Michael Schumacher - WDC 20th anniversary

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
MadMatt

Michael Schumacher - WDC 20th anniversary

Michael Schumacher's website has opened again today to celebrate the 20th anniversary of his 1st WDC title back in 1994:

http://www.michael-schumacher.de/en/

I think it is a good occasion to open a thread to talk about memories we have. I don't want any discussion about the accident that happened almost 1 year ago now. This is just a thread to remember him as a racer! :)

luke!

Re: Michael Schumacher's memories

Now I'm 20 years old, in the first F1 races I saw (1999), he was the man of the moment. He was the man who could win easily making a 4 stop strategy or having a drive-through in the last lap of the race. Nothing else to say.

santos

Re: Michael Schumacher memories

There are so many good memories from him. I really miss the Formula 1 from the years that he raced in Beneton and Ferrari.

WaikeCU

Re: Michael Schumacher - 20th of the first WDC

1998 Hungarian GP. 'nuff said!

turbof1

Re: Michael Schumacher - WDC 20th anniversary

Although it's a milestone, it does give a bitter-sweet taste since he won the title both in controversial and tragic circumstances back then. Not really sure, for me personally, if this something to celebrate, although there are many more events from him in those 20 years that are much more clear-cut superhuman feats.
#AeroFrodo

GitanesBlondes

Schumacher should have been kicked out of that championship for that stunt at Adelaide.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV4FFTHjS0c[/youtube]
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

santos

GitanesBlondes wrote:Schumacher should have been kicked out of that championship for that stunt at Adelaide.
As Senna should have been banned when pushed Prost off track in Japan.

turbof1

Well, it's an issue to celebrate a stained title. However, there's no denial that within those 20 years Schumacher often did more heroïc and more clean feats (yes there are also more stained events next to that, but that's not what the topic is about).
#AeroFrodo

FoxHound

GitanesBlondes wrote:Schumacher should have been kicked out of that championship for that stunt at Adelaide.
Personally, I think Schumacher deserved that championship for pushing a superior Williams FW16 to the final race.
JET set

lotus7

santos wrote:
As Senna should have been banned when pushed Prost off track in Japan.
But... Schumacher didn't warn Hill before he pushed him .

CBeck113

He was tenacious, and did everything possible to win. If those actions were always admirable, may be questionable, but he isn't referred to as a seven time successful and two times almost made it but then busted cheating champion, right? Well, except maybe from Damon & Jacques :D

On top of that, you gotta have balls to even try some of the --- he pulled off. For that he will always have my respect - he never stopped pushing the limits to create & preserve a successful team, both on and off the track.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Aesto

Adelaide 1994 was the first F1 race I ever watched - Schumacher was my childhood hero from that point on :D

Back then, seeing the crash live, and without any prior knowledge about F1, I thought it was 100% Hill's fault. Now my opinion has obviously changed a little, but let's not get into that too much, as it's pointless anyway :p

turbof1

The way I look at it, no matter if he crossed the line or not, he atleast fought every bit for it. It's the person that never backs down, keeps going at it. And that's what makes him enigmatic. I'm sure he is doing the exact same thing right now.

Hopefully we can celebrate with 19 years and a little bit that he had a serious brain injury and recovered completely from it!
#AeroFrodo

Manoah2u

Agreed. Like him or hate him, but that goes for any driver.

Schumacher did insanely good. So good that it got boring from time to time, the way he just dusted off in the Ferrari.
But make no mistake; it was hard, hard blood sweat and tears work.

Schumacher has been a point of many controversies, but to be honest, was adressed a bit unfair from time to time.
Admittedly, i wasn't the biggest fan of Schumi in the past - hell, I was for Hill and Hakkinen back in the day - but wihout
question he was an amazing driver.

Like said above; he's been adressed on his 'tactics' on slamming into hill, yet at the same time Senna 'the legend' can do no harm in slamming his vehicle into Prost.

It's a shame and tragedy on so many levels Senna is gone, but i've always felt we've been stolen of a battle of giants should Senna not have passed away. Schumacher VS Senna. It would have been amazing.

Senna adressed Schumi on some of his moves, and perhaps even rightfully so - but in the heat of the moment, in the heat of the situations....Schumacher had a run-in with Coulthard, won't forget that one.

If any, Schumacher carried a very 'dark horse' trophy with him - the F1 world shocked after the death of Senna, which essentially changed F1. Meanwhile Schumacher will always carry the load of winning the WDC in the year Senna died.

I don't really like the way Schumacher gets hated for when he was smiling for his win in that horrible Imola weekend.
Frankly, i really doubt Schumacher fully understood what happened. Hell, one might doubt how much info was handed.
Senna was seen as nearly immortal and I could very well imagine a fresh F1 driver whom held him up as his hero would have been worried about the accident and that he was taken away in a helicopter, but I can just as much imagine a young bloke reasoning "hey he was still alive, they let the race go, so he must be getting well again.". For sure he'd concentrate on winning this race, which he did.

Schumacher has been winning races since his very start in F1 till the very end (of his first 'career').

I actually have more respect for Schumacher learning about the complications of his motorcycle accident. It wasn't untill his horrible Ski accident where atleast for me I understood he had suffered brain damage from his moto accident. That means he drove @ Mercedes with a brain that was not the same as before.....just look it up.

Schumacher might have not been so 'expressive' as the latino-cultured Senna, but he had some emotions with him, and
I like that. It shows the superhuman driver is still human.

ImageImage

Still to be able to perform then at that age, in a car that clearly was not nr1 and still be putting up a great fight? Wow.

Just look at how hard Lewis is having a time dealing with Nico, and Schumacher did a mighty good job against Nico.
Wonder how he'd done without that Moto injury....I feel like he'd been right up his good old alley; amazing.

So there you have it; If i had to say one thing about Schumacher the racer?

- Amazing.

#Keepfightingschumi

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ecapox

This is one image i'll never forget....