Classic but forgotten racing images.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Re: Classic but forgotten racing images.

Great pix, cheers chaps.. ..but captions to match.. would be even better - if you please..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

strad

Sorry but the most recent come from a file a friend gave me which has some nice shots but zero info.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FW17

Anyone seen this image before

Schumacher testing how good a Renault engine was compared to his Ford in 1994

Morteza

Nelson Piquet, Parmalat Brabham-BMW BT52 ~ 1983 Monaco Grand Prix

Credits: Classic Formula 1
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

strad

Monaco 1965
The 'Ring 1964
France 1964
Monaco 1966
First suspension mounted wing British GP @ Brands Hatch
Start @ South Africa 1967
Lap 1 France 1964
Lance Reventlow - Scarab @ Monaco 1960
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Nickel
Nickel

Fantastic pictures, thank you for posting!

stefan_
stefan_

Not wanting to hijack the thread or anything, but I have a page where I uploaded close to 8000 pictures from the 1950 - 1999 period in Formula 1.

The page is called F1 History and can be found here
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

strad

If I've put a couple of these up before I have to apologize I haven't kept a list.
1953 Alberto Ascari @ Silverstone
Jody Scheckter
South African GP 1979
Winner Mario Andretti Japanese GP, Fuji 1976
British GP, Silverstone 1965
Mike Spence -Lotus leads John Surtees- Ferrari
British GP, Silverstone 1965 Graham Hill BRM
Sir Stirling Moss

MadMatt
MadMatt

stefan_ wrote:Not wanting to hijack the thread or anything, but I have a page where I uploaded close to 8000 pictures from the 1950 - 1999 period in Formula 1.

That's one of the most astonishing collection I have seen on internet! Would be awesome to have all in a .ZIP file but I'm probably asking too much here :oops:

stefan_
stefan_

MadMatt wrote:
stefan_ wrote:Not wanting to hijack the thread or anything, but I have a page where I uploaded close to 8000 pictures from the 1950 - 1999 period in Formula 1.

That's one of the most astonishing collection I have seen on internet! Would be awesome to have all in a .ZIP file but I'm probably asking too much here :oops:
Thanks a lot and I am really glad that you enjoy it. As for the last part, unfortunately yes, you are :D

It wouldn't be a problem, but once I upload a photo I delete it from my computer, so the pictures you see there aren't on my HDD anymore.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

bdr529

So your the guy with the kick ass photo collection, every time I start looking at it 1/2 hour disappears.
great job collecting all those photos, it's a real treasure trove of history

stefan_
stefan_

Hehe :) Yes, it's mine.

Sombrero
Sombrero

Jean-Pierre Beltoise testing the Ligier JS5-Matra V-12 in december 1975 at Paul-Ricard. The Ligier JS5 had probably the biggest airbox ever in F-1. You can see the inside part of it in the second picture with Ducarouge (sun glasses) on the right.

More on Beltoise and the Ligier : http://forums.autosport.com/topic/63241 ... he-ligier/

WaikeCU

Jos Verstappen testing for Benetton in 1998. He became the test driver for the team, but eventually got a seat during the season replacing Jan Magnussen at Stewart.

stefan_
stefan_

Jos Verstappen (Bridgestone Test 1996)

Jos Verstappen driving during a Bridgestone test session preparing the company's entrance in Formula 1 in 1997.

The car is a Ligier JS41 powered by a Mugen Honda MF-301h, 2,998 cc (182.9 cu in), 72° V10, NA, mid-engine, longitudinally mounted.

Damon Hill (Bridgestone Test 1996)

Damon Hill talking with a Bridgestone technician durin a test session for the new Bridgestone tires.