Would a covered cockpit have helped Bianchi ?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
henra

Re: Would a covered cockpit have helped Bianchi ?

WilliamsF1 wrote:That hole had nothing to do with it.
Any car with a diffuser or tunnel will flip when it is run backward
In Indy Car since they closed the hole in the rear 'bumpers' on the Chevy Chassis no such behaviour has occured any more. Before there were quite a number of such occurrences. So, empirically I would say it seems to have helped. And: No not every car with a diffuser will flip when running backwards.

Just_a_fan

:roll: I suggest you read the article in the October 2015 Racecar Engineering...Tino Belli (director of aerodynamic development at IndyCar) and Chris Berube (Chevrolet programme manager) suggests otherwise. They were surprised by it - unintended consequences yet again.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

FW17

Just_a_fan wrote:

:roll: I suggest you read the article in the October 2015 Racecar Engineering...Tino Belli (director of aerodynamic development at IndyCar) and Chris Berube (Chevrolet programme manager) suggests otherwise. They were surprised by it - unintended consequences yet again.

I am not a subscriber

So did they find a way to prevent a car travelling backward at 200 mph from flipping? :lol:

May be they should incorporate it in F1 too................

I hope you believe that every component in F1 has been written into the regulations without ANY unintended consequence.

schick

I'm obviously missing something here, enclosed cockpits, exploding bolts, ejector seats? surely this is over egging the problem, the answer is simple, when "DOUBLE" yellows are displayed you slow down! don't try and take advantage of a situation to make up time, the impact speed of 205kph? showed complete disregard for marshals and their safety.

Moose

schick wrote:I'm obviously missing something here, enclosed cockpits, exploding bolts, ejector seats? surely this is over egging the problem, the answer is simple, when "DOUBLE" yellows are displayed you slow down! don't try and take advantage of a situation to make up time, the impact speed of 205kph? showed complete disregard for marshals and their safety.
And that would have helped Wilson, Wheldon, Surtees and Massa how?

Jonnycraig

Bianchi's father has been talking to the BBC. Confirms that he was brain dead instantly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34343552

turbof1

"But for Jules's incident, it's not the same, because as a doctor explained to me, it's not that he took something on the head, the deceleration was too big and a closed cockpit wouldn't have changed anything.
This effectively confirms Jules never took a blow to the head and that it purely was the deacceleration.

I'm all for a closed cockpit since it could have helped avoided accidents like Surtees and Massa, but in Jules' case the big issue was deacceleration. Sadly the car hit the truck on a place where no crash structure was present to soften the blow. Unless you are able to design a closed cockpit which somehow can also act as a crash structure.
#AeroFrodo

CBeck113

turbof1 wrote:
"But for Jules's incident, it's not the same, because as a doctor explained to me, it's not that he took something on the head, the deceleration was too big and a closed cockpit wouldn't have changed anything.
This effectively confirms Jules never took a blow to the head and that it purely was the deacceleration.

I'm all for a closed cockpit since it could have helped avoided accidents like Surtees and Massa, but in Jules' case the big issue was deacceleration. Sadly the car hit the truck on a place where no crash structure was present to soften the blow. Unless you are able to design a closed cockpit which somehow can also act as a crash structure.
No, it does not say he didn't have an impact to his helmet. It says that the impact was not the root cause for the damage, but the deceleration.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

turbof1

it's not that he took something on the head, the deceleration was too big and a closed cockpit wouldn't have changed anything.
I think that is very clear on this. But assuming (why I am even going down that path I don't know) he did took something on the head, the cockpit would not have mattered in any case since you yourself underline the deacceleration was at the root. A canopy or something similar is not going to change that.

(btw, what do we have there in your signature :P?)
#AeroFrodo

FW17

Moose

That's deffinately an interesting concept. It would have prevented most of the accidents listed above, but notably I don't think would have helped Surtees.

Thunder

How would the Driver see anything in Front of him with that Concept?
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Moose

Thunders wrote:How would the Driver see anything in Front of him with that Concept?
Through... the transparent material?

flynfrog

Moose wrote:
Thunders wrote:How would the Driver see anything in Front of him with that Concept?
Through... the transparent material?
At that angle the distortion would be pretty bad.

When I drove the solar cars it took some getting used to looking out of the curved canopy.

Thunder

Thanks, i didn't realize one could see through glass... ;)

No i mean the Chassis in front of the Driver is actually raising, the Driver would never be able to see the Street, only mayba a Rear Wing in Front of him. Don't know how that would Play out for the race Leader. ^^
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum