no more help for the drivers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Moxie

Re: no more help for the drivers

I envision the following rule workaround. On the LCD give the driver a thermometer graphic for tire temp and a pie graph for fuel. Simple interpretation is necessary at high speed. They don't need to tell him to do anything. As long as he knows his tires are too hot, he will decide what to do. As long as he sees his fuel consumption, he will know what to do.

bhall II

strad wrote:[...]

For many of those questions posed that you don't think has to do with driver coaching, thing like when to pit etc.. that can still be handled the old fashioned way... A Pit Board.
How oh how did Mario or Fangio, or Hill D., G., or P. ,,, and all those others get by??? :lol:
Pit boards were the best tools available to them at the time. The FIA's recent clarification is like asking the drivers of yore to forsake pit boards for smoke signals. It's absolutely absurd, but it's completely in line with the sport's current quest to dumb things down because its primary audience is no longer capable of critical thought. (To be fair, the same could also probably be said about the two main contenders for the Championship this year.)

There's a huge gulf between the possession of knowledge and the ability to apply that knowledge. Otherwise, anyone with decent hearing and a basic understanding of language could be a skilled F1 driver, because they'd only need timely instructions from an engineer on the pitwall to push any car to its maximum capability. In reality, we (should) know things don't work that way, just as we (should) know that the paramount goal of every racing team in a developmental series is, and has always been, to make winning as easy as possible for its drivers.

iotar__

Cold Fussion wrote:This is an entirely self created problem by FOM constant broadcasting such team radio messages. Given that FOM are entirely in control of almost all the races, the solution is as simple as it gets, don't broadcast messages that give a bad outside perception. If it is to be banned, it's completely un-policable.
That would make sense if image was the reason (or one of the reasons) but with one problem. What about messages close together: Kimi is faster than you, lift and coast turn 12, Kimi is faster than you? It would be too much of a hassle to edit it out, plus there would be questions about missing parts. So how many people will FIA need to listen to team radio and judge? I remember when Hamilton overtook safety car (2010?) they ignored it and gave penalty too late that didn't mean anything. The argument for a delay AFAIR was that they didn't have enough personnel to monitor every driver separately.

(Autosport) "It will be up to the stewards of course [about a penalty], but it is probable that it would be a sporting penalty rather than a monetary one," the FIA added.
"Probably", nice to see they thought this through in details. Let me guess, half a car's length advantage at the start or personnel on track - 5 s with a pitstop, radio message "your brakes are about to fail Checo change brake bias" - 10 s separate drive through.

strad

bhall II ;
The point remains that they should not be told HOW to drive faster.. It SHOULD be up to them to figure it out for themselves. They are capable, in theory, to see they are losing ground and figure how to gain it back,,, IF they are worth their 50 million dollars a year that is.. ALONE AND UNAIDED , remember
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

RZS10

iotar__ wrote:What about messages close together: Kimi is faster than you, lift and coast turn 12, Kimi is faster than you? It would be too much of a hassle to edit it out, plus there would be questions about missing parts.
They are currently broadcasting team radio that is sometimes a few laps old to spice things up and edit replays (or in other words: manipulate the world feed) by adding team members' reactions to totally different situations and you think someone might be concerned about incomplete messages that are cut?

I wonder who the viewers are who according to the FIA are complaining about remote-controlled drivers? Because no one in my circle of friends and acquaintances had any issue with those messages - did we have a poll here? Could wo have a poll here? ^^

strad

you a poll in the form of replies on this thread..
I vote for the rule 100%It would be fine for practice but not in the race. IMO
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

MOWOG

A rule that is ambiguous, as this one is, will inevitably be enforced arbitrarily and capriciously. We have already seen how a perfectly clear rule like 4 tires off the racing surface is only applied to lower teams and never against Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercades or McLaren.

