why no love for............driver of your choice

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
gavingav1

why no love for............driver of your choice

Nelson piquet is my choice,he raced against lauda,prost ,senna,mansell amongst other great drivers,never really drove a dominant car but still claimed 3 wdc's but these days seems all but forgotten -i wonder why

Moxie

Re: why no love for............driver of your choice

I have no verification for this but I seem to remember stories about his insufferable personality.

Raleigh

He called Enzo Ferrari a senile old man who shouldn't be running a team anymore (or something to that effect), and made personal attacks on other drivers and their families.

Drivers without fans tend to be forgotten, successful or not.

PlatinumZealot

I keep seeing mentions of driver's like, Yuji Ide and Mika Salo...
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Just_a_fan

Piquet once described Mansell's wife as ugly (or something like that) whilst they were team mates. I guess it was a hamfisted attempt at mind games. It just came across as crass.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mertol

If you search youtube with "piquet" the top result is "--- Nelson Piquet says". Other drivers have crashes, overtakes tributes etc...

Kingshark

gavingav1 wrote:Nelson piquet is my choice,he raced against lauda,prost ,senna,mansell amongst other great drivers,never really drove a dominant car but still claimed 3 wdc's but these days seems all but forgotten -i wonder why
The Williams FW11B was in a class of its own in 1987, if not dominant. The original FW11 was also comfortably the best car of '86, but both Mansell and Piquet threw away the WDC that year.

All in all though, Piquet was often (not always) bit of a boring driver to watch; kind of like Rosberg today. The only difference being that he was anything but politically correct in his interviews.

gavingav1

yes-i watched the you tube vid that mertol suggested ,when asked who was better he or senna ,he replied "well i am still alive" ,kind of sums up his attitude in one comment ,i just found it very strange that a triple world champion was so forgotten as to be almost erased from f1 history but maybe its all his own fault