Mexico GP 2015 Confirmed

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Racer X

Re: Mexico GP 2015 Confirmed

The finally in Mexico seems impractical to me. i mean jumping from Abu Dhabi to Austin to Brazil to Mexico....
or any other combination of that makes no sense.

To me Mexico makes sense only before or after Austin but not as the Finally..... I just cant see Brazil not being the last race... i guess im just against it because of tradition i like Brazil being the last race....
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

iotar__

Racer X wrote:http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-258574.html
Mexico could close next year's world championship with a 'double points' finale. That is the claim of FIA vice president Jose Abed, who represents Mexico on the governing body's World Motor Sport Council.
It was confirmed last week that, after a more than two decade absence, the sport is returning in 2015 to the iconic Mexico City layout, which is being renovated.
It will disappoint some, however, that Abed confirmed to Grupo Formula radio that the exhilarating Peraltada corner will be axed from the new F1 layout. "Firstly, the old banked curve is too dangerous," he explained, "and the second reason is that we need to accommodate another 40,000 spectators." But the 2015 Mexican grand prix could be spectacular for another reason, Abed revealed. "Perhaps we will see the season finale in Mexico -- with double points," he said.
So they made changes for money and safety, welcome to the real world. Another example: Hockenheim was modified in the wrong direction because they couldn't cut some trees (recent Tilke interview).

If you hear that Newey's earning 10 million and rumoured Hamilton's contract is for 90 million where do you think this money is coming from? FRIC ban or hated new tracks like Azerbaijan, double points and modifications to Mexico that give 40000 seats and $ at the expense of a classic layout? Pretending it's not the case is almost as detached from reality as claiming that technical directives aren't the source of law in F1.

hairy_scotsman

Mexican GP moving along. Charlie Whiting has made his second walk-through at Circuito Hermanos Rodriguez.

Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

hairy_scotsman

Mexico City press tour pics...

Here's the Foro Sol, the old baseball stadium where the old track will divert to avoid using the entire Peraltada.

Pit building under construction, shot from the paddock side.

hairy_scotsman

“@TomClarksonF1: Sims predict 328kph top speed along pit straight, 2nd fastest ave.. of year, after Monza #MexicanGP”

Manoah2u

Great news for mexico. Very cool to have a new Mexican GP. I would expect the drivers to get some good security though, like they need to have in Brazil. I don't recall how 'safe' Mexico was in the 80's, but I know that nowadays it's 50/50 safe with drug lords housing seriously violent runs.

anyway, looking at this grandstand shot:

am i seeing this right? will the track run through the centre of the grandstands here? or is it going to make a 180 degree u-turn?

looks awesome if they'd run straight through here!

* edit:

yes they will!

would be awesome to see them run a higher speed through there, though, as in a long straight.

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Moose

Manoah2u wrote:would be awesome to see them run a higher speed through there, though, as in a long straight.
Having visited a few GPs, I can honestly say, no, no it really would not.

You absolutely want grand stands built around complexes and tight turns. With a straight, all a spectator gets is a stiff neck from snapping back and forth all the time. With a complex, you get to see battles and overtakes, and you get to see cars for much longer.

hairy_scotsman

Yep. And I like what they've done with the new stadium section on the other end, and the esses are faster now, so that looks very exciting imho.

Manoah2u

Moose wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:would be awesome to see them run a higher speed through there, though, as in a long straight.
Having visited a few GPs, I can honestly say, no, no it really would not.

You absolutely want grand stands built around complexes and tight turns. With a straight, all a spectator gets is a stiff neck from snapping back and forth all the time. With a complex, you get to see battles and overtakes, and you get to see cars for much longer.
true that, didn't think about that though.

wonder if Mexico will have large enough flags to mimic those in these 'cgi shots', must be ten stories high flags :mrgreen: :lol:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"