Briatore to work on F1's popularity!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RagingBullx

Briatore to work on F1's popularity!

Couldn't quite believe it the man responsible for bringing the sport into utter disrepute through the Schumacher years and then in Singapore drafted in to make it appeal to a younger crowd, these are surely the last throes of a departing despot!

from Autosport:
Former Formula 1 team boss Flavio Briatore is to be involved in a new working group being set up by Bernie Ecclestone to look at ways of making the sport more popular.

Pressure has been growing on Ecclestone to try to arrest a decline in television audience and spectator numbers this season amid concerns F1 is not embracing a new generation of fans.

Ecclestone met with team principals at the Hungarian Grand Prix on Saturday morning and informed them that he plans to host a summit meeting over the next few weeks with a few outfits, plus Briatore, to consider ideas.

Briatore has not been involved in F1 since he had to step down at Renault in 2009 due to his part in fixing the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.

Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff, whose team will be one of those involved in the group, thought it important that only a few teams would be involved in the talks.

He also suggested that the media should be consulted too, to avoid the situation of earlier in the year when team proposals like double points received widespread criticism.

"A couple of guys will sit together [to work out what to do], because it's difficult to do when you invite everybody and come up with priorities and solutions," said Wolff.

"We'll probably get you guys involved to avoid the situation last time when you found our ideas really s***! So that's the procedure."

He added: "Bernie expressed a wish to discuss with teams about how we can improve the show of Formula 1.

"It wasn't a negative meeting, we have seen some great racing and some packed race tracks, at Austria, Montreal and Silverstone.

"But then we have seen smaller audiences here and at Hockenheim - why is that? So we're going to come together and come up with ideas."

SHARING BLAME FOR NEGATIVITY

Red Bull boss Christian Horner caused a stir on Friday when he accused the media of being too negative about F1.

But McLaren racing director Eric Boullier believes that the teams have to take some of the blame for the downbeat assessment of F1 because of criticisms voiced earlier this year by leading figures.

"A lot of people in the paddock have been negative about the change and everything that F1 is trying to do," he said.

"Obviously if we give you material to write negative then you will write negative, so we have to share the blame all of us.

"But by spreading negativity around we distract people from being passionate and watching us, and actually we stop people who could be potentially interested to watch because we are negative.

"The negativeness is part of the problem as why we have an audience which is going down."

xpensive

Re: Briatore to work on F1's popularity!

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

the EDGE

You can't blame Bernie really, it's not as if he had a choice...

Anyone else he could ask would have have probably simply replied "that's easy Bernie... Retire"

autogyro

I seem to remember Max Mosley setting up a group years ago to find a more interesting and competitive formula.
His ideas were prevented from being used and F1 then became a formula for model aeroplane designers.
The sport can of course follow the ideas of Briatore if it thinks that getting closer to cheating might help but I don't think the public will be fooled.
With the French running the FIA and the Mafia making suggestions for change, F1 must now have a very limited future.

zeph

F1 is run by a bunch of old guys that haven't figured out the internet quite yet. Any attempt to revive the old TV business model is doomed to fail in the long run. For the life of me, I can't figure out why there is no official F1 livestream. I'd happily pay $5 per race or $100 for the season, with unlimited replays and all the data/telemetry etc. freely accessible all the time.

The next generation is not gonna watch F1 any other way, if at all.

As for Briatore, he has a pretty decent track record of reviving businesses in trouble, so I wouldn't discount his ability to do this beforehand. He is thoroughbred salesman.

iotar__

He's no better or worse than people currently in F1: Dennis, Montezemolo, Mateschitz. The whole idea just shows how tin-pot, random organisation Ecclestone's F1 is. They suddenly started counting audience, impacts of changes etc. with some knee-jerk, fake reactions (sound horns, sparks). As long as it was a cash cow none of it mattered, now it's changing, they want to sell it (major reason) and they're panicking slightly. At the same time they're killing the sport with abandoning any cost control - again with meaningless, "joke" (Todt) proposals. As if there was no correlation between competitive, interesting sporting spectacle and people's interest.

