no more help for the drivers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dans79

Re: no more help for the drivers

langwadt wrote:
BanMeToo wrote:
deterherligt wrote:So FIA has offically revised the radioban
This backpedaling is perfect imo. No driver coaching, but strategic & technical information is still safe.
but is wide open for cheating and controversies, half the power unit talk is coded how do you separate that from
other coded messages?
they left in the part, about anything that looks coded will get penalized. Not to mention, they have transcripts to go back and look at for a dozen races so far this year. Thus if new messages start popping up, people will have a hard time explaining them away.
197 104 103 7

marcush.
marcush.

Bottas on the clamp down:
http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 16358.html

I feel what he says is nonsense every bit of information rgarding the condition of the car is gathered by the car and it´s electronics -so basically the full set of information is already in the car -minus the analysis,of course.

To run a realtime system with online analysis in a car is not that big step to make in my view .Considering the Pit wall does calculate possibilities in advance anyways and just switches predefined strategies implies in most cases this could be performed by a computer situated within the car.
It´s a bit more sophisticated as an alarm ,a red light sure but this all just moves the engineers work more to saturday and Sunday before the race and feed all the logic
into the system.No ways it cannot be done you just have to perform it in a way so the driver can actually work with it.
So -if the car needs more brake balance to the rear the display automatically switches to the brake balance layer of the infosystem and highlights the recommended new setting .Driver just confirms and the new setup is loaded..I´m rather gobsmacked nobody did this before tbh.As it would give the driver a lot more freedom to concentrate on his racing instead of discussing which slot the yellow dial has to be turned....
Sure there is almost all the time a certain logic behind decisions and you can use your simulators (HIL) to verify if the strategies you have coded will lead to the desired results .
If all this will improve anything in Formula 1 ? sure .We will see even more spending away from the track to run a car on sunday for 2 hours max.

godlameroso

There's a very easy way around the rules. Helmet mounted HUD.
Saishū kōnā

langwadt
langwadt

godlameroso wrote:There's a very easy way around the rules. Helmet mounted HUD.
what would that gain compared to the display they have on the steering wheel?
FIA doesn't care if you use radio, pitboards or smoke signals, it is the content of the messages that matter

basti313
basti313

marcush. wrote: To run a realtime system with online analysis in a car is not that big step to make in my view.
This is also not allowed.
I do not know if they could automatically switch to the brake temperature "window" if the brakes reach a critical temperature, but running any logic suggesting settings to the driver is clearly not allowed.
Don`t russel the hamster!

turbof1

basti313 wrote:
marcush. wrote: To run a realtime system with online analysis in a car is not that big step to make in my view.
This is also not allowed.
I do not know if they could automatically switch to the brake temperature "window" if the brakes reach a critical temperature, but running any logic suggesting settings to the driver is clearly not allowed.
Yes and no.

Article 20.1 of F1's sporting regulations states: "The driver must drive the car alone and unaided."

This is a very broad ruling, a catch-all rule. By that same definition, power steering isn't allowed either. Infact, a very strict interpretation would hold that even information displayed on the wheel screen could be viewed as illegal.

HOWEVER, the FIA shows varying amounts of leniency, evident by the fact that before Singapore the teams were allowed to aid their drivers through comm messages. Of course that's now through the window, but the FIA hasn't specified anything yet about data shown on the wheel screen. The teams might only be allowed to show raw data, or have that data shewed and processed showed to the driver. It's an open question.

So you are right that if you apply 20.1 very strictly, it isn't allowed. But ultimately, it depends on what the FIA had for breakfast and who got kicked out on America's Next Top Model, concerning what's allowed or not on the display. And Marcush is right: the cars are already packed with sensors and such. Infact I wouldn't be surprised if the standard ECU is capable of bearing the realtime system. It's less a step and more a formality.
#AeroFrodo

Sevach
Sevach

So...

Ricciardo got coached, "keep away from exit curbs".

Bottas got informed not to worry about Raikkonen, "keep doing what you're doing, he doesn't have the straight line speed to overtake us".

strad

there was more coaching today than in an NFL game.
As usual the FIA refuse to enforce the rules they make up.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Ciro Pabón

Proof in 5 minutes that modern F1 drivers are sissies: they really need engineers guiding them by their little, tiny girlie hands. Grinding gears? Saying "it's not as good as my current car"?

No sh1t, Lewis:

At least Juan Manuel Fangio never complained about lack of seat belts.
Ciro