no more help for the drivers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SectorOne

Re: no more help for the drivers

basti313 wrote:The Motorsport magazine wrote about it. Also Alex Wurz, who is at Williams, was talking about the "overtake button problem" in ORF1 during the race.
What did they wrote and what did he say specifically? Links?
basti313 wrote:Of course not. But the "Overtake on-off" for Massa was quite strange to me. We do not need to talk about the controversy, lets stick to that it has to be turned on and off. How can a Merc driver know when to use it?
Well it´s quite the statement being made if you ask me :)

I suppose when the car/systems allow for it. Only this time the driver needs to check his display to see when he´s allowed to do it.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

iotar__

So who likes it? Horner does, Wolff is sceptical (=doesn't), Ferrari neutral(?), the rest doesn't even know what to say that's how expected it was. I smell Ecclestone although they will probably say it was Whiting with some McLaren engineer.

turbof1

Are they allowed to give the driver any information on the pit board?
#AeroFrodo

Kingshark

I suppose so.

I just have a question, what is allowed and what is not allowed? There's a fine line between separating it.

For instance:
"OK, this is lap 18 Nico, box at the end of this lap."

Would that be allowed?

turbof1

Kingshark wrote:I suppose so.

I just have a question, what is allowed and what is not allowed? There's a fine line between separating it.

For instance:
"OK, this is lap 18 Nico, box at the end of this lap."

Would that be allowed?
Yes:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115824

I'm still concerned that teams can relatively easily bypass the system. Hidden coded language like specific phrasing is very much possible. For instance Mercedes could say "You need to pit at the end of this lap", which could mean for instance "use strat 2 before coming in", or "box at the end of this lap" which could mean "use strat 6". Though it also means the teams need to have a valid reason to contact the driver in the first place. It looks like one specific allowed reason is vulnerable for this kind of abuse:
Warning a driver about the traffic situation during qualifying and the race
There's pretty much always a traffic situation, thus pretty always a legal reason to contact a driver and give him a hidden message.
#AeroFrodo

McMrocks

turbof1 wrote:
Warning a driver about the traffic situation during qualifying and the race
There's pretty much always a traffic situation, thus pretty always a legal reason to contact a driver and give him a hidden message.
and it is pretty easy, too:

increase the gap to the car in front = tyres temperature is good, no need to drive fast and heat them further up
back off to the car in front of you = do a cool down lap for your tyres
keep pushing, there is a car behind you = you need to heat up your tyres

NTS
NTS

I'm curious whether the teams without a big lcd panel will now quickly fit one, since there is much more information to be shown now. Or maybe some teams get the HUD that BMW designed years ago. Or maybe some text to speech system that reads out things when you press a button.

HUD might be visible from the outside, new screen is too, but audio is going to be hard to spot for us.

thedutchguy

I think the clamp down on radio communications shows the state of blind panic F1 is in at the moment. Viewing numbers keep dropping, but instead of addressing the elephant in the room, they come up with gimmicks like double points races and a ban on communications. It also shows that there's no long term vision either at the FIA or at FOM.

Let's face the facts: From this year, F1 cars are the most complicated machines ever, with hybrid systems which can only run because of very advanced computer systems with lots of different (performance) variables. Moreover, the rules have been designed in such a way that cars are often very marginal on fuel at the end of the race.

So yes, in order to get the most out of these computers on wheels, teams assist the drivers in how to best drive the cars. If you don't want that, then cut all that advanced technology from the cars and allow for refueling. But noooooo... drivers will now have to flip through pages of info on the dashboard to see if the're OK on fuel consumption, tire pressures and temperatures, all the while driving at 300+ kph (if they're lucky to race for a team that opted for the new, bigger screen). I wonder how that sits with the FIA campaign for road safety?