How can you treat it seriously with this: "Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff, whose team will be one of those involved in the group, thought it important that only a few teams would be involved in the talks. He also suggested that the media should be consulted too, to avoid the situation of earlier in the year when team proposals like double points received widespread criticism."
Only selected teams and media selling their lies as an F1 fix, I thought it was like that already :wink:. Wolff's logic - forget the audience let's "consult" the media. How about not making stupid changes for quick $$, like Abu Dhabi+d. points to begin with, you agreed to it didn't you?

MOWOG

with some knee-jerk, fake reactions
Emphasis on "jerk". :roll:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Moxie

zeph wrote:F1 is run by a bunch of old guys that haven't figured out the internet quite yet. Any attempt to revive the old TV business model is doomed to fail in the long run. For the life of me, I can't figure out why there is no official F1 livestream. I'd happily pay $5 per race or $100 for the season, with unlimited replays and all the data/telemetry etc. freely accessible all the time.

The next generation is not gonna watch F1 any other way, if at all.

As for Briatore, he has a pretty decent track record of reviving businesses in trouble, so I wouldn't discount his ability to do this beforehand. He is thoroughbred salesman.

It has been said before that F1 is a competition of project management. I agree with this, and I also think FOM and the FIA demonstrate a terrible failure of management. This is what happens when a boss surrounds himself with subordinates who afraid to do anything but agree. "Ideas" will be limited to only those thoughts that fall within the rigid framework laid down by that inferior leader.

One thing F1 has failed to do over the years is research and development on its own product. Rather than hiring and following the recommendations of an economist, or game theorist to analyze the nature of competition between the F1 companies (teams), FOM seeks advice from within their own inbred (no sexual joke is intended here) boys club. Rather than study the fans they wish to see in the grandstands, through surveys and other metrics, they ask a disgraced cheater with a low regard for human life for his advice, because despite being banned from F1, he is still in the club.

Bernie and the boys simply don't understand that the failure of F1 is not with the cars, or the engineers, or even with the teams. It is with FOM itself.

GitanesBlondes

autogyro wrote:I seem to remember Max Mosley setting up a group years ago to find a more interesting and competitive formula.
His ideas were prevented from being used and F1 then became a formula for model aeroplane designers.
The sport can of course follow the ideas of Briatore if it thinks that getting closer to cheating might help but I don't think the public will be fooled.
With the French running the FIA and the Mafia making suggestions for change, F1 must now have a very limited future.
:lol: :lol:

Hey we got plenty of his dumb ideas put into action - 3 groove tires, 4 groove tires, bans on multiple engines to be used, econo-sh*tbox engines, his use of the phrase "bringing the sport into disrepute" to impose his fascist beliefs on sport...etc.

Yeah what a great guy he was. :roll:

He did more to ruin F1 than any individual in history.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

MOWOG

He did more to ruin F1 than any individual in history.
Oh, I dunno. Seems to me Jean Marie Balestre did a pretty good job of it. If you want to say that Balestre set the bar high but Mosely set it even higher, I would agree with that. :twisted:

Formula One, demonstrating consistently that the relationship between intellingence, money and ability is inverse - at best.

Look at all the looney toones who have held preeminent positions in the sport - Balestre, Mosley, Ecclestone, Briatore, DiMontezemulo, Todt, Kolles, Whiting - the list goes on and on and on. :cry:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

beelsebob

The drop in audience numbers is trivial to explain: You now have to pay to watch it in almost every single country. People are not willing to pay the amount being asked.

Hall_Green_Wolf

If Flavio Briatore wants to make F1 more popular he should stay as far away from the sport as possible.
Sometimes your the bat, sometimes your the ball.

Waywardism

beelsebob wrote:The drop in audience numbers is trivial to explain: You now have to pay to watch it in almost every single country. People are not willing to pay the amount being asked.
Indeed, I stream every race that's not live on the BBC, which is currently about half of them. My only other choice is to buy a Sky subscription with a sports package which is probably going to cost around £50 a month, I refuse to pay that much for TV so I much prefer to watch the low quality stream. However, like someone suggested, if there was an official HD stream and I could pay a reasonable amount for a race weekend (£5 or so) I'd sign up today.

Cold Fussion

I though Briatore had a life time ban from crashgate?

Kingshark

Thanks to Ericsson's crash today which brought out the safety car at the perfect time, in a race of what looked like a Rosberg walkover, turned out to be one of the best races in a long, long time.

Thank you Briatore. Bringing back Flavio has turned out to be an instant success.