Engine Unfreeze

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive

Re: Engine Unfreeze

Politicians are nicer MOWOG.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

turbof1

xpensive wrote:Politicians are nicer MOWOG.
Let's not excagerate. They are the exact same breed. Remember the 2013 US government shutdown? Yeah that's roughly happening to F1 now, with everybody blocking any and all proposals.
#AeroFrodo

goonerf1

turbof1 wrote:
sectionate wrote:
goonerf1 wrote:I think adopting the WEC's "Equivalence of Performance" rules is the way forward.

If Renault and Merc want to stick to these current crop of expensive hybrid engines, let them.
If Toyota want to join with their 3.7l V8 with ERS front and rear axle + supercapacitor, let them.
Same for Audi, Porsche, Nissan etc. Whatever suits your companies agenda.

Even if you want to run one of the older, cheaper, N/A V8's or 10's, why should you not be allowed to?
F1 is way too restrictive in my view.

Straight off the bat, the WEC got their calculations pretty close this year for LMP1 with a gap of just 0.3 in qualifying, so the FIA Technical Delegate would have absolutely no excuse for not doing the same.

Any reasons why this wouldn't work?
Because the people who control the sport are bat-sh*t-crazy and all have there own agenda...?
That's the reason why this will not work (or for that matter any other sufficient change). They'll fight over lolly pops when one is greener then the other.

It's about time the FIA grew some balls. If they can implement such a rule in their WEC championship they can do exactly the same in F1.

xpensive

goonerf1 wrote: ...
It's about time the FIA grew some balls. If they can implement such a rule in their WEC championship they can do exactly the same in F1.
Jean Todt has been a huge disappointment in that regard, I wonder how he makes each day pass?

goonerf1

xpensive wrote:
Jean Todt has been a huge disappointment in that regard, I wonder how he makes each day pass?

Completely agree. Bernie and the big teams / manufacturers are taking most of the flack at the moment, but Todt and the FIA should be getting their fair share too.

We've heard more from the old FIA president than the current one the past few weeks. I understand he isn't the most comfortable speaking English, which is fair enough, but come on, the FIA is a multi-national multi-lingual corporation. To not have even had a statement delivered on Todt's behalf, as the figurehead of the FIA, is ridiculous.

djos

Engine Unfreeze

I just re-watched Senna tonight with my decent HT system, as the wife and kids are out of the state visiting family, and my God the old Honda 1.6 V6 turbo McLaren sounded good.

Why the hell can't the current units sound half that good?

I know sound is effectively wasted energy but even so???
"In downforce we trust"

GitanesBlondes

Pierce89 wrote:
xpensive wrote:
If WB hadnt gotten the boot, he'd be ready to fight over that remark. Hed'd tell us how Todt had pragmatically thought through each option and made wonderful golden decisions. He'd also tell you how the new power units are saving the world and would've saved the galaxy had evil Ferrari not single handedly pushed us to 6 cylinders completely unbeknownst to Mercedes, who are really just out to save the world.

Ok I'm done.
But I imagine Todt just sits there on the Place de la Concorde watching F1 races on repeat from 2000 thru 2004.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

Kingshark

2015 Mercedes engine "One second a lap faster", Honda engine at similar level to 2014 Merc engine
Insiders say the new Honda engine is already close to producing a similar level of performance to the Mercedes turbo hybrid V6 which has dominated Formula 1 this season.

But the Japanese company may need to find considerably more performance ahead of the new season if it is to be competitive, as Mercedes are said to have made significant steps forward with their power unit for 2015.

Even under rules restricting development, sources say Mercedes have improved their engine enough to translate into a performance gain of about a second a lap for next season.

As well as the factory Mercedes team, the German company will supply in 2015 Williams, Force India and Lotus, who have replaced McLaren as a customer
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/30060635

dans79

Kingshark wrote:2015 Mercedes engine "One second a lap faster", Honda engine at similar level to 2014 Merc engine
Insiders say the new Honda engine is already close to producing a similar level of performance to the Mercedes turbo hybrid V6 which has dominated Formula 1 this season.

But the Japanese company may need to find considerably more performance ahead of the new season if it is to be competitive, as Mercedes are said to have made significant steps forward with their power unit for 2015.

Even under rules restricting development, sources say Mercedes have improved their engine enough to translate into a performance gain of about a second a lap for next season.

As well as the factory Mercedes team, the German company will supply in 2015 Williams, Force India and Lotus, who have replaced McLaren as a customer

If it's true, can you imagine what the complaining will be like next year. :wtf:
197 104 103 7

turbof1

Although the name of whiteblue might be very vaguely associated with freezing, I don't think such a discussion is appropiate here. I'm removing the posts and pieces of post that are about WB and not the engine unfreeze.
#AeroFrodo

oT v1

dans79 wrote:
Kingshark wrote:2015 Mercedes engine "One second a lap faster", Honda engine at similar level to 2014 Merc engine

If it's true, can you imagine what the complaining will be like next year. :wtf:
I presume Ferarri and Renault will find a lot too, but even so, good! So refreshing seeing Williams up there and hopefully a much prettier Lotus next season. I am a long long way from complaining about RBR not being competitive!
The Power of Dreams

xpensive

WilliamsF1 wrote:
xpensive wrote:F1's biggest problem was these new ultra-xpensive engines, an epic mistake, bring back the V8s, or better still the 3.0 V10s
BS

The manufacturers are spending the same; only now they are charging a huge sum to their customers who are more than 1
BS, is it now?

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/11/l ... tribution/

mclaren111

Regardless of everthing we all say, the following will always be in the way:

1. Humans are competive beasts in nature - will never change.

2. Money is Power and rules everthing - will never change.

3. The Ones with Money and Power will never give it away for nothing - will never change.

Thus, F1 need to operate as best as possible within these boundries, and we the fans as an Interest Group must try and influance what we can as best we can - will never change.

GPR-A duplicate2

McLaren wants Engine Unfreeze.

It appears that McLaren Honda has met the same fate as Renault and Ferrari.
"Boullier admits he has concerns that Mercedes could be in a position to dominate the sport for years unless the rules are relaxed."

frosty125

They may feel they are behind but I would actually suggest that they are confident that they can have a strong development programme and try and out spend the competition. What leads me to this are things like there new facility in Japan which has 30 dynos.