Project Brabham

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Shrieker

Re: Project Brabham

You guys you guys ! I wanna start an F1 team but i have no money ! Wanna support me ?

:lol:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

flyboy2160

This Brabham deal is exactly like this week's South Park Episode, "Go Fund Yourself." http://southpark.cc.com/full-episodes/s ... rt=airdate

What a joke. Maybe it will suck up all the engineer wannabes who don't want to go to school but want to post their dumb ideas online. It will take more manpower to sort through the garbage than it's worth. This is just the egalitarian wussy Twitterheads run amok somewhere else. "Ooohhhh, let's not keep score in sports anymore. Everything is just free and open. There shouldn't be private property; we all own the resources. We have no secrets in our car."

I don't know who's worse,: these Internet of Things Dopes or Bernie with his corded phone mentality.

Cold Fussion

Crowd sourced engineering, what a terrible idea.

Richard

Cold Fussion wrote:Crowd sourced engineering, what a terrible idea.
I hope you're not using Firefox :?

SectorOne

Agreed, it´s like F1Technical....but with an actual F1 team... oh.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

xpensive

Reminds me of Lola's sponsordeal tith Mastercard, which didn't work either.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

flyboy2160

richard_leeds wrote:
The problem is that the Open Source Twitterheads and Googlemobile losers don't see the difference between Geeks sitting at far flung computers sharing code developed as a hobby and engineering and assembling actual hardware and systems in something complex like an airplane or a car - during which people's jobs and income are at stake.

What works with the former doesn't apply to the latter.

Cold Fussion

richard_leeds wrote:
Open source software is not comparable to open source engineering. In any case, engineering a competitive LMP2/1/F1 car relying on part time at best engineers in a recipe for disaster.
Last edited by Cold Fussion on 29 Sep 2014, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

Fulcrum

What a joke.

Typically the most successful crowd funding projects are those that appeal immensely to a very narrow target market. Think techies, and other folk who haven't managed to grow up and put games they played in their childhood behind them.

Along comes someone with a cool idea that appeals to their niche personality, or perhaps resurrecting their long-last and cherished experience. The nostalgia takes hold and induces spending that really doesn't justify the end product.

Yes, there are some projects that fill a justifiable void in the current socio-economic value chain. Typically these are not the projects generating millions in crowd-funding.

Where does the Brabham idea fit? Nostalgia, unfortunately.

motophile

is the idea even tenable,given that rival teams could have access to inside information

natehall

RE
Cold Fussion wrote:
The problem is that the Open Source Twitterheads and Googlemobile losers don't see the difference between Geeks sitting at far flung computers sharing code developed as a hobby and engineering and assembling actual hardware and systems in something complex like an airplane or a car - during which people's jobs and income are at stake.

What works with the former doesn't apply to the latter.
I cant often comment on the technical discussions on here as my skillset is specific to the web and not engineering race cars, but this is right up my alley and your statement above about open source and peoples jobs is complete rubbish.

I hope you have never used Paypal / eBay, which runs on the nginx, quite a commercial company with hundreds of thousands of livelyhoods (employees and small business's) reliant upon them, but nginx is part of the LAMP stack, all Open Source software, or wait a minute have you ever used any website with SSL thorugh openSSL? another open source project is heavily relied upon on the internet for millions of jobs in eCommerce.

On a web frontend level, there are many open source libraries such as jQuery used in a huge number of commercial project.

And as for all the routers out there, that the vast majority of the internet work on, use many pieces of the linux, much more so since the recent Shellshock vulnerability, from your home broadband routers through to Commercial grade Cisco kit, all use a form of unix with the open source linux kernal to provide the IPTables firewall (a commercial grade, open source and Free product), with other free pieces of software from GNU like BASH and proxy servers. I know this software is in use in at least one of the top 4 banks, and one of the major mobile communications companies, due to previous contract work I have undertaken.

Open source is far more than hobbyist developers, and whilst I do not have time to research this final fact is true, I would not be surprised if open source software affects everybody in the developed world in some way, the NHS using Cisco Routers (at least in my locality would affect everyone in one of the UK's biggest cities), and I wouldnt be surprised if they use these routers nationwide.

xpensive

Fulcrum wrote:What a joke.

Typically the most successful crowd funding projects are those that appeal immensely to a very narrow target market. Think techies, and other folk who haven't managed to grow up and put games they played in their childhood behind them.

Along comes someone with a cool idea that appeals to their niche personality, or perhaps resurrecting their long-last and cherished experience. The nostalgia takes hold and induces spending that really doesn't justify the end product.

Yes, there are some projects that fill a justifiable void in the current socio-economic value chain. Typically these are not the projects generating millions in crowd-funding.

Where does the Brabham idea fit? Nostalgia, unfortunately.
Indeed. It could even be a deliberate and heartless scam, though I hope not of course.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

trinidefender

Richard wrote:
Or you know Linux or anything that uses Linux operating system as a base, such as Ubuntu or ya know....ANDROID.

BTW is it just me or is flyboy being rather aggressive these days? Take a chill pill dude, your post seems rather angry.

As far as I was aware they didn't say that the car/team would be designed by crowd sourcing but that they were trying to fund it that way. Quite a big difference....

WaikeCU

Isn't it like this how Kobayashi managed to get a ride for this season? Through part of sponsorship and a part of crowdfunding?