Petitioning The Strategy Group in Formula 1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive

Re: Petitioning The Strategy Group in Formula 1

JimClarkFan wrote:
xpensive wrote:The current engine formula has to go in its entirety, hybrids belong in endurance racing, not in F1.
I love the energy recovery aspect :shock:

I think the engines this year are great, just a pity that there is such a big gulf between them
While I think the whole thing is a terrible misconception, again, in endurance racing by all means, but not in F1
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Moxie

This petition has a lot of really stupid ideas, I expect the FIA will implement them next week.

Every team gets to break even??? Hell no!!! There should absolutely be a cost associated with losing. Poorly managed teams should suffer the consequences, and be replaced by new teams. That being said, the revenue gap between winning teams and last place teams does need to be reduced significantly.

If the 100 year contract...??? Revenue sharing??? Please!!! The answer is so damn straight forward, I cannot believe people don't see it. Revenue streams for F1 teams are prize money and sponsorship money, and the bottom teams don't get enough of either. Let the rear teams win some f-ing money, and let their cars be seen on TV for a few minutes of each race so that their sponsors get some exposure. Limit the prize money for the top teams so that the first place to last place ratio is 3:1 rather than 10:1

Budget cap??? How do the intend to police this??? Budgets can be limited by risk and reward. Reward = prize money + sponsorship money. In the short term teams with big sponsorship deals will retain a significant advantage over the smaller teams. The reduced reward from the prize money, however, will still force front teams to limit their risk (reduce spending). In the long term as the 3:1 prize ratio allows rearward teams to become more competitive, the sponsors will recognize that the gap between return on investment for advertising on the front teams vs. the rear teams will also be reduced. (Small teams will get some sponsorship money)

SectorOne

wesley123 wrote:
SectorOne wrote: Bang on, put a damn fan under the floor(as was first talked about for the 2014 regulations) and get rid of the wings.
1. This fan weights quite a lot
2. Packaging wise it isn't very easy to do. It isn't like that corvette fancar where everything can be housed in the driver seat or the chaparral(hope i spelled it right) where it could easily fit. No, current F1 cars are very tightly packaged.
3. The fan has to deal with dirt and debris. Also the fan will output said dirt and debris.
4. What happens when the fan stops working? All downforce is gone. And this is exactly why limits are put on underbody downforce. When it goes wrong, all it's downforce is gone. While they are an efficient source for downforce, they aren't a very stable source of downforce.
1-3 Deal with it F1 teams, i´m sure engineering solutions is why you have been hired.
If it weighs a lot and packaging not easy, that´s great, perfect development area for the teams.

Sticking a fan on a current car is obviously not going to be easy. But who said you had to use a current car as a base?

4. When a suspension fails, mechanical grip is gone (and aero pretty much).
You go straight ahead and have a shunt like no other. (Like Hamilton in Nurburgring S-curve)
When a tire front tire explodes in a high speed corner you get similar results.

Bring back the big barndoors they put on the car to help prevent cars tipping if the fan should stop mid corner.

Eau Rouge is a valid point though.
Perhaps you could make a floor that generates a healthy dose of downforce when the fans isn´t working.
I´m sure the engineers in F1 could come up with some innovative solutions if they put their mind to it.

You could also perhaps gradually move towards a full on fan car. You start one year by putting in a small fan, producing 10-20 percent of the total downforce (and cut of exterior aero as you go). Then after some years you slowly increase the power of the fan as reliability increases.
V8´s were pretty bullet proof at the end of their life, V6´s will probably be even more reliable.
Having a fan with way less moving parts can be even more reliable.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SectorOne

I never watched Can-Am but according to Wiki the Chaparral 2J was atleast 2 seconds faster then the next car but was plagued with mechanical problems.

Funnily enough Mclaren was there claiming it would ruin the sport and claiming it was a moveable aerodynamic device.
Driver´s complained about rocks but then again they never really had helmets on this level before and increasing the safety and thickness of current visors would be fairly easy. The rest of the driver is pretty shielded from rocks.

Also maybe some sort of titanium-grill can be used to pick up most of the rocks thrown from the fan.

Edit: Or just point the fan straight up in the air. Why does it have to exit at the back?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"