VW Enters.................

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
acosmichippo

Re: VW Enters.................

I can't believe Red Bull is willing to sell Toro Rosso considering how successful it has been with promoting young drivers. But if Red Bull is as friendly with VW as the article claims, maybe they've worked out a deal to keep using people from the Red Bull Driver program.

wesley123

Sombrero wrote:Against all odds I think Audi is working at a new hybrid petrol LMP1 for the future.
This.

Audi has been in the LMPs since '99 with a team that has stayed the same and is growing quite old. McNish has retired and so did Kristensen this year for example. They have all been replaced by young guys who have a future ahead of them.

Audi is rebuilding their LMP team and their hirings reflect that.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

xpensive

acosmichippo wrote:I can't believe Red Bull is willing to sell Toro Rosso considering how successful it has been with promoting young drivers. But if Red Bull is as friendly with VW as the article claims, maybe they've worked out a deal to keep using people from the Red Bull Driver program.
Selling off Toro Rosso might actually indicate Dieter Mateschitz' intention of getting out of F1 altogether.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Pierce89

wesley123 wrote:
Sombrero wrote:Against all odds I think Audi is working at a new hybrid petrol LMP1 for the future.
This.

Audi has been in the LMPs since '99 with a team that has stayed the same and is growing quite old. McNish has retired and so did Kristensen this year for example. They have all been replaced by young guys who have a future ahead of them.

Jorge Zander reflects a continuing interest in lmp? Wasn't he responsible for the bgp001?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

KeiKo403

Only problem I see there would be engines. Surely the VW group wouldn't allow a VW brand to have a Renault engine powering it. So then lets assume that Audi/VW etc have an engine in development. Would Red Bull risk 'their' B team having a better power train then the A team and potentially be beating them in Qualy/Races. That would certainly see the end for Renault in the sport.

Manoah2u

KeiKo403 wrote:Only problem I see there would be engines. Surely the VW group wouldn't allow a VW brand to have a Renault engine powering it. So then lets assume that Audi/VW etc have an engine in development. Would Red Bull risk 'their' B team having a better power train then the A team and potentially be beating them in Qualy/Races. That would certainly see the end for Renault in the sport.
Yes, but RedBull have had interest in VW in the past iirc. There are mountains trying to be shifted in order to get the Renault engine up to power. But if in 2015 the PU is still lightyears off, then could RedBull be interested and perhaps already be prepared for a VW entry?

A very, very unlikely possibility; but;

Could VW be investigating F1 market or applyability by actually behind the schemes be building a regulation-compliant full F1-spec V6T Hybrid power plant? And then if they have it, see if they'd actually get into F1 with it or apply it in another sports car division?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

acosmichippo

seems like an awful lot of money to waste just for an investigation.

KeiKo403

Manoah2u wrote:
KeiKo403 wrote:Only problem I see there would be engines. Surely the VW group wouldn't allow a VW brand to have a Renault engine powering it. So then lets assume that Audi/VW etc have an engine in development. Would Red Bull risk 'their' B team having a better power train then the A team and potentially be beating them in Qualy/Races. That would certainly see the end for Renault in the sport.
Yes, but RedBull have had interest in VW in the past iirc. There are mountains trying to be shifted in order to get the Renault engine up to power. But if in 2015 the PU is still lightyears off, then could RedBull be interested and perhaps already be prepared for a VW entry?
But I can't see VW buying Torro Rosso, investing millions into both the purchase of the team and the R&D of the V6T Hybrid just for Renault to leave the sport, Red Bull take VW engines and then the VW team (Torro Rosso) to not get a look in when Red Bull beat them with their own engines. I can't see Red Bull being a engine customer team any time soon, Mercedes, Ferrari or Honda won't sell them theirs.

How long is the Infiniti title set to last?

user001

Manoah2u wrote:

A very, very unlikely possibility; but;

Could VW be investigating F1 market or applyability by actually behind the schemes be building a regulation-compliant full F1-spec V6T Hybrid power plant? And then if they have it, see if they'd actually get into F1 with it or apply it in another sports car division?
the more seasons and years past the less can be altered regarding engine development/homologation.

therefore i don't see VW entering as the frame conditions get worse and worse.

also the rant Piech and Ecclestone have had makes an early VVW entry unlikely, as mentioned in the media.

Ecclestone is maybe till 2018 in his seat and makes a VW entry nearly impossible.

the only possibility I do see is if the current engine regulations get axed or weakened but I think this is unlikely.

what could be change regarding the regulations after 2015 in 2016 with only the majority vote? in season development? more tokens?

TAG

Are you certain about that? What's the situation for Honda in 2015 when their engine is homologated? If that's the case there would be zero impetus for new engine manufactures to jump into the sport and I don't believe that to be the case. I could see a situation where the tokens per year of development is applied to new entrants as well.

Special exceptions were made for Renault with the V8s to allow them to catch up.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

wesley123

Pierce89 wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
This.

Jorge Zander reflects a continuing interest in lmp? Wasn't he responsible for the bgp001?
He replaces Dr. Martin Mühlmeier who has been Audi sport's "Head of technology" for quite a long time, for at least since 1999 when Audi entered into LMPs. The title isn't a single motorsport direction afaik.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

pob

TAG wrote:Are you certain about that? What's the situation for Honda in 2015 when their engine is homologated? If that's the case there would be zero impetus for new engine manufactures to jump into the sport and I don't believe that to be the case. I could see a situation where the tokens per year of development is applied to new entrants as well.

Special exceptions were made for Renault with the V8s to allow them to catch up.

New engine manufacturers would have to abide by the same token levels as existing manufacturers (the token levels are listed by calendar year, not by date from first homologation), and even worse, the first power unit is not allowed to be better than any of the existing manufacturers' power units: it would fall under 1c of appendix 4 of the sporting regs where "the FIA [must be] satisfied, in its absolute discretion and after full consultation with all other power units for the championship, [the power unit] could fairly and equitably be allowed to compete with other homologated power units".
There is no impetus for new engine manufacturers to enter the sport from a competitive perspective. #-o

Manoah2u

pob wrote:
TAG wrote:Are you certain about that? What's the situation for Honda in 2015 when their engine is homologated? If that's the case there would be zero impetus for new engine manufactures to jump into the sport and I don't believe that to be the case. I could see a situation where the tokens per year of development is applied to new entrants as well.

New engine manufacturers would have to abide by the same token levels as existing manufacturers (the token levels are listed by calendar year, not by date from first homologation), and even worse, the first power unit is not allowed to be better than any of the existing manufacturers' power units: it would fall under 1c of appendix 4 of the sporting regs where "the FIA [must be] satisfied, in its absolute discretion and after full consultation with all other power units for the championship, [the power unit] could fairly and equitably be allowed to compete with other homologated power units".
There is no impetus for new engine manufacturers to enter the sport from a competitive perspective. #-o
so wait.....how can the Mercedes engine then be so more competitive compared to the disgraceful Renault and Ferrari power units???
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

CHT
CHT

pastaracing wrote:Buying ToroRosso and brand it Lamborghini??
http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/f ... tid=173829

Rumours are at least fun to read in this endless winter silence. I want the 2015 season to begin !!
Lambo in F1? Unless they bring back V10 or V12.

user001

Manoah2u wrote:
so wait.....how can the Mercedes engine then be so more competitive compared to the disgraceful Renault and Ferrari power units???
because they did a better job ever since.