Possible race on "the strip", Las Vegas.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SectorOne

Possible race on "the strip", Las Vegas.

I think this one might actually happen.

Ecclestone in talks over Las Vegas F1 race
Bernie Ecclestone says he is in talks with Las Vegas about hosting a grand prix on The Strip.

Ecclestone has made no secret of his desire to see more F1 races in the United States, with a recent attempt to host a race in New Jersey falling by the wayside. However, he now says he has held discussions about a grand prix in Las Vegas.

“Vegas say they are ready to go and it would be on The Strip for sure,” Ecclestone told Christian Sylt, published in The Independent.

However, Ecclestone admits there is no guarantee of a race coming to fruition following the failings in New Jersey.

“In the end there's a million countries that would like to have an F1 race but they can't afford it."

The Mexican Grand Prix is set to join the calendar in 2015, seeing the current number of races reach 20. And Ecclestone expects a record calendar the following year when a race in Azerbaijan is also added.

“It is more likely that it will go over 20 with Baku than we lose a race,” he said.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/209885/1/e ... mpaign=rss

Seems like half the calendar will be street races soon if this continues.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

xpensive

Re: Possible race on "the strip", Las Vegas.

Viva Las Vegas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOoKzw3JSCM

The 80s tack on Ceasar's Palace's parking lot.

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

MOWOG

Seems like half the calendar will be street races soon if this continues.
Which is precisely what the superannuated octogenarian wants. For the past 20 years he has dreamed of races in the heart of London and Paris and New York City. He wants to bring racing to where the people are rather than the other way around. Remember that he totally rejects the digital revolution and is probably still skeptical about television.

He is a fool and a dangerous lunatic. Las Vegas? :wtf: I would rather go to Indianapolis than Las Vegas. :-"
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

xpensive

Dallas 1984, hottest F1 race ever, with Keke taking a miraculous win with the lightswitch Honda turbo and Mansell collapsing when trying to push his out of fuel Lotus across the line, a great race on a hopeless track!

astracrazy

tbh it would be quiet cool here. drop Singapore and replace it with a night race in Las Vagas. It would look the part.

But for sure, Bernis is seeing $$$$$$ in his eyes here with all the big 'whales' and 'high rollers' in town - which is why i could see it happening too.

SiLo

I don't care about the scenery too much, as long as the track is a cracker and provides ample opportunities for overtaking and also is difficult for the drivers to master. But it would be cool to race here.
Felipe Baby!

SectorOne

"Eccy" will meet the organisers while F1 is in USA next weekend.
Bernie Ecclestone will meet with the organisers of the proposed Las Vegas Grand Prix ahead of the United States GP in a weeks time. The 83-year-old revealed that he was approached by a group of businessmen with the idea of taking F1 back to Las Vegas where it last raced in 1982.
Though the idea has been dismissed by some, it's believed plans are actually at an advanced stage with renowned track designer Hermann Tilke already having already visited the city to look at potential routes.
Speaking to Autoweek, Ecclestone confirmed the meeting will take placed, but admitted he wasn't sure as to whether or not the race will actually go ahead. "There is a consortium in Las Vegas that wants to arrange a race," he said.
"They are very serious and want me to go out there on the way to Texas so we will see.
"Whether they are going to do it I don't know," he added.
The idea of racing down the iconic Las Vegas strip is part of a plan to diversify the city and how it earns its revenues. Whilst gambling revenue hit almost £4 billion in 2013, it has been in steady decline with forecasts putting 2014 almost 12% down on the same time last year.
Hotels and local businesses are keen to attract new tourists for purposes other than gambling and F1 could help do just that. - See more at:

http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/0 ... b4HeM.dpuf
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

xpensive

WaikeCU

Night race at Vegas sounds cool. Also on Wednesday night a texas hold'em poker late night event with 10 random drivers at the table.

Gaz.

astracrazy wrote:tbh it would be quiet cool here. drop Singapore and replace it with a night race in Las Vagas. It would look the part.

http://my-photo-blog.com/wp-content/upl ... -strip.jpg

But for sure, Bernis is seeing $$$$$$ in his eyes here with all the big 'whales' and 'high rollers' in town - which is why i could see it happening too.
Because of the time difference, wouldn't a night race have to be held before sunrise on Sunday morning? A 3am start would be 11am in London.
Forza Jules

WaikeCU

Gaz. wrote:
astracrazy wrote:tbh it would be quiet cool here. drop Singapore and replace it with a night race in Las Vagas. It would look the part.

http://my-photo-blog.com/wp-content/upl ... -strip.jpg

Because of the time difference, wouldn't a night race have to be held before sunrise on Sunday morning? A 3am start would be 11am in London.
Wow, you mean just the opposite like nowadays? Start in the dark early hours and slowly the sunrise appears throughout the race? That would be special.

astracrazy

i'll be honest i didn't think of timing just though it would be pretty cool

who couldn't it start around midnight? and be on early morning for europe?

midnight would be 08:00am in the UK?

countersteer

Champ Car held a street race in Vegas in 2007. Can't find a track map... grrr...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Vegas_Grand_Prix

astracrazy

is it this?

google maps: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/36.17 ... m0!1m0!3e2

well away from the strip

Javert

LOL what a circuit!!