Alternative Points System

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DisaterX

Alternative Points System

Here I have devised a new points system which goes as follows:
1st - 22
2nd - 21
3rd - 20
4th - 19
-
-
-
-
-
-
22nd - 1

The rules include:
1 extra point for fastest lap
No points allowed if DNS
No points allowed if DSQ

The top table is the current standings under the current points system in full:
1. Nico Rosberg - 220
2. Lewis Hamilton - 191
3. Daniel Ricciardo - 156
4. Fernando Alonso - 121
5. Valtteri Bottas - 110
6. Sebastian Vettel - 98
7. Nico Hulkenberg - 70
8. Jenson Button - 68
9. Felipe Massa - 40
10. Kimi Raikkonen - 39
11. Kevin Magnussen - 37
12. Sergio Perez - 33
13. Jean-Eric Vergne - 11
14. Romain Grosjean - 8
15. Daniil Kvyat - 8
16. Jules Bianchi - 2
17. Adrian Sutil - 0
18. Marcus Ericsson - 0
19. Pastor Maldonado - 0
20. Esteban Gutierrez - 0
21. Max Chilton - 0
22. Kamui Kobayashi - 0
23. Andre Lotterer - 0

And here is my own alternative points system in full:
1. Nico Rosberg - 243
2. Fernando Alonso - 215
3. Lewis Hamilton - 209
4. Daniel Ricciardo - 203
5. Valtteri Bottas - 202
6. Nico Hulkenberg - 180
7. Jenson Button - 179
8. Sebastian Vettel - 176
9. Kimi Raikkonen - 158
10. Kevin Magnussen - 156
11. Sergio Perez - 137
12. Felipe Massa - 131
13. Daniil Kvyat - 113
14. Jean-Eric Vergne - 106
15. Romain Grosjean - 98
16. Adrian Sutil - 85
17. Jules Bianchi - 83
18. Esteban Gutierrez - 82
19. Max Chilton - 80
20. Pastor Maldonado - 78
21. Kamui Kobayashi - 69
22. Marcus Ericsson - 60
23. Andre Lotterer - 2

Feel free to create your own points system on this thread and I'll be sure to keep my one up to date. :D
And suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension. Ayrton Senna

langwadt

Re: Alternative Points System

terrible idea, there would be no incentive to fight for a win if you were in second place, why risk anything to try and gain a single point

DisaterX

langwadt wrote:terrible idea, there would be no incentive to fight for a win if you were in second place, why risk anything to try and gain a single point
I didn't say I wanted it implemented :?
And suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension. Ayrton Senna

SilverArrow10

isn't this one the Nascar points system or something similar. You can use a calculator on F1 fanatic and using the points systems used in the US Alonso is in second due to being more consistent. Its interesting but I like that fact that a win is worth so much in the current f1 points.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Moxie

The structure I propose is a simple logarithmic curve based upon 100 pts. for winning and 0 pts. for last place.

Place- Points
1 -100 5 -62 9 - 37 13 - 20 17 - 9 21 - 3
2 - 89 6 - 55 10 - 32 14 - 17 18 - 7 22 - 2
3 - 79 7 - 49 11 - 28 15 - 15 19 - 5 23 - 1
4 - 70 8 - 44 12 - 24 16 - 11 20 - 4 24 - 0

The reason behind the use of the exponential curve is to provide incentive to advance. Especially at the top of the curve, each position awards an increasing number of points.

As I have stated in other topics, I believe that the inequitable distribution of prize money is among the biggest problems of contemporary F1. In 2013, the last place finisher (Caterham), actually took home more prize money than did the second to last team (Marussia). (This was due to the deferral of prize money as a way of coercing teams into staying in F1.) The first step in my Bernie Eccelstone for a day plan, would be to award points all the way down the field, so that the competition at the rear of the field is crystal clear for everyone, especially fans to watch and understand.

Of course the other part of this, as I have discussed in other topics would be to distribute the WCC prize money on a linear scale from first to last place so that the first place/last place ratio is 3:1
Last edited by Moxie on 28 Aug 2014, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

Waywardism

My points system gives Sterling Moss 25 points for every race so he can be a world champion. Yay!

RZS10

Waywardism wrote:My points system gives Sterling Moss 25 points for every race so he can be a world champion. Yay!
let's go with that one ... and one extra point for each age spot on top of his head, he'd be WDC in no time :mrgreen:

Töm87

jagunx51

DisaterX wrote:Here I have devised a new points system which goes as follows:
1st - 22
2nd - 21
3rd - 20
4th - 19
-

-
22nd - 1

Feel free to create your own points system on this thread and I'll be sure to keep my one up to date. :D
Agree ...basically, every position deserve some points..... it means who ever finished in front of Lewis/Alonso/Vettel/Nico should get some points .....just like yesterday, Alonso - DNF, Esteban Gutiérrez - 22, by current scoring system, EG get 0 .... this isnt fair, where ever they finished, drivers deserve some points, so everyone will fight till the end, for every single point possible
............!!!!

auaq

With the current point system, how long and how many points do Mercedes need to lock their constructor's title? I'm thinking that at or after the US GP Mercedes should win the constructors championship title.

Pingguest

I would like to see a 9-6-4-3-2-1 point system with only the best 70% results counting. That stimulate drivers to take risks.

Phil

I don't necessarely disagree with the current points or how they reward a win proportionally higher than coming in 2nd place - but I don't like the fact that DNFs are so damn expensive. Perhaps it is good way to force teams to built higher quality cars or to not "take unnecessary" risks that might lead to a collision, but part of that also is why I found some of the older races exciting. You never quite knew who would crash or who's car wouldn't make it to the end. Less expensive DNFs = drivers might take more risk to try something or gain possitions.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Moxie

Phil wrote:I don't necessarely disagree with the current points or how they reward a win proportionally higher than coming in 2nd place - but I don't like the fact that DNFs are so damn expensive. Perhaps it is good way to force teams to built higher quality cars or to not "take unnecessary" risks that might lead to a collision, but part of that also is why I found some of the older races exciting. You never quite knew who would crash or who's car wouldn't make it to the end. Less expensive DNFs = drivers might take more risk to try something or gain possitions.

Please elaborate what you mean by "less expensive?"

SectorOne

Moxie wrote:
Phil wrote:I don't necessarely disagree with the current points or how they reward a win proportionally higher than coming in 2nd place - but I don't like the fact that DNFs are so damn expensive. Perhaps it is good way to force teams to built higher quality cars or to not "take unnecessary" risks that might lead to a collision, but part of that also is why I found some of the older races exciting. You never quite knew who would crash or who's car wouldn't make it to the end. Less expensive DNFs = drivers might take more risk to try something or gain possitions.

Hamilton is 2nd in a "normal" championship yet for some reason Alonso is head in the new system.
Now i can understand people jumping each other but i would expect Ricciardo to top both systems outside the merc drivers.

Quite obviously the "new" system penalizes DNF´s more then the current system.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Moxie

SectorOne wrote:
Moxie wrote:

Hamilton is 2nd in a "normal" championship yet for some reason Alonso is head in the new system.
Now i can understand people jumping each other but i would expect Ricciardo to top both systems outside the merc drivers.

Quite obviously the "new" system penalizes DNF´s more then the current system.
You have me confused. Are you suggesting that a driver that fails to finish the race should earn more points than drivers that finished the race? Keep in mind that in Australia there were three drivers that finished but were out of the points, and in Malaysia there were six.