Viewers don't tune out because of radio messages, dear people at FIA and FOM. They stop watching F1 because you put it on expensive subscription channels, because the cars sound like crap and because races are run at 5+ seconds below the cars ultimate pace, because fuel and tires need to be preserved. Fix that, before you introduce another unpolice-able rule.

dans79

thedutchguy wrote:I think the clamp down on radio communications shows the state of blind panic F1 is in at the moment. Viewing numbers keep dropping, but instead of addressing the elephant in the room, they come up with gimmicks like double points races and a ban on communications. It also shows that there's no long term vision either at the FIA or at FOM.
What to you expect, with a senile old goat running the whole shebang!
197 104 103 7

Duke

This is a complete joke.

dans79

some more details about what is and is not banned.

http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/09/15/f1s- ... t-allowed/

I still expect some backpedaling with regards to the parade & formation laps. All it will take is one serious start related accident, because someone stalls and the FIA will get crucified.
197 104 103 7

strad

Formula 1 chiefs are considering a team radio clampdown as part of a push to make the sport more challenging for drivers again, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

Following discussions at an F1 Strategy Group meeting at the Italian Grand Prix, it is understood a number of teams have asked the FIA to find a way of banning certain types of radio communications
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

RZS10

RZS10 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:To me it is very simple. You police by exclusion. Give the teams a list of what they SHALL NOT say to the drivers and that will simply things greatly.

Things such as...
[...]
Tyre conditions (not even for punctures!)
[...]
Informing the driver about a (possible) puncture HAS to be allowed, it is safety related ... but it could be easily circumvented by ordering him to come in for a pitstop
And it is allowed. 8)

What they have banned comes down to info on how to save fuel or tyres, settings of the PU, pre start instructions on how to prepare the car and sector times of other drivers (lap times still ok).

To me it reads like they almost want more technical issues to occur, because right now drivers are being told what to do when their overcomplicated PU has some electronic hiccups, so if the driver does not know which of the many many buttons to push or knobs to turn he's screwed :D

What is interesting that they reserved the right to punish anything that MIGHT be coded, which might end up in controversies.

Overall it is far from being as bad as expected ...

Gaz.

RZS10 wrote:
RZS10 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:To me it is very simple. You police by exclusion. Give the teams a list of what they SHALL NOT say to the drivers and that will simply things greatly.

Things such as...
[...]
Tyre conditions (not even for punctures!)
[...]
Informing the driver about a (possible) puncture HAS to be allowed, it is safety related ... but it could be easily circumvented by ordering him to come in for a pitstop
And it is allowed. 8)

What they have banned comes down to info on how to save fuel or tyres, settings of the PU, pre start instructions on how to prepare the car and sector times of other drivers (lap times still ok).

To me it reads like they almost want more technical issues to occur, because right now drivers are being told what to do when their overcomplicated PU has some electronic hiccups, so if the driver does not know which of the many many buttons to push or knobs to turn he's screwed :D

What is interesting that they reserved the right to punish anything that MIGHT be coded, which might end up in controversies.

Overall it is far from being as bad as expected ...
This for me was the tipping point:

"Checo, use shorter gears at all apexes, please. Use a lower gear at all apexes. Too slow on the throttle down to turn two as well, OK? Nico far more aggressive on the throttle down to turn two. Stop the car a bit earlier for the apex of turn one and get on the power."

Hungarian GP 2014, lap 8, said by engineer Gianpiero Lambiase to Sergio Perez. From here: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/09/15/g ... dio-rules/
Forza Jules

dans79

Gaz. wrote:
"Checo, use shorter gears at all apexes, please. Use a lower gear at all apexes. Too slow on the throttle down to turn two as well, OK? Nico far more aggressive on the throttle down to turn two. Stop the car a bit earlier for the apex of turn one and get on the power."

Hungarian GP 2014, lap 8, said by engineer Gianpiero Lambiase to Sergio Perez. From here: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/09/15/g ... dio-rules/
This is the stuff that needs to go away. All its doing, is helping the less talented drivers keep up with the more naturally skilled ones.
197 104 103 7