Greece to host Mediterranean Grand Prix?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mikeerfol

Greece to host Mediterranean Grand Prix?

https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status ... 5858186240 Another street race? Although I believe it's too early to talk about a GP happening here...

FW17

Re: Greece to host Mediterranean Grand Prix?

Will that be the European GP?

astracrazy

no it will be the Mediterranean GP - i thought Azerbaijan was getting the European gp?

can't see it happening though. I can't see how they can justify spending so much atm considering the hole greece is in financially

Godius

sponsored by northwestern european taxpayers

Shrieker

Godius wrote:sponsored by northwestern european taxpayers
lol
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Ozan

I LOL'd hard.
For a country that survives with EU money, it will be hard to host a sports event, apart from a Formula 1 race.
FIA first needs to think about bringing back Istanbul.

andartop

Cannot see this happening but wouldn't be the first time, a similar story comes up in the news every couple of years since the 80's...

It would make perfect sense to have a Formula 1 spec racetrack in Greece for testing due to some of the best weather in Europe, but to host a race in the current financial climate would have to be privately funded.

For all the smart comments about Greece's financial troubles I recommend some reading:

http://www.socsci.uci.edu/~sskaperd/Ska ... WP1011.pdf

http://www.theguardian.com/business/eco ... ece-crisis
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

iHpled

Enough rich people in greece, believe it or not so the money is no problem. Thereby we greeks are corrupt, perfect for bernie :)

ScottB

Bernie says something stupid to deflect attention from his court cases...

DisaterX

Won't happen. Greece is already in enough financial trouble as it is with the Euro. Hosting a Grand Prix won't exactly help their economy.
And suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension. Ayrton Senna

Gaz.

Given that tourism makes up so much of their GDP, it probably isn't that bad an idea. It may be an incredibly unpopular concept amongst the Greek public though and it isn't like there's much chance of the track getting used other than other international events such as F1, WEC, MotoGP and WSB although WEC doesn't enjoy the enormous ticket sales of the other three events, even if it does beat having an empty & disused track gathering dust.
Forza Jules

SunsAnvil

I worked with a Greek Business Unit of my former company and have a great deal of time for the Greeks despite their weaknesses (corruption, discussing things over and over without solutions, over burdensome bureaucracy leading back to corner cutting and corruption)......... It was so much fun!

But Greece deserves F1 as much as many other recent additions and, as was already said, their country is highly dependant on tourism so an F1 event would work well for them.

Greeks do like speed / noise and F1 would be probably be welcomed there however I can't see a street race. There are plenty of exciting locations outside Athens that would provide a fantastic backdrop to an event of this type.

And Bernie would fit right in for sure!

astracrazy

Gaz. wrote:Given that tourism makes up so much of their GDP, it probably isn't that bad an idea. It may be an incredibly unpopular concept amongst the Greek public though and it isn't like there's much chance of the track getting used other than other international events such as F1, WEC, MotoGP and WSB although WEC doesn't enjoy the enormous ticket sales of the other three events, even if it does beat having an empty & disused track gathering dust.
But you need to look at what tourists go for. It is mainly for sun, sea, sand and historic architecture across many small islands. I'd imagine only a small majority goes to athens.

Gaz.

astracrazy wrote:
Gaz. wrote:Given that tourism makes up so much of their GDP, it probably isn't that bad an idea. It may be an incredibly unpopular concept amongst the Greek public though and it isn't like there's much chance of the track getting used other than other international events such as F1, WEC, MotoGP and WSB although WEC doesn't enjoy the enormous ticket sales of the other three events, even if it does beat having an empty & disused track gathering dust.
But you need to look at what tourists go for. It is mainly for sun, sea, sand and historic architecture across many small islands. I'd imagine only a small majority goes to athens.
Going by 2010 figures, Attica gets the second highest number of tourists, and even the Eurovision song contest boosted visitor numbers to Athens.
Forza Jules

FW17

Idea may be dumb but the layout is awsome