no more help for the drivers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
MOWOG

Re: no more help for the drivers

Seems as though the octogenarian twerp is the cause of all this nonsense. Why Jean Todt doesn't tell him to STFU and stop meddling is beyond me. I think it shows what a weak leader Todt is.

Ecclestone takes blame for radio clampdown

As day turned to night in the floodlit Singapore paddock, the big talking point was the FIA's radio clampdown. Actually, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone claimed the credit. "I was the one who started it off, yes," he told reporters on Thursday.

Earlier, in downtown Singapore, Mercedes duo Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg welcomed the move. "The drivers are all happy it's gone," said Ecclestone, referring to the end of all performance-related messages between the pitwall and the drivers. They drive the cars, they should know what's wrong and right."

The 83-year-old, who has been fiercely critical of the direction of today's F1, also suggested that more moves could be on the horizon, amid rumours all telemetry might be the next to be axed in the not-too-distant future. "We have a regulation in force, 'drivers must drive the car alone and unaided'. They have been well and truly aided and still are, even if we get rid of this 'ship to shore', as I call it. There are still a lot of aids they shouldn't have," said Ecclestone.

However, as the drivers filled the Singapore paddock as the sun faded on Thursday ahead of F1's popular night race, it became clear that not every driver is in fact happy with the ban.

"Maybe he (Ecclestone) spoke to the drivers from the 80s, who do not know what it is like to drive these cars," said Felipe Massa. "The cars are very complicated (and) if the settings are wrong, you cannot do two laps before the car fails," he explained. "If it stays like this, there will be a big fight in the drivers' briefing."

Sergio Perez agreed: "It's not great they have made such a big change from one race to another."

World champion Sebastian Vettel said the drivers might struggle to manage the complicated charging of the cars' on-board energy recovery systems. "That's why we have so many people in the garage," said the Red Bull driver. "They're not here to have a nice time and have a couple of beers. They're here to do a job."
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

NTS
NTS

As predicted it looks like there might be a change to the radio message ban:
https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/stat ... 8052742145

strad

It figures guys like Massa and Perez would be against it.. It only figures that those who need the most guidance would not like the idea of having to do it on their skill, alone and unaided.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

deterherligt

So FIA has offically revised the radioban

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 16360.html

Messages not permitted (by radio or pit board)

- Driving lines on the circuit.
- Contact with kerbs.
- Car set up parameters for specific corners.
- Comparative or absolute sector time detail of another driver.
- Speeds in corners compared to another driver.
- Gear selection compared with another driver.
- Gear selection in general.
- Braking points.
- Rate of braking compared to another driver.
- Rate of braking or application of brakes in general.
- Car stability under braking.
- Throttle application compared to another driver.
- Throttle application in general.
- Use of DRS compared with another driver.
- Use of any overtake button.
- Driving technique in general.

Gettingonabit

Seems a reasonable compromise to me, but then what do I know.

Phil

I wish the FIA would think things through first, perhaps together with the teams, *before* they start changing rules only to back track later... Makes them look so amateurish... :roll:
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

FW17

Phil wrote: perhaps together with the teams
They tried that with cost cutting and did not work. This way is better.

autogyro

I find it all very amusing.
We never had radio in the era of proper F1 racing.
Today there is little need for a driver.
Bernie is only trying to return to proper F1 racing.
The nerds wont like it of course.

Dragonfly

I think it would be a better solution to allow live telemetry only of critical car data - overheating, punctures, etc.
Everything else goes to a data logger and can be accessed after the race for analysis.
This way the engineers will have nothing to talk about with their baby-drivers.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

iotar__

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/29254082 Bernie Ecclestone: I banned team radio advice for drivers

1. Told ya =D> 2. Not true, you liar, YOU banned most of radio transmissions whether they made sense and then FIA and teams had to clean your mess up. As usual, genius and mastermind of mid-season changes that make no sense based on dubious legal grounds - dead paragraph made suddenly alive.

What stopped him from changing it before the season if it was so important? Clearly FOM owners and Ecclestone are panicking, pushing three cars and even reconsidering double points. No one wants to buy it for the right price and it's the last chance to squeeze something out of it? Good.

Phil

WilliamsF1 wrote:
I more ment it in a way, if they had spoken to the teams beforehand, they might have gotten a feel for what messages are safety critical and then put rules forward that made sense, rather than deciding first and then being confronted with valid concerns and then having to backtrack.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

FW17

Phil wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:
I more ment it in a way, if they had spoken to the teams beforehand, they might have gotten a feel for what messages are safety critical and then put rules forward that made sense, rather than deciding first and then being confronted with valid concerns and then having to backtrack.

This is a ploy to bring the players to the table rather than starting a discussion with a clean piece of paper and beating around the bush. FIA needs to take the initiative as the regulator and guide direction of the discussion.

Moxie

Bernie Eccelstone is a salesman, a politician, and one of the worlds finest at the ability to manipulate people into giving him what he wants. Mind you I am not faulting him for these traits. They are important skills needed for the success of pretty much any major project one wants to accomplish in this world. The fault lies in what is missing, and that is his (ability/willingness?) to manage the business. Modern business is not like selling used parts in the 1940's; a smile, a bunch of bull$h!t, and a handshake. Firms that want to be successful employ a great deal of statistics, and quality control measures so that they will understand every aspect of the product, the plants, the supply chain, and last but not least the customers and the evconomic environment in which they operate. Bernie has failed on all of these measures. Instead, he thinks he can just polish it up; a rule change here, an exhaust trumpet there and it will be good as new.

BanMeToo

deterherligt wrote:So FIA has offically revised the radioban
This backpedaling is perfect imo. No driver coaching, but strategic & technical information is still safe.

langwadt

BanMeToo wrote:
deterherligt wrote:So FIA has offically revised the radioban
This backpedaling is perfect imo. No driver coaching, but strategic & technical information is still safe.
but is wide open for cheating and controversies, half the power unit talk is coded how do you separate that from
other coded messages?