By failing to enforce the "4 off" rule, the FIA has made it impossible to enforce this new regulation. I loathe rules that serve only to give lawyers something new to do. :evil:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

McMrocks

I don't think that the excessive help via team radio is such an urgent problem that it has to be fixed half-way through the season. To be honest i didn't consider it as a problem at all but thats a matter of opinion. When the FIA announced that they will not investigate every minor contact anymore i thought that they understood that less restrictions are the way to go. Team radio is part of the sport in 2014.

Now we have to live with that restrictions but i expect FIA's law enforcement to be more crippling than that of any 3rd world state.

Just my 2 cents

Just_a_fan

Just another rule change asked for by slow "top teams" in order to try to slow down the fastest team of the season.

Pointless and makes F1 look even more out of touch.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

basti313

Just_a_fan wrote:Just another rule change asked for by slow "top teams" in order to try to slow down the fastest team of the season.

Pointless and makes F1 look even more out of touch.
Why slow "top teams"? As far as I can read it from the team radio transcripts the Merc engine is incredibly difficult to set up. They are changing engine modes all the time and are allowing and disallowing the overtake button all the time. The only profit for Williams and McLaren would be that Merc can not forbid them anymore to use Overtake when Ham is near...
The Renault is much easier to set up, but has issues all the time and especially Vettel seems to know nothing about the car (e.g. tire team radios all the time, wrong engine mode...).
The Ferrari is so crucial on fuel, that even the drivers who know what they are doing will have problems with fuel if the pitcrew is not restricting the power.

I do not think any of the teams want this rule change. Will make the situation harder for everyone.
Don`t russel the hamster!

SectorOne

basti313 wrote:The only profit for Williams and McLaren would be that Merc can not forbid them anymore to use Overtake when Ham is near...
Where did you find this fact?

Looking at the transcript Massa was given the overtake button for three laps from lap 3 to 6 and got then told to not use it anymore. Seems rather normal as it´s not something you can use all the time.

Looking at the Merc, or Hamilton in particular he did not have full charge even on lap 4 so i can´t see how Massa can run around with the overtake button every single lap.

It should be said Massa wasn´t particularly slow either matching Rosberg´s times on lap 8.
With Hamilton behind him.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Just_a_fan

basti313 wrote:
I do not think any of the teams want this rule change. Will make the situation harder for everyone.
The teams asked for the change!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Aesto

MOWOG wrote:A rule that is ambiguous, as this one is, will inevitably be enforced arbitrarily and capriciously. We have already seen how a perfectly clear rule like 4 tires off the racing surface is only applied to lower teams and never against Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercades or McLaren.

By failing to enforce the "4 off" rule, the FIA has made it impossible to enforce this new regulation. I loathe rules that serve only to give lawyers something new to do. :evil:
In Austria, the FIA deleted one of Alonso's Q1 times, and more importantly, Hamilton's Q3 time.

basti313

SectorOne wrote:
basti313 wrote:The only profit for Williams and McLaren would be that Merc can not forbid them anymore to use Overtake when Ham is near...
Where did you find this fact?
The Motorsport magazine wrote about it. Also Alex Wurz, who is at Williams, was talking about the "overtake button problem" in ORF1 during the race.
SectorOne wrote:Looking at the Merc, or Hamilton in particular he did not have full charge even on lap 4 so i can´t see how Massa can run around with the overtake button every single lap.
Of course not. But the "Overtake on-off" for Massa was quite strange to me. We do not need to talk about the controversy, lets stick to that it has to be turned on and off. How can a Merc driver know when to use it?

Just_a_fan wrote:
basti313 wrote:
The teams asked for the change!
Did they? I do not see that, especially not how it turned out now.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Tim.Wright

basti313 wrote: Of course not. But the "Overtake on-off" for Massa was quite strange to me. We do not need to talk about the controversy, lets stick to that it has to be turned on and off. How can a Merc driver know when to use it?
I'm guessing that the overtake is using the electric motors in a non sustainable area of high current. It gives you a high torque but it heats up the motor coils.

The teams will likely come up with an indication on the dash which calculates if its ok to use or not based on the stator temperatures.
Not the engineer at Force India