no more help for the drivers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
skoop
skoop

no more help for the drivers

according to this article (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115776) the teams asked the fia to forbid help for the drivers from the engineers.
i think it's a great idea. what do you think?
according to AMuS the new interpretation of the rules will start at the singapure gp.

George77
George77

Re: no more help for the drivers

I think it is great!

alexx_88
alexx_88

I think this will be quite tricky to reinforce given the fact that it will be subject to interpretation by the stewards.

Andres125sx

I like the idea, the article is right, drivers are seen as puppets because that´s what they are. Drivers are only important for some very specific situations where his car performs similar to any other, if not, it doesn´t matter if he´s Alonso/Hamilton or Chilton/Ericson....

I´d go further tough, I´d remove more driver aids, but at the wheel. No clutch adjustments, no differential settings, or even brake bias.... That would make cars a lot more difficult to drive so drivers would be a lot more important

George77
George77

Andres125sx wrote:I like the idea, the article is right, drivers are seen as puppets because that´s what they are. Drivers are only important for some very specific situations where his car performs similar to any other, if not, it doesn´t matter if he´s Alonso/Hamilton or Chilton/Ericson....

I´d go further tough, I´d remove more driver aids, but at the wheel. No clutch adjustments, no differential settings, or even brake bias.... That would make cars a lot more difficult to drive so drivers would be a lot more important
I do not agree with the second part...every driver has his own driving style so he needs to make adjustments...

langwadt
langwadt

George77 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:I like the idea, the article is right, drivers are seen as puppets because that´s what they are. Drivers are only important for some very specific situations where his car performs similar to any other, if not, it doesn´t matter if he´s Alonso/Hamilton or Chilton/Ericson....

I do not agree with the second part...every driver has his own driving style so he needs to make adjustments...
and without it is wouldn't be F1, it would be historic racing

Andres125sx

George77 wrote:

And he can do it on practice, that the purpose of FP1, 2 and 3

Andres125sx

langwadt wrote:and without it is wouldn't be F1, it would be historic racing
Then it´s already historic racing, since they´re not using EBD, double diffusers are banned too as electronic suspensions, ground effect is also banned when F1 should use it....

F1 has tons of restrictions to improve the racing and provide more importance to the driver

Websta

Andres125sx wrote:
langwadt wrote:and without it is wouldn't be F1, it would be historic racing
Then it´s already historic racing, since they´re not using EBD, double diffusers are banned too as electronic suspensions, ground effect is also banned when F1 should use it....

F1 has tons of restrictions to improve the racing and provide more importance to the driver
Ugh, the cars are already difficult enough to drive. Do you think driver aids like TC made the cars simple point and squirt arcade games? The good drivers take whatever machinery they have at their diposal to the limit to get the fastest lap times. Driver aids make the limit higher.

Moxie
Moxie

I look back on 30 odd years of watching F1, and if there was one factor that made an F1 race exciting, corner after corner, it was the manual transmission. Gone are the days of the missed shift. I remember watching my favorite driver under pressure, wondering if he can finish the race without making a mistake...wondering if the gearbox, always built to be as light as possible, will hold up to the imperfecions of the human actuated shift sequence. Niki Lauda won his third championship over Prost because of his knowledge and skill with the gearbox. The sequential shift is a wonderous thing. There is no doubt that it is a technological wonder that belongs in the most advanced cars in the world. But in terms of on track competition I believe that it has had negative effects.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

I think this is silly... another attempt at a crutch, just grasping at straws. No other race series I can think of needs this sort of thing.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

turbof1

The biggest issue will be how they'll be able to reinforce this. Trying to restrict some of the radio communication, but allowing the rest, leaves the door wide open for coded talk.

Basicilly the same standard scenario as the team order debacle. You are disallowing it, but by allowing any communication to the driver you are wrecking the intention. The idea translates to a note to the burglar saying he can't break in, but includes a PS telling that the key is under the flower vase.

The only way to enforce this to outright ban any and all radio comm. Teams will have to rely then on pit boards, giving info to the drivers once a lap. Exactly what motogp is doing.
#AeroFrodo

wesley123
wesley123

It's clear I'm missing something, but how exactly would this change anything?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

SiLo

They could simply stop any data being given to the driver about their team mate. That seems to be what the issue is mostly about.

But then I'm sure they would just provide the information on the screen on the wheel instead, so it's all pointless really.
Felipe Baby!

ian_s

SiLo wrote:They could simply stop any data being given to the driver about their team mate. That seems to be what the issue is mostly about.

But then I'm sure they would just provide the information on the screen on the wheel instead, so it's all pointless really.
i thought they werent allowed to send 'data' back to the car, just audio?