Belgian Grand Prix 2014 - where to stand

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GTpenguin

Belgian Grand Prix 2014 - where to stand

Hi,

I'm attending the Belgian Grand Prix this year, I've been to Silverstone about 8 times, but this will be my first trip to Spa. (I've wanted to go for about 15 years)

I only have general admission tickets and I'm looking for a good spot to view from. Can anyone who has been before give me recommendations?

Many thanks,

Dan

beelsebob

Re: Belgian Grand Prix 2014 - where to stand

The spot you want is on the outside of Pouhon. There's a good sized bank that you can sit on, and you get a great view in both directions. The Kemmel strait is always packed and is pointless as the cars are travelling so fast.

Make sure you come in via Eau Rouge. While there's no reason to be there with general admission (it's all grandstands only) it's very impressive to stand at the bottom of the hill and see just how insanely steep it is up the side there.

Also, make sure you get in *very* early, seating at Pouhon will be taken up super early in the day.

Have fun!

krisfx

I sat at Rivage for the race, as you can see the cars coming down from Les Combes and hanging the anchors out, it's also next to a TV. I watched quali from the Kemmel straight and as previously stated, it's not that great to watch from.

I didn't rate Pouhon either, as it was miles away from the circuit and quite steep so we couldn't get out the camping chairs. Also, ALWAYS check out Eau Rouge, haha. I was lucky enough to watch from the inside of the circuit in near the hotel for FP1 and the cars look awesome going up there!

knabbel

I agree with both above me! Rivage and Pouhon are great and have a good TV screen. Kemmel straight is great for free practice. But that was with the old engines a lot more impressive. The downshifting from 7th to third for les combes gave goosebumps.

ackzsel

I sat on the outside of Pouhon too and it was great! It was 2010 and conditions were rainy. Lots of spins from the lower classes on the tricky outside kerbs. Not much errors from the Formula 1 drivers, though. Only Trully spun in the closing stages of the race if I recall correctly.

On race day be sure to be as early as possible, though! All the good spots WILL be taken. My dad and I arrived at 8 in the morning and were just able to squeeze in. Yes, thats a six hour wait in the rain but totally worth it!