Who will win in Bahrain?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jgredline

If the Mercedez engine does not blow up we will see Monty in the winners circle.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
To finish first, first you must finish.

ranger

What about Iceman? :roll:
You never know what's going to happen. - Daniel

icef1mkd

Renault will beat them all
"You will never know the feeling of a driver
when winning a race. The helmet hides feelings
that cannot be understood."
Ayrton Senna, November 1988

Vasco

Mclaren struggled in Barcelona to keep up with renault and honda. I think it will be straight forward victory for renault:

1. Alonso
2. Fisi
3. Button

emburmak

I would go for MS. That's what my head tells me 8) . As for my heart JPM :lol: . My eyes (from the testing season) FA! :wink:

West

I dreamt about the first F1 race last night. I dreamt I missed it (and I will later on this week), but I got to watch an "after race." Of course nobody would ever think of a race after F1. They were cars made of paper mache and shaped like bumper cars, but I think Gary Paffett was driving one of them. I remember one having West sponsorship.

Aside from that, it's probably Fernando, Button, and Trulli
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Principessa

You think Trulli will do well? I'm afraid that he might suffer from the new qualifying format....But...It would be nice to see him on podium

johny

we probably won't see the trulli train :cry:

Ciro Pabón

How wonderful! This is clearly a gossip theme. It seems like pure popular wisdom. With dreams and Mercedez and all. Let's see...

First, there is The group of three: Raikkonen, Alonso, Schumacher, in that order.

You know why. You can see I am betting on Raikkonen's suicidal rage over Alonso's luck/courage and tipping my hat to Schumacher (or that I am thinking that Bruce McLaren was better than anything Renault and Ferrari could throw at him and it shows, even after his posthumous defeat by car companies).

Second, The great "almosts" (ouch!): Button, Montoya, Barrichello, also in that order.

Those guys have what I would call "partial perfection". They excel at something (style, balls, inspiration). But they have some weaknesses, like all of us (except the three, of course). Note my antidemocratic position on Honda and my complaint to Montoya: Juan Pablo, what are you doing in this list?

Third, I cannot resist to nominate The professional guys: Fisichella, Massa, Webber, Ralph Schumacher, Trulli They do not have "it", but they are great. They have to be great to be driving a car like that, but... (they have a but).

Fourth, I summon The long odds. Rosberg, Coulthard, Heidfeld, Klien, Villeneuve They are a strange mixture of old and new. They were or they could be really good.

Fifth, you could say that we have The I do not know what are they doing here but maybe... guys. Sato, Monteiro, Albers, Liuzzi, Speed, Ide.

And I turn on my TV for the 2006 F1 championship...
Ciro

phantomfocus

My favorites go like this:

Renault
Honda
Mclaren
Ferrari
Toyota
Williams

Renault ended last season on top and have given us zero signs as to why we should think otherwise. I also think Fisi has been rejuvenated over the
offseason, and is looking forward to a clean start of the season.

Honda have definitly been the suprise of the offseason. Their pace has
been very encouraging, and possibly even more impressive has been the
mileage they have but on their package. Now Button has Rubino to push him, this could definitly be a team to watch out for in 06 and don't forget they were also one of three teams to test in Bahrain already!

It feels weird to be placing the Mclaren in the third spot, the only reason I have them here is simply because of their reliablity issues. If you could garantee no failures I would most likely expect a win, or least a podium. Their pace is downright scary fast, but for how long?

Lets be honest, Ferrari hasn't had the best offseason ever, but they still have a top if not the top driver in Schuy, and Massa is no pushover. I don't expect any failures despite their recent testing problems. Ferrari is known for their reliability, and I don't expect them to give up reliability for all out speed. Don't forget they have also tested in Bahrain.

Of all the teams Toyota scares me the most. It has been very impressive to see how prepared the team has been since the beginning of winter testing. On the first day they had their complete 06 car less the aero package but including the V8. But they have been very quiet these last couple weeks since the debut of the new aero package. First they tested it alone, then with a group but never raising too much intrest. I think they may not be showing their entire hand, and could be very impressive come Sunday.

Numbers wise it doesn't feel right to have Williams ranked sixth on my list. I mean 6th! that's down there. But when I compare them to the names above this, I have them falling here according to the strength of their package. I know the Cosworth may be the best engine but I think right now the chassis is so so. I'm just not sold on thier performance based on this winters testing. They had some days where they were quickest but most times the big guns weren't there running at the same time. But then again I wouldn't be all that suprized to see Webber stick it in the top 5!

Don't forget about the new quailifying format, I am really excited to see it how it will all play out. Sorry for the length, but I wanted to explain why I put who where. :D

ketanpaul

thanks phantomfocus. you have clearly put this into a nice perspective. I think most us would agree with your analysis and ranking. and atleast i dont mind the length until its a nice post!
I would also like to say that i think that a podium or a win for williams will come later in the season. their car looks good and with certain mods throughout the year, i do think a top 5 is very much possible

Ciro Pabón

Well, maybe I was lucky. I cannot resist to say (after the race) that I almost nailed it... except for Raikkonen car failure, which I should have anticipated. This confirms my egothistic and human-centered opinion: this is like horse racing, it mainly depends on the jockey.

Phantomfocus, for example, analyzed cars and was wide off the mark, specially about Totota. For me, it is not Toyota, it is Ralph who is racing.
Ciro

acer

this topic already out-dated......Bahrain GP is over and you Ciro Pabon...you are posting something what is off the subject
You will never know the feeling of a driver when winning a race. The helmet hides feelings that cannot be understood. - Ayrton Senna

Scuderia_Russ

acer wrote:this topic already out-dated......Bahrain GP is over and you Ciro Pabon...you are posting something what is off the subject
After some of the crap you have posted compared to Ciro's considered well thought out posts you cannot be serious Ranger!

@ Tomba... have a word mate.
Last edited by Scuderia_Russ on 13 Mar 2006, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

I totally agree, S-R.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.