Eccelstone says Standard Grid Restarts is to be scrapped

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ReaNGamer

Eccelstone says Standard Grid Restarts is to be scrapped

Bernie Eccelstone has said to the media that the rule for Standard Grid Restarts for next season will be scrapped.

http://www.inautonews.com/ecclestone-sa ... d-restarts

Jersey Tom

Re: Eccelstone says Standard Grid Restarts is to be scrapped

Good choice, so that the field doesn't get scrapped wrecking into T1 on every restart...
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

langwadt

Jersey Tom wrote:Good choice, so that the field doesn't get scrapped wrecking into T1 on every restart...
yeh, that was a really stupid idea, worn tires, worn clutch, engine and brakes overheating and half the cars starting on marbles. What were they thinking?

SectorOne

langwadt wrote:What were they thinking?
It was the absence of thinking that sparked this.
Some guy at Mclaren mentioned it and Charlie said "yea that´s a great idea" without using his brain.

Frankly i´m not sure what he does to be honest.
Seems to me his job is misinformation distributor for teams until they get a real answer from FIA.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

GitanesBlondes

The Spannerman is Ecclestone's right-hand man, in place to serve out thy master's bidding.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

iotar__

I don't think it's beyond Ecclestone to come up with standing starts and change his mind after some bad press, team pressure or panic over fresh audience numbers fears.
Of course it's rather convenient to speak against it after it was confirmed in the rules, costs nothing really. He's acting as if all the rules are not consulted with him.

nacho

Take the double points too please.

SectorOne

GitanesBlondes wrote:The Spannerman is Ecclestone's right-hand man, in place to serve out thy master's bidding.
But that makes no sense since "the spannerman" was the one making the claim in which Bernie now say will be scrapped.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

xxChrisxx

To be fair, standing grid restarts aren't stupid for large crashes. The only mental bit was having a safety car period, then a restart.

Big crash, red flag, reform up in race order, restart. Job jobbed.
It worked fine for decades before 93.

For those moaning about 'oh worn clutch, the worn brakes'. Well teams should design them to be more robust then, then you've got no bloody problem. Or take the reliability gamble and stop bitching.

I'm a firm believer that any rule-set is broadly fair, as it's the same for everyone. On the condition that it's decided and implemented with plenty of notice, then not F :twisted: G changed on a whim.

RobertPthe3rd

I really wanted to see standing restarts too. The tires, brakes, cooling problems didn't bother me. But now that I consider the marbles the whole non racing line side will be severly penalized. I wonder if Bernie was talking out his ass or if he actually is getting rid of SRS