Petitioning The Strategy Group in Formula 1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Harsha
Harsha

Petitioning The Strategy Group in Formula 1

The FIA alone cannot force through the overhaul we believe is required to secure a better future for Grand Prix racing.

In the April issue of Motor Sport magazine, we printed our 11-point ‘manifesto for change’ (below). As Ferrari’s Luca di Montezemolo calls for a forum of F1 leaders to begin talks about the future direction of the sport, we’re asking you to support our ideas.

We’ve already sent a copy of the April issue direct to Luca – but now we need your help.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/a- ... evolution/

interested people please sign

FrukostScones

Re: Petitioning The Strategy Group in Formula 1

don't make Luca even more nutty...

some good thoughts, but also some very strange proposals...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

wesley123
wesley123

Whichever of the above models is adopted, it should be hand-in-hand with a budget cap that equates to the income share (so $100 million using the above example). This should glide downwards by a set amount each year, creating greater profits for the teams in the long term, making them more recession-proof in the future and less reliant upon big money deals and big business.
So what are those F1 teams going to do with that money that cannot be spent? Larger salaries for their employees? Doubt it. Which in turn means that all this extra money that cannot be spent flows to the pockets of the teams owners. I'm sure they wont see it as a problem though.

Also, There is a point where you cannot lower the budget anymore, plus there is this thing called "inflation", making things more expensive over time.

Our economy works on spending money, it goes round and round, you earn the money you spend. And this idea is a $1.1 billion money pit(taking the numbers said), or it turns into a $1.1 billion retirement fund.
We’d recommend further study before regulating on this – looking first at the feasibility of generating all downforce from the underbody of the car and what sort of racing that might produce.
Two words; Wing cars.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the idea of using the community to propose something new, but none of this actually seems to be thought out, and the "generating all downforce from the underbody" takes the grand prize on it. I did not sign it.

EDIT: I said that the "generating all downforce from the underbody" takes the grand prize on it. Well, I find the "No PR" idea just as badly thought out. Or the "no driver-pits communication", also not very well thought out. And the "4 car rookie team" is just as bad, I cannot think of a single reason why that would be a good idea or should be done.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

SectorOne

I´m on the opposite side of Wesley, signed because of exactly that.
"looking first at the feasibility of generating all downforce from the underbody of the car and what sort of racing that might produce. "
Bang on, put a damn fan under the floor(as was first talked about for the 2014 regulations) and get rid of the wings.
That way you don´t have to worry about bad wake since having bad wake is a good thing because there´s less air for the fan on the car behind to suck out from under the floor.

The car will still generate drag but not following cars closely in corners will be a thing of the past.

And just for kicks, you´d absolutely wreck the Monaco lap record since you could in theory produce all the downforce at standstill.
It would also rid the sport of tyres that limit those capable of driving faster, harder and longer than their rivals.
Oh yes. As it should be.
Last edited by SectorOne on 21 Jul 2014, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

NTS
NTS

wesley123 wrote:the "generating all downforce from the underbody" takes the grand prize on it
Also about the engines: "But we would remove many of the prescriptive limitations – probably including the V6 format – and freezes. While this would potentially increase the expense, the cost cap would still have to be respected, thereby putting greater emphasis on technical ingenuity outside that made possible only by unlimited research budgets."

That makes no sense at all since most teams are not actually engine manufacturers.

Kiril Varbanov

Strange, these days everybody seems to sure to know what's best for the sport... I don't see a big difference with the rest of the petitions that live online. Those that FIA and Mr. E couldn't care less about.

At the same time, the latter says that Russia GP is under no danger, despite the MH17. "We have a contract we will respect it".

Making such lengthy lists means that you force everybody to agree on every count. Which can't be the case. Which is why this initiative isn't going to change F1. Small, very well thought of, changes are needed, via certified body. I like some of the ideas, but others not - I can't sign.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Deregulate, as much as you can.

bhall II
bhall II

For me, it started to unravel here:
Whichever of the above [revenue disbursement] models is adopted, it should be hand-in-hand with a budget cap...
Beyond any reasonable doubt, and without exception, a budget cap that attempts to govern the expenditures of multinational competitors who collect sponsorship dollars from, and are supplied by, multinational corporations cannot ever work without supernatural intervention.

And then it got awkward:
No pits-to-driver communication – not even by pit board.
Why?!?! lol

If anyone feels like drawing one up, I will sign a petition urging Montezemelo, et al., to ignore this petition. :D

xpensive
xpensive

The current engine formula has to go in its entirety, hybrids belong in endurance racing, not in F1.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The stuff in the "Human" bit at the bottom is just ridiculous. No communication between pit and driver? How idiotic and obviously dreamt up by those who want to go back to the 1930s. I'm amazed they didn't ask for seat belts to be outlawed too!

I will not be signing that petition.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

The only thing that makes any real sense is the driver penalties example they gave, but really that is more a problem with circuit design allowing for such liberties to be taken

wesley123
wesley123

SectorOne wrote: Bang on, put a damn fan under the floor(as was first talked about for the 2014 regulations) and get rid of the wings.
1. This fan weights quite a lot
2. Packaging wise it isn't very easy to do. It isn't like that corvette fancar where everything can be housed in the driver seat or the chaparral(hope i spelled it right) where it could easily fit. No, current F1 cars are very tightly packaged.
3. The fan has to deal with dirt and debris. Also the fan will output said dirt and debris.
4. What happens when the fan stops working? All downforce is gone. And this is exactly why limits are put on underbody downforce. When it goes wrong, all it's downforce is gone. While they are an efficient source for downforce, they aren't a very stable source of downforce.

Whatever good underbody downforce does, it is all countered by a single problem; stability of the downforce. Not to mention blowover events. LMP's have chamfered edges to reduce floor lift under sudden yaw. Other solutions include raised front sections of the floor.

I wouldn't want to be the driver who's fan stops working through Eau Rouge. The resulting crash would look cool on TV though!
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

bhall II
bhall II

wesley123 wrote:The resulting crash would look cool on TV though!
:lol:

dans79

The sport doesn't need cost cutting, what it needs to do is cut the dead weight, and the idiocracy. F1 has given big business no reason to come back to the sport, and I think that's the number one issue.
197 104 103 7

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

xpensive wrote:The current engine formula has to go in its entirety, hybrids belong in endurance racing, not in F1.
I love the energy recovery aspect :shock:

I think the engines this year are great, just a pity that there is such a big gulf between them