening...
Don`t russel the hamster!

GitanesBlondes

Re: Empty grandstands at Hockenheim?

basti313 wrote:
GitanesBlondes wrote:
basti313 wrote: Well, but there are also no grandstands. I would have expected at least some of the 100000-200000 people standing in the grass round the Nurburgring to go to the Hockenheimring (not far away) and stand also there. But they aren't and there is no regional/seasonal or whatever reason for that.
Limited space at Hockenheim, factoring in both grandstands and standing room only, tickets were only available for around 100,000 or so. You were never going to get a 125,000 turnout because the facilities simply could not support it.
Well, 1970 they had 125000 at Hockenheim. So I doubt that it was lacking of capacity in the 70s.
At the moment you can not get any extra tickets for standing.

I do not think that the redesign was so utterly wrong. I quite like the track layout, except turn 6 everything is quite ok. Especially the hairpin is great. For me the big problem is, that the have build these big grandstands at turn 6,7 and 8 and topped up the grandstands at the south corner...you can't see any action there and they knew that. Nice grandstands at the hairpin would be great, but you can not even stand there with you 250Euro ticket and see what is happening...
I'm dubious of claimed attendance figures anyhow, as plenty of places like to pad the number...sort of like IMS claiming to have 300,000 at the 500, when people who were there were claiming it was more like 210,000 to 230,000. Fact is, for PR reasons most tracks will claim higher numbers than are actually there for any race.

I'm of the opinion there should always be a place for high speed circuits, but since F1 has become more interested in restricting engine usage and development, those circuits have little place left on the calendar.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet