Is Alonso this fast or Räikkönen that slow?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive

Is Alonso this fast or Räikkönen that slow?

As the season is further progressing, Alonso is still almost a second faster than Kimi in final practice, what gives?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Pierce89

Re: Is Alonso this fast or Räikkönen that slow?

Well some would tell you this car doesn't "fit" Raikkonen, but then I would counter them by saying Alonso doesn't ever have that problem. I would say, overall, Alonso is just incredible much more so than Kim i being useless.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

SectorOne

Kimi fastest in Q1. What gives is Alonso has a much wider operating window therefore shines more in different types of cars whereas Kimi needs everything a certain way until he can fully express himself.

I´d say the absolute total gap between the two is no more then 2 tenths.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Pierce89

SectorOne wrote:Kimi fastest in Q1. What gives is Alonso has a much wider operating window therefore shines more in different types of cars whereas Kimi needs everything a certain way until he can fully express himself.

I´d say the absolute total gap between the two is no more then 2 tenths.
Yes but when Kimi finally gets everything perfect, his pace is equal to Alonso in an average car.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

SectorOne

Pierce89 wrote:his pace is equal to Alonso in an average car.
Which is bad? If you talk about ultimate pace they are incredibly close.
What makes Alonso so good is his operating window but that´s another discussion altogether.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

xpensive

But a second behind two thirds into the season, that is amazing, bloody hell, Massa was never that far back, or was he?

And about the need for having the car perfect to his liking, why would you pay a driver megabucks if he's not adaptive,
then you might as well go for Marcus Ericsson and receive the same amount? Not that he would do any better...

SectorOne

xpensive wrote:And about the need for having the car perfect to his liking, why would you pay a driver megabucks if he's not adaptive,
Good question, i assume it´s because he´s the only guy that have brought home a world championship in the last ten years for Ferrari.
They know for a fact that if they just give him what he needs, he will do the job.

Another thing is that he´s mentally very stable. Getting beaten by Alonso is something he´s taken on the chin but if you ask me if Alonso would take it on the chin if he was beaten that badly? I´m not too sure about that.

FW17

Why do you think LdM was fired?

xpensive

WilliamsF1 wrote:Why do you think LdM was fired?
Because he first paid an un-adaptive and un-communicative driver from a non-marketable country megabucks not to drive (2010),
then paid the same un-adaptive and un-communicative driver from a non-marketable country driver megabucks to drive (2014)?

FW17

xactly.

Do you need 2 of the same kind?

PS - I am not sure of the 2010 signing being from an unmarketable country

xpensive

WilliamsF1 wrote:xactly.
PS - I am not sure of the 2010 signing being from an unmarketable country
How many Ferraris were sold in Finland this year?

FW17

Forget ferrari think marlboro

xpensive

WilliamsF1 wrote:Forget ferrari think marlboro
But how many individuals or businesses in Finland, four million inhabitants btw, stashes their money with Santander?

Räikkönen must be very poor business marketing-wise, Alonso on the other hand works in the entire latin world.

Andres125sx

xpensive wrote:As the season is further progressing, Alonso is still almost a second faster than Kimi in final practice, what gives?
I think Alonso is this fast, but I´d also say Kimi is very prone to disconnect if he´s not motivated enough, 2008 comes to my mind.

So I think it´s a bit of both, Kimi is far from his real perfomance, and Alonso is doing a great seasson. That´s what he´s just stated, he said this togheter with 2012 may be his best seasson ever

What makes me think.... what if Ferrari drivers would be Kimi and Massa? Ferrari could be 5th-6th in the WCC easily...

Would tiffosi have set fire to Maranello yet? :twisted:

PlatinumZealot

xpensive wrote:As the season is further progressing, Alonso is still almost a second faster than Kimi in final practice, what gives?
Alonso is not much faster, but much more adaptable.